“Short break in the Forest”

The Blacksmith's House
Ranked #6 of 31 Brockenhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We paid for 3 rooms for two nights. Overall all a lovely experience. Yes you let yourself in, but that's no problem. You are greeted by fresh scones and cake. Tae and coffee facilities with no restrictions on milk or tea bags! Breakfast buffet ( non full English) was delightful. Loved the fresh drop scones. Comfy bed, small dog made very welcome, he misses Buddy by the way!
Any slight issues, thoughtfully and effectively sorted.
Would recommend for welcome, comfort and location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
blacksmithshouse, Owner at The Blacksmith's House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

So pleased you enjoyed the scones, and hope that you will come back again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stopped for one night expecting nothing more than a room for the night. However, it was more than just a room. Homemade cakes on arrival and a gorgeous room with a very welcoming atmosphere. Tracy was excellent and was advising other guests on nice routes for their day out cycling. Overall very homely and a lovely place to stay. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
blacksmithshouse, Owner at The Blacksmith's House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

So pleased you enjoyed your stay. If you come back., please take advantage of our 10% discount for returning guests, this also applies to people who book on recommendation.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We have just spent a week at the Blacksmiths House on a family holiday, the location is great in the middle of the New Forest, and we were well looked after by Tracy and Lily. A great place for dinner is Palio, in the old Railway Station building . The Goodalls , Adelaide, Australia

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
blacksmithshouse, Owner at The Blacksmith's House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

It was a pleasure to have you to stay. I keep thinkging of you still in transit on your way home I hope the journey has been simple.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed for six nights in the Blacksmith's House (during the heat wave!) while in town for a floral design workshop and found it ideal for me. Traveling alone from the U.S., Tracy's warm and gracious manner immediately made me feel welcome after a very long first day of plane, bus and train travel. My room was just right for me, small enough to feel cozy, generous enough for the things I brought. And I'm a cat lover so I felt right at home in the Cat room! I liked being able to prop myself up on the bed and be able to see out the window as Brockenhurst life went by.

When the hop on, hop off tour bus hopped away in Milton-on-Sea and left me stranded for nearly three hours, Tracy immediately intervened. She promptly called the bus company on my behalf and as they were looking into what happened, she personally gave me a refund on the ticket price before I left, assuring me she would be reimbursed by the bus company in the near future. I certainly hope that has happened.

I loved the openness of Tracy's style of hosting. Scones and other wonderful homemade baked goods were always available. There were lots of choices for jazzing up a scone. For example, I had never had a scone with Nutella before, but I tried it and liked it! She even opened her kitchen to a 13-year-old girl from Austria and by the time I left, the young chef was producing superb pancakes for the breakfast table each morning. I ate way too many!

Tracy and her assistant, Lily, are people persons. They are insightful, attentive and helpful. Sure, the weather was hot and I noticed grumpy British at every turn as I overheard conversations around town. But, hey, I was to return home at the end of the week to 35 C , so I don't really know what they were complaining about!

Thanks Tracy for making my solo trip warm, safe and comfortable!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

I was a pleasure to have you to stay. Thank you so much for the amazing floral displays they have decorated the dining room until today. Friday. I trust you got home safely and that the experience will be reflected in all your coming work.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We are a group of five active pensioners who stayed for 4 nights .Everything was very homely, clean and comfortable. We met Tracy and her helper, Lily at breakfast both of whom were very knowledgeable about the Forest and surrounding area. They answered all our questions about the forest, local walks, buses and restaurants. There was a good supply of maps and local info.
The food was amazing; we loved the home cooked ham, fresh eggs and pancakes. We were able to pack some sandwiches for lunch and there were cakes and scones when we returned later. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the homemade shortbread in the room was delicious.
This is a perfect place to stay if you are coming by train .It is a short walk from the station where there are plenty of local buses and the hop on hop off open top tourist buses that take you all around the New Forest.
We were looked after very well by Tracy and Lily and look forward to staying there again.
The Freerangers

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank groovygranLondon

You were a pleasure to have to stay and I do hope we will see you again. There is still a lot of the forest to see and I am sure you have not eaten in all the restaurants in Brockenhurst. Lily said thank you for the mention

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I can't believe the previous reviewers stayed in the same B&B as we did. We had booked the Ducking Stool room because we wanted a family room. After a long and tiring drive on the hottest day of the year so far, we were looking forward to getting in and having a rest. We arrived only to find that the gate for the so called "on site parking" was locked, so ended up having to try and find a space on the busy main road outside.

After tapping in the pin code on the door we went to what looked like a fairly presentable house, only to find a couple upstairs with the doors open and TV blaring thinking they were obviously the only inhabitants of this otherwise deserted house at the time.

We went into unlocked "spacious" accommodation which would have been had it not been for the single bed shoved up against a wall and barely enough room to move past that and the double bed. We had booked the family room because myself and my mother were traveling together. Upon arrival we found that only the double bed was made up, something you don't expect when you book a family room. I had to make up my own bed, which had I booked a hostel (which this place was increasingly beginning to feel like, given the absence of the owner and having to do everything myself) I wouldn't minded. But given that we did book a family room, I would have hoped this to have been done as standard, because let's face it having a mother and daughter sleeping in the same bed, is just creepy and weird.

Luckily we only had our small dog with us or else we would have been really pushed for space. Likewise being charged an extra tenner for a small terrier seemed excessive, I wouldn't objected had we had an Irish Wolfhound!

We decided to make ourselves a cup of tea, and went in search of the fresh milk. Only to discover an opened carton of soya milk in what looked a staffroom fridge with a few abandoned yogurts and sorry looking bits of processed cheese lurking in the background.

Don't say you provide fresh milk when there is none available. Equally on investigating the cakes and scones on offer, we found a half eaten discarded scone and some frazzled looking pancakes piled up on a plate which had obviously been there since after breakfast. (We arrived at about 5ish in the afternoon), this put off eating anything else. Likewise there were cheap Lidl preserves on offer but no butter or cream available for the scones, another glaring omission. Also the bread was sitting out underneath a tea towel to go off in the hot weather.

I tried to have a shower but noticed that the screen hadn't been cleaned properly, along with greasy stains on the mirror and similarly there was long black hair in the sink. Plus the toilet roll had a disgusting brown stain on it which was obviously urine, thought I'd probably be cleaner if I stayed out of the bathroom.

We went to the Snakecatcher for dinner which probably the only redeeming feature of that evening.

We barely slept a wink due to having the windows open to keep a breeze coming in as no fan was provided. The noise was unbelieveable due to constant traffic and the trains clattering by until well after midnight. I suggest that the owner tries to sleep a night here during the heatwave with no fan, and then see how well she sleeps! But seeing how she doesn't live on site, I don't think that'll happen!

To add insult to injury breakfast was only on offer for half an hour (owner's excuse saying that time doesn't allow for any longer - word of advice, get up earlier then!) and even then it only was a buffet style selection of cold meats in tupperware boxes, some cold hard boiled eggs, tired looking cereals, some sorry looking tinned grapefruit and the bread which had been sitting out for all of the day before. There was no sign of any fresh milk again so we were unable to have a cuppa first thing. Likewise although the kitchen door was unlocked there was no sign of the owner who was either hiding or just being unsociable.

The whole place smacked of "couldn't be bothered" and we left fairly sharpish, feeling tired, irritable and having been ripped off. We went and had purchased a couple of bacon butties and cups of tea from CJs who was lovely and chatty and charged us less per person than the cheeky £4 per person additional charge for the cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if it's hot, no fans are provided and the traffic/train noise is non-stop...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jenksy79

I am sorry you were so very dissatisfied. This weather does try us all and I think that you will find that there are a good selection of hotels in the area where you would be happier on another occasion.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here either side of the Wiggle Wight ferry sportive. The B&B were very accommodating with us arriving late after working in Surrey on the Friday. The rooms were exactly as described, with lovely showers and comfy beds. The location was around a mile from our ride start so we didn't have to worry about driving there in the morning. I met the owner over breakfast this morning and she was friendly and helpful, and also very knowledgable about the surrounding area. She was also able to provide us with a safe place to store our bikes which gave us peace of mind. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013

Its easy to look after nice people and I love to share the knowledge of the forest to make sure guests get the most out of their stay. I hope you will be back again to enjoy the autumn colours
kind regards