“Be Prepared to wait!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rose and Crown - CLOSED

Rose and Crown
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London
“Be Prepared to wait!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I came for the Sunday Carvery on the August Bank Holiday Sunday, we were preapred for a bit of waiting, but not what we experienced. We were a fairly big group - 12 people, we found some nice seats quite easily outside. Four of the group opted for the menu and were very happy with the food and wait time. Us who wanted the carvery had a different experience. Ordering the carvery and drinks was pain free, a very quick and efficient system is in place for this. What et it down was the fact there was only one person working the carvery counter, this one person kept having to stop and start carving the meat to bring out the veg. It would have been better if a couple of the waiting staff dealing with the other food orders did this rather than the carver (there were plenty of waiting staff going round brnging food out and clearing tables). We overheard one person who was about 4 people ahead of us in the carvery queue say that they had been there for about 20mins. I had a similar wait time in the queue to get my food. I did ask a passing waitress if there was only one person working the carvery and she replied that there was and that this was normal service. I commented back that I didn't think it was very efficient, to which she agreed. I was then informed that carver was the manager. Because of the all the wokr the carver had to do it meant that 2 people who were directly behind me in my group got their food about 10-15mins after myself and the others got theirs, which spoilt it a little as it was a group lunch and we were unable to eat all together.

Please Manager look into getting a few more people to keep the veg topped up! The food was good, but this did let down the experience

1 Thank gembo
FERNS7, General Manager at Rose and Crown, responded to this review, 8 October 2014
Thank you for reviewing the business and wish to apologise for the long delay in service, as it was bank holiday weekend and we were extremely busy delays like this happen, as we had 4 chef's on duty, however they were busy cooking food from the main kitchen and backing up Carvery Chef also, this we can assure you is not the normal length of service you receive from us and we do hope in the future you will give us another chance.

Malaga, Spain
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We decided to eat here as the place we were going to was fully booked. It was one of these places where you find a table decide what you are eating and then go to till with choices and table number. All I can say is we got there just in time as there was only one person in front of us and by the time their order was taken their was a huge Queue behind us. The girl taking the order was slow and couldn't get her head around the fact that my mum wanted two starters , one as a starter and one as a main. Apparently starters have to come out with starters and cant be put down to come out as a main. That aside we eventually got our food my mum having received both of her courses with the starters. My Fiance and father had soup which I was told was very tasty and came with fresh baked rolls. I had the fish-cake which again was very nice. The mains were not so good, mine was OK, I had the rack of ribs with chips and coleslaw, not bad but I have had better. My fiancee had Greek fetta salad which she said was OK abart from the half a plate of raw onion. My father had the worse end of the deal. He ordered Lamb Tagine, The pieces of lamb he had were very nice but there was only two of them, the rest was Aubergene and Courgette.
We decided not to have a sweet course as that would have mean't joining the ever lengthening queue which a number of people had already given up on and left to eat elsewhere.

“Not so much...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful building and lovely gardens, but or party of teen was ready to leave after looking at a very basic and over priced menu. Bought a round of poorly served drinks anyway and decided to stay which didn't change our original assessment. Really nothing positive to say about the drinks or food, all of which was a lot more than it should have been. I appreciate rent here must be expensive, but you need to back that up with some quality

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Best pub in Brockenhurst”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We have been there a few times now and always enjoyed the food and gardens. When they have the special on they are definatley worth a try. Service was exceptional, even table checking in the garden! Only down side is the price of the drinks.

AnnM850, General Manager at Rose and Crown, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you very much for you review and we do hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Didcot, United Kingdom
“Good pub in a good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

After failing to get in to a fully booked restaurant, we decided to try this restaurant. I had eaten here before and remember it being distinctly average. However the pub has improved somewhat. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The ambience was nothing special but the food was a lot better than I remembered, even if my steak was a little on the fatty side. Would I eat here again? Yes I would!