“Recommended”

The Blacksmith's House
Ranked #6 of 31 Brockenhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The first thing I noticed when entering Blacksmith's was the smell of cleanliness and fresh linen and that, for me, is probably the most important thing! Then, as you enter the house, you see a big wooden table with cakes and biscuits and really nice homemade soda bread (any hour of the day you may wish to come back).

Our room (the cat and fiddle) was really cozy and clean. We really enjoyed breakfast and neither my partner nor I missed the full fry up. Cheeses, ham, salami, eggs, smoked salmon, tomatoes, jam and marmalade, nutella, yogurt, pancakes, and different types of bread, coffee and tea, plus the possibility to make our own sandwiches and take them with us for lunch, is more than what we wished for. Tracy (the owner) is not only very friendly but also very professional. She suggested cycling routes and walking trips in the surrounding area and she was generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

For those of you who-like us-are visiting the New Forest for the first time and want a weekend of exploration, Brockenhurst and The Blacksmith's House (2 minutes from the train station) is a great choice!

Room Tip: The Cat and Fiddle is a lovely room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Blacksmith's House

Reviewed 10 April 2011

We had a lovely stay. Great food and friendly, welcoming staff. Perfect location for travellers without a car as station and bike hire less than 5minutes away. Great value for money

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I stayed at the Blacksmith's House for a romantic break with my husband in February. We had a lovely stay, the house was clean and comfortable, with a warm welcome from the owner and great breakfasts (we are very fussy about meat and will only eat meat when we know it is from good quality sources - the sausages and bacon were all from approved local farms so we were happy!).

The owner was very helpful and knowledgeable about the local area, she helped us to plan day trips and places to eat. Each day there was afternoon tea laid out in the dining room with freshly baked cakes and scones - very welcome after a day cycling around the New Forest!

We particularly liked that there is a code locking system on the front door so you can come and go as you please with no curfew as in some places. You are also given use of the kitchen, so you can make drinks at any time of the day or night, and use the cutlery and crockery if you want to bring back takeaway! Finally, the B&B was very good value for money - much less than most of the other places in the area, but great quality.

All in all, a very pleasant trip. The only minor negative point is that the Red Lion room, where we stayed, was downstairs at the front of the house, facing the main road, and next to the front door with people coming in and out. There was no problem with noise or privacy, but if I were to stay again I may request one of the upstairs bedrooms, just to be a bit more out of the way. But this is a very minor criticism, and didn't detract from the overall warmth of the house, and the enjoyability of our stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2011

My wife and I booked a room at the Blacksmiths House at short notice for a quiet break, and drove across on the Friday evening armed with our booking comfirmation and welcome email from Tracey. The house was empty on arrival, but we had the entry code for the door lock, let ouselves in, and were greeted with a dining table laden with goodies, tea, cakes, scones. The room (Mary Queen of Scots room) was ready for us with key in lock, lovely and clean and well turned out, a flat screen tv, dvd player in drawer, should we want it, a selection of books and dvd's, kettle, tea, coffee, homemade biscuits, and fresh milk.
The b&b itself is situated on the main road, though we heard very little of the traffic. Just a few yards up is the Snake Catcher pub where we had a lovely meal on Saturday night, next door to that is a Chinese resaursant, then the train station (no disturbance from that either). Another pub across the road (The Forresters) that serves food, and a lovely Indian reataurant (Dynasty) further up Brookley street, so good choice of quality food, without having to contemplate firing up the car.
Back to our room, the bathroom was a nice size (en-suite) with a lovely large roll top bath, candles and champagne glasses in case you wish to share a bath in luxury.
Tracey greeted us at breakfast in the morning, the spread was superb, did not even bother contemplating the fry-up. The selection of white/brown bread, salmon, salami, ham, cheese, pikelets freshly made, scones and preserves proved more than enough. We were even encouraged to make sandwiches for our walk to Lindhurst, and given a nice route to walk.
The followin morning Tracey joined us for a chat at the table before we left, and proved to be a freindly and imformative host.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DORSETKNOB
Reviewed 7 January 2011

What a fantastic place to stay! We stayed in the Cat & Fiddle room for 2 nights and both thought that this place was wonderful. This was the smallest room in the Blacksmiths House, but was still plenty of space for a great night's sleep! The service was impeccable, so friendly and the breakfast/afternoon tea was superb! Excellent location and although next to a busy road it was by no means loud! Do not be put off by this, we had a wonderful nights sleep! We will definitely stay here again when we next visit the new forest!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I stayed for one night with a colleague whilst on a cycling holiday of the Isle of Wight and New Forest.
It wasn't totally clear to me from the website that the rooms would have twin beds so I called to check this before booking. Sam was most helpful, confirmed the twin beds and recommended the Cat and Fiddle room, which was excellent.
We were emailed a code to enter the property and, as per the briefing note we were also emailed there were freshly baked cakes left in the dining room for our arrival. There being no host to greet us was absolutely no problem.
The bedroom and bathroom were functional, tastefully decorated and the linens and towels were of good quality and the beds comfortable. There was also chilled fresh milk in the bedroom which made a great change from UHT. Everything at the Blacksmith's House was impeccably clean.
We didn't order the cooked breakfast as the "standard" breakfast seemed adequate. In fact it wasn't adequate, it was absolutely superb with home cooked ham, fresh cakes (again) and lots and lots of choice. Tracy also suggested that we could make ourselves a packed lunch from the wonderful spread on the table.
Unfortunately I had developed a problem with my shoulder from cycling and Tracy kindly gave me some painkiller, and offered to get me some paracetamol from the local shop.
I also left a fleece in the wardrobe and Tracy mailed this to me the same day after we had departed and wouldn't even allow me to pay the postage.
The property is in the centre of Brockenhurst and conveniently located for the station, shops, pubs and restaurants. It is on the main road through the village though there is no real traffic noise in the evening or at night, but a bit of noise in the morning which isn't too intrusive.
There is a computer for guests to use in the dining room with internet access - a nice touch and useful feature.
Tracy and her colleagues run a wonderful B&B and I'd have no hesitation to stay there again next time I'm cycling in the New Forest.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I found this B&B by a web search and found booking acommodation very easy. The afternoon tea laid out on arrival was very welcoming and delicious. I spent a very comfortable night there, (Cat and Fiddle room) slept soundly followed by an excellent shower. The breakfast was a welcome chnage from the usual fry up and the freshly prepared pancakes wonderful. I ate at the Snakecatcher that evening which i also recommend. A clean comfortable B&B which I recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Thatched Cottage Hotel
Thatched Cottage Hotel
#3 of 31 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Blacksmith's House? Share your experiences!