“Burns Night”
Review of Forest Park Hotel

Forest Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I had a Burns Night meal at the Forest Park on Saturday. The atmosphere was fantastic - a real party feel. Everyone had a very jolly time - wonderful. It was a pity the same couldn't be said about the food - very ordinary indeed. I have had better meals in pubs quite honestly. The dressed salad had never seen a dressing. One of the pudding courses was advertised as Cranachan Cheesecake. Now Cranachan is one of my all time favourite desserts and I was REALLY looking forward to it. Well if you like your Cranachan minus the whisky and minus the honey and minus the oatmeal and minus everything else apart from the cream, then you would have been happy. Unfortunately it was not what I was expecting at all! I think that the chef thinks that "Cranachan" is a Scottish word for "Whipped Cream" However, apart from the actual food, the evening was terrific - I would certainly recommend the Burns evening. I had a great time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Lee C, General Manager at Forest Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed the evening along with the residential guests for the weekend. It certainly was a fun weekend going by the finish times! I am sorry the food did not meet your expectaions on this occassion and whilst I can confirm the ingredients in the cranachan were there, perhaps it could have been a little stronger? Thank you again for your time and comments and look forward to next year!

There are newer reviews for Forest Park Hotel

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed here with a friend for a girls weekend horse riding and dining! Had a great time and the stables are right next to the hotel. Atmosphere was a little lacking and many of the guest were in their senior years!! Still, our room was lovely and the breakfast was great. No complaints!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank malvernbecky
Lee C, General Manager at Forest Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay with us. I am pleased you both enjoyed your time with us enjoying the forerst and the rides. We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future so you can enjoy it again! Thank you again.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

The room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. Staff very helpful, friendly and accommodating. We are both foodies and the food was excellent, well cooked and presented.The menus were well planned using local and seasonal produce all served on a very hot plate (well done) The downstairs bar was absolutely charming with plenty of atmosphere and a good selection of local real ales. Plenty of good walks from the hotel's front door, plenty of fresh air before breakfast!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a good view of the grounds
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham W
Lee C, General Manager at Forest Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

We are delighted you had such a lovely and enjoyable stay with us. It is very encouraging to hear when guests have enjoyed their time at the hotel enjoying our facilities and finding the staff to be as helpful as they are. We are aware everyone has different tastes in many aspects however I am very pleased you enjoyed your meals and time with us and hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to hotel again in the future. Many thanks again for your time and kind comments.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Having stayed in the New Forest on business I decided to take my wife for a weekend away, we came across this hotel after staying at another hotel from the same company a few weeks prior. The hotel has a fantastic little country pub inside, almost separate from the hotel itself, our room had a lovely view and the bed was most comfortable. This is a proper little country hotel, it annoys me from all the other trip'advisors' who quite frankly like to create a stir, this a fantastic little hotel and I would recommend it. If I was as picky as most of the 'advisors' on here, the signage to the carpark could be a little better and to reception when you walk into the hotel from the main entrance. Apart from that, great food, service & hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms would have a fantastic view as the hotel is set in the middle of the forest- beautiful!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harry F
Lee C, General Manager at Forest Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. It is lovely to hear when our guests enjoy their time with us and we get so much right. As I am sure you could see, all the staff work very hard at providing a level of service that enhances our guests stay.

I can see the reason behind your signage comment, this is something I am aware of and am working on, needing to source the most suitable remedy.

I thank you again for your kind comments and hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I was very excited to go away with my partner to Brockenhurst after bagging what I thought was a fantastic deal on groupon. Only to realise, after purchasing it, that there was a much cheaper deal on the website... I phoned the hotel and was told that the manager wasn't in, however I was promised he would speak to us upon our stay.

On first arrival we were pleasantly surprised, great location, and a big christmas tree and fire welcomed us. Sadly, for us, this was the only good thing about the hotel.

Upon check-in were were assured, again, that the manager would speak to us in the morning...

The room was extremely cold with a window that rattled throughout the night. The shower gel/shampoo/soap pumps were all broken and the sheets had hair on them (not out hair...)

We had an included 3 course meal at the restaurant downstairs @ 8 so we got ready and went to the small pub that's attached to the hotel so we were on time for our reservation. £14 for a small glass of wine and a cider. WHAT????? REALLY?????????????????

After swigging down our expensive alcoholic beverages we were very much looking forward to a our 3 course meal. The restaurant was COMPLETELY empty (why did we have to make a reservation?) which left a strange atmosphere in the freezing restaurant. The food was stale, reheated and extremely unappetising. We were less than impressed. And both nursed a bad belly throughout the night....

Still no word from the manager...

The breakfast was again, reheated and the fruit selection was absolutely terrible. Tinned orange anyone?

We didn't hear anything from the manager throughout our whole stay and were deeply disppointed that he didn't take one second to talk to us.

I suggest, if you go to Brockenhurst that you don't stay at Forest Park Hotel, and if you need somewhere to eat go to the local Indian called 'Indian Dynasty' down the road.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Le G

I am sorry to hear your comments in relation to your stay with us in December and find it difficult to understand why you may have requested to speak with myself so many times and I not to be aware of this. I am sure you appreciate December is a very busy time for hotels and I was within the hotel most days, much more than other times of the year. I am sorry for not speaking to you during your stay, this was not intentional I just was not aware.

Offers and rates do vary from time to time within the hotel, in the same way retail in general operates. You may find different rates but then may find these are not available the days you originally reserved as all rate levels are dependant on availability. All offers do present excellent savings for the time of stay against our general pricing stucture.

Being an old building and systems that come with such a building, we are aware that the main heating system can often not be sufficient, this is why all bedrooms have additional electric heaters installed which in theory would suffice when the weather drops and the main heating not be enough. New equipment is being sourced however is not going to be as quick of a fix as we would obviously like. I am sorry you felt the cold so much during your stay.

As not all guests staying in the hotel are dinner inclusive, we do not exactly know how many diners we will have before service starts, this is the reason we ask guests if they would like to reserve a table, purely to aid in providing a more organised service. I am sorry you felt so let down with the quality of the food, we do cook dishes to order in most cases and are able to adapt dishes to cater for dietary requirements/preferences when requested.

I thank you again for your time and comments and apologise again that we did not meet your expectations on this ocassion.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

The peeling wallpaper, stained carpets, tired sheets, absence of table linen all seem to speak of an establishment running itself down before closure/refurbishment/takeover or whatever. The staff did their best, most were foreign and keen to please. The website still includes a picture of the swimming pool which apparently was filled in years ago!
Great location but poor value for money.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 187047Josie
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Not ever having been away for a New Year's Eve I decided to 'splash out' and stay at a Hotel for one night in the New Forest. I was pleasantly surprised at the warmth of the Hotel and it's staff. The menu was great and enough courses to satisfy me....I will certainly come here again. Thanks to all for making my stay really enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Lee C, General Manager at Forest Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Thank you very much for your kind comments in relation to your stay with us over the New Year period. I am delighted you had a lovely stay and everything was enjoyed on this special occasion. Many thanks again for your kindness and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Forest Park Hotel? Share your experiences!