“Nice, but with a caveat”

Atlantic House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bude
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was a perfectly nice hotel, right on the coastal path, looking out over the river and canal. The room was comfortable, the breakfast was fine. But there was a problem: The bathroom had a serious black mold problem. When I arrived, I noticed an odd, acrid, musty, smell. And I noticed that the caulking between the tub and wall was cracked away. And I noticed what looked like black scuff marks on the vinyl flooring. It was only in the middle of the night that I figured it out, when I went into the bathroom and was nearly overwhelmed with the smell. The black marks weren't ON the floor; they were UNDER it. There was what I assume to be mold under the floor all around the tub. If I had figured it out the sooner, I would have asked for a different room. And if the inn keepers don't know about it, they should. I believe it was room 5.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2013

From the outside this hotel looks a bit jaded, a coat of paint would work wonders. Inside, the rooms are spotless, the staff are very helpful and the breakfast is very good. The location is ideal overlooking Summerleaze bay.
The room I booked was described as having a panoramic view, I didn`t think one small window on the third floor was panoramic and moved to a room on the first floor with a bay window, well worth the extra £10 per night.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel and specify a room with a bay window, if you want a good view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed here 2 nights on advice and via booking by the TIC. We expected a great view on the sea. However, the cramp room had only a small window and only standing at the window we saw a bit of sea. Still, the view over land was great, bed and bathroom clean, but walking around the bed with no socks on was terrible. I don't wanna know what was in the carpet...
Stayed here two nights, yoghurt on one morning was not available and staff didn't seem to care, a sorry we didn't hear. Breakfast is only served between 8.30 and 9.30. No early start possible for our next cycle day. Forget the view from the breakfast room, you can hardly look through the glass as the windows are seldomly cleaned.
The bar is not a place were you would feel comfy, but do try the neighbours, The Edgcumbe. Cosy, very friendly staff en the price of the very luxurious rooms is quite close or even the same as those of the Atlantic house. I know where we will stay next time...

Room Tip: Larger room with large windows
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights in June 2013. Found the hotel to be a reasonable price. Room was comfortable and well equipped. The shower and bathroom were fine as well. My room had a bay window and view of the sea so no complaints there at all! The breakfast was very tasty and was delivered quickly and always piping hot. The selection of coffee, juice, yoghurt etc was also very nice. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly. It was a short walk into the town. Parking is directly in formt of the hotel and at no extra cost. All in all I would certainly go back there if I visit Bude again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank stratnumberone
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed at the Atlantic House hotel for three nights over the Bank Holiday weekend. I booked a premier twin room via Booking.com but confirmation stated it was only a standard room, so watch out for this when using these booking sites. Best to use the hotel's own booking site. The hotel confirmed that guests had mentioned this previously. However, the hotel were really helpful and put us in a premier room at no additional cost. The hotel is in a superb location with views over both the town and the bay with spacious, very clean well appointed rooms. The breakfast was excellent with a good choice of cereals and main course options. Although the restaurant was no longer open for evening meals, it was just a short walk to the Falcon Hotel for a selection of great bar meals. Would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for a premier room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Theresa K
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Lovely hotel with good rooms and en suites.. super breakfast . Really really helpful staff. Let us keep our car there for a few days whilst we were walking.
Recommended highly.
Full english really well cooked. Large rooms with chairs to sit and look at view.

Room Tip: Sea view room 12 I think
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed in the Atlantic House Hotel for one night and we thought it was superb. The staff were very friendly, rooms were clean and breakfast was yummy. We went across the 'the beach at bude' for a cocktail which was lovely and had dinner at 'Lifes a beach' which although a little expensive it was a lovely evening.
Would recommend as good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SasJS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bude
Tommy Jacks Beach Hotel
#2 of 9 in Bude
Camelot Castle Hotel
Camelot Castle Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tintagel

Been to Atlantic House Hotel? Share your experiences!