“fantastic food and service and lovely staff”
Review of Rose and Crown - CLOSED

Rose and Crown
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2014

food is all fresh to order, and such a good choice and amazing staff.. it is the best food and this is our 3rd visit and will always be coming back... the service is great and they are fantasic with young children. thank you.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Some polite staff and with a smile behind the bar would be nice and a huff when corrected is not good and a carvery is not where the meat is already sliced and floating in gravy but apart from that is a nice chain pub

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We ate here twice during our 3 night stay.
We had lunch and the evening meal on another night.
The Italian chicken from the chefs specials was absolutely delicious - appeared to be cooked from scratch and tasted like it. Definitely worth eating there, the chef needs to commended

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have previously reviewed this pub in the hotel section which was a mistake as I have never stayed here so i am submitting the review again in the correct section.

While on holiday recently we stopped here for lunch before heading home. It's been a few years since our last visit and were pleasantly surprised at what we found, the place had been refurbished, the staff friendly and efficient, the real ales were well kept and the menu large and varied with a good specials board. My Mum and me had the Roast Garlic and Thyme Chicken served with Mediterranean Vegetables and Dauphinoise Potatoes which was excellent, my Dad went for Rump Steak Baguette with Chips, Which on the other hand according to him was the steak was as tough as old boots, looking around at other people who had gone for the Baguette they were obviously finding it the same, but we can't really complain now though as we said nothing at the time.
We will definitely return again when next in the area although perhaps steer clear of the Steak Baguette.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We wished we had found this on previous visits. The pub looks nothing from outside but inside the eating areas/bars are light with lots of windows , airy and nicely decorated. Nice garden too. The menu has "New Forest Marque" specials which means it uses local ingredients e.g. venison pie, lymington crab cakes, local lamb ragout, etc all at very reasonable prices, not the usual gastro pub inflated prices. They do not mention these dishes on their website menu (just the usual pub dishes) which is silly because its a real feature and everyone who had them said they were brilliant. I had the Sunday carvery however and it was the best pub carvery I had ever had. For £9.99 you could have beef, pork or turkey (I had all 3, no problem they said) with the biggest array of veggies I have ever seen - and all good, hot and fresh - no frozen here (except the peas) - red cabbage, crushed swede, roasted parsnips, carrots, roasted Mediterranean veg, cauliflower gratin, brocolli, wonderful hot crispy potatoes (not leathery like most carvery potatoes) , chipolatas. yorkshire pudding, terrific meat and ale gravy, cabbage in some kind of sauce (i didnt have that) and I am sure I have forgotten others. The bar staff and waiting staff were really welcoming and friendly - what a refreshing change from many New Forest pubs (especially the pub in Keyhaven which treats you like you are lucky to be allowed in). Everyone loved their food and we will definitely eat here on all our future visits.