“Warm, friendly and fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hebasca

Hebasca
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Bude
Derby
“Warm, friendly and fantastic”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Have just returned from spending 3 nights at the Hebasca and it was everything that it promised on the website. We stayed in the 'Playroom' which was spacious, modern and well designed. The bathroom, (TV over the bath and double drench showers) was an absolute joy! We ate at both the restaurant at the Hebasca and at Tommy Jacks, the sister hotel up the road. The food at both establishments was absolutely fantastic and I'd recommend all guests staying at either hotel to try both! Breakfast was both tasty and substantial, with a choice of 3, as well as cereals, pastries and yogurts. Having said all of the above, the most impressive aspect of the hotel was its staff, who were all incredibly friendly. There's usually at least one member of staff at a hotel who is a little grumpier than the rest- not so at the Hebasca. Tom in particular was very helpful.

If you are staying on Bude, or seeing sights at Tintangel, Boscastle or Widemouth Bay, then I would thoroughly recommend staying at the Hebasca! Convenient location, modern, clean and friendly. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Playroom- it's worth it!
Hebasca G, General Manager at Hebasca, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear ASSGill
Thank you for your review of Hebasca. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as your meal at Tommy Jacks. The playroom is quite something and we are delighted that you enjoyed all the extra touches.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.
The Hebasca team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed at Hebasca for 3 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday. Had the most perfect sleep, a delicious breakfast with choices of yogurts, pastries, cereals, fruit juices as well as a beautifully cooked breakfast! Rooms were cleaned every day and all towels were changed. The staff were incredibly welcoming, polite and always attentive. Overall the attention to detail at this hotel is flawless. Our stay was so relaxing, so perfect that we did not want to leave. We'll definitely be back at this hotel soon!

Hebasca G, General Manager at Hebasca, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear JMPSapphire,
Thank you for your review and for choosing Hebasca to celebrate your husbands birthday. We are pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay - from the beds to the yoghurt selection.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Someone has put a lot of thought into this hotel and it shows. Having been on their website, I was expecting it to be a Cornish version of Urban Beach in Bournemouth, and I wasn't far wrong. I'd heard of Hebasca so when in the area I thought I'd make an excuse to give it a go.

The hotel is in a pretty easy to find position with its own car park tucked around the side. The first impressions are excellent, both outside (location, presentation of building, signage) and inside. The lobby area has a huge glass pyramid roof and you can see through to the back area with some really funky wall covering and a large cluster of different size globes (I wonder if they were meant to be clouds). But promptly as soon as I walked in, I was greeted by the chap (I think his name was Tom) from behind the bar who came over to man the reception desk. Check-in was really friendly, he showed me where the bar and restaurant were, asked whether I'd be eating there - I was - and took me to my room.

Into here, I've got to say the staff are absolutely excellent. A really friendly, buzzing bunch who really make the service in the hotel. There seemed to be quite a few of them, all working across the various areas as clearly not shy to get involved and serve their guests, and they were all great people - a perfect match for the hotel.

The hotel's decor is distinctly modern, very fresh, bright and not fussy. The bar area was split across two levels with really nice seating, the restaurant was pretty large and well decorated with views onto the outside decking and golf course opposite, you've got to visit the public area loos just for the experience, and the corridors featured individual door numbers for each room. I really liked all of those touches.

Lots of other nice little quirky touches throughout too, from the style of the guest information folder - it's got advice if you need an elephant - to the various cards in the room.

Dinner was fantastic, you could order in the bar and then when the starter was ready someone would collect you. Even as a lone dinner it felt very comfortable. Three absolutely delicious courses all served by the hotel's great staff. Next morning, breakfast was in the same room and featured a really nice buffet spread and a choice of Cornish breakfast (a gilled fry up), American pancakes or eggs benedict... when in Cornwall I went for the Cornish version and was not disappointed. The food service both at dinner and breakfast was very fast but the food came out spot on.

Perhaps the only thing that slightly disappointed me was the room's "Best/Luxury" tag. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the room; it was immaculately clean, quiet, warm, decent size tv, great hospitality tray, lots of storage, huge comfortable bed with duck down duvet and pillows, and a Cornish slate headboard (I'd never seen a slate headboard before). Lots of nice lighting, nice carpet. The bathroom was well decorated, with some really nice toilertries and a big bath with rain forest showerhead which got to temperature quickly and stayed there. The towels were some of the fluffiest I'd seen. The only thing is I don't know what made it luxury - there wasn't really a wow, there was no view although in fairness their website did say not all of them get a sea view and I did book at literally an hour or two's notice as I was in the area. The sink was also a bit small for a luxury room, but it was quite a trendy sink! So on that basis I'm not going to mark down the overall score because they did deliver on everything they promised.

I would go back but think next time I'd go for a "Better/Superior" room as the spec seems the same and the prices go up in £15 increments, so I'd sacrifice a little space because the room was quite big. Although I would like to try the Playroom too at the other end of the scale, but would need to be staying for a little longer.

And I think I will go back, I will make an excuse to. I also fancy trying out Tommy Jacks, another hotel that they own and this one looks like some of the rooms will get sea views as it's a bit closer to the beach, but Hebasca does look like the more luxurious of the two and the staff really do make the place that extra bit special.

Room Tip: Definitely stay here, I'd recommend opting for a Better/Superior room as the best value
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kpd1979
Dear Kpd1979

On behalf of myself and the Hebasca Team we would like to thank you for your comprehensive review of your stay at Hebasca. We are delighted that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed the extra touches that we are proud to offer throughout the hotel. We are also pleased that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant as well as the freshly prepared breakfast.
We hope that you come back to visit us (or our sister hotel Tommy Jacks) in the near future.

Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A very modern hotel. Immaculately clean, friendly staff and all the extra touches you want. Had a great evening meal in the restaurant, good choice of menu and the breakfast was just as good. Lovely selection and something for everyone. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Kathy H,

Thank you for your recommendation on Hebasca. We are delighted that you enjoyed both your stay with us and also your meal in our restaurant. We do try to provide a wide range of menu options so we are pleased that you found this to be the case, we are also pleased that you enjoyed our locally sourced ‘Cornish breakfast!’

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Found Hebasca online, booked for Easter visit and we were not disappointed. Clean, excellent decor, very friendly people, great food and a great bar. Our room had a great view of the golf course, and was clean and very well appointed. The toilets downstairs are worth a visit!, funky colours and great murals! We ate out at the sister hotel down the road, Tommy Jacks, and the food and decor again was excellent. Hebasca's location was excellent for walking to the beach nearby, and wandering in to 'downtown' Bude. All in all a great experience and we would recommend and visit again. Wouldn't mind trying the Playroom.

Dear Tim S

Thank you for your recent review of Hebasca. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, including the view from your room right down to our ‘funky restrooms’. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, let us know if you decide on the playroom – it is an experience in itself!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A modern immaculately clean hotel experience, great room, great decor, fantastic shower and a lovely hot! Cornish breakfast.

Would thoroughly recommend this hotel for business or vacation and will defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Darren M
Hebasca G, General Manager at Hebasca, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Darren M,

Thank you for your positive recommendation! We are very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Weybourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

As a mature couple, we were very pleased to find this hotel. We would normally opt for something more traditional, but the recent refurbishment is excellent. Beautiful clean rooms and superb fittings. It is just on the outskirts of Bude central but still within walking distance of the beaches and town. Food in the restaurant was substantial and well presented but menu limited to grills...albeit very nice. All staff fairly informal, but friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a superior room at the top was a good option
Hebasca G, General Manager at Hebasca, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Lordduke

Thank you for your recent review of Hebasca. We are pleased that you enjoyed the outcomes of our recent refurbishment!

In an effort to provide an alternative dinning experience, our restaurant does have a grill theme as you rightly pointed out-we are happy that you found your meal substantial and well presented.

We hope to welcome you back to Hebasca in the near future.

The Hebasca Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bude
Tommy Jacks Beach Hotel
Atlantic House Hotel
Widemouth Manor Hotel
Widemouth Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Widemouth Bay

Been to Hebasca? Share your experiences!