“I would like to contact the owner”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
London, United Kingdom
“I would like to contact the owner”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I have not stayed as a resident at the Balmer Lawn Hotel but have visited twice for Lunch . The first time was with my husband and daughter for Sunday Lunch when visiting our daughter at Southampton Uni - We had a lovely lunch and the Jazz Band was great !
However we visted again recently and had a nasty experience to which the response from the manager wasfar from respectful- I would rather not post this on Trip Advisor I feel it would be fair to the staff and hotel to discuss this with the owners.The manager will know how to contact me as the incident was on Saturday 9th July 2011

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mia049
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
I am sorry that you felt it necessary to put your issues with regards to your visit to the Balmer Lawn on Saturday 9th July in such a public forum.

After contacting me directly I then spoke with both the hotel owners who advised me on the content of my reply, and that your experience here, regarding the cricket ball, was beyond our control. Cricket has been played outside the Balmer Lawn since the late 1800s, with a dining terrace open for over a decade for guests to enjoy the game over an afternoon tea . It is played on Forestry Commission land by a private Cricket Club.

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Last year we stayed at this hotel and were very disappointed at the rooms we were given,so much so I wrote to the manager. Her response was quick, honest and offered a choice of compensation. We took the opportunity to give this hotel in it's lovely location a second chance. We are so glad we did. We were more than compensated for our initial visit, we will return and have no fear of recommending a stay to others. It shows that there are hotel managers that listen to their clientel and focus their business on customer focus. This year we had a fantastic stay. A big thankyou to all the staff.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay here with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am so pleased to hear that we managed to 'get it right' for your repeat stay with us. As I am sure you are aware we have gone through a well deserved huge refurbishment programme this last year.

I really appreciate the chance to communication directly with guests as a hands on manager, rather than through a virtual medium, this gives me every opportunity to ensure that corrections and improvements are made, where necessary, for the benefit of future guests.

I'd like to express my personal thanks for you contacting me directly, in the first instance, to give me this chance.

I do hope I will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
West Sussex
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed at the Balmer Lawn to celebrate my birthday. I am a frequent traveller through work. I found this this hotel to be exceptionally good and could not fault it in anyway. The staff were extremely friendly, helpfull and efficient.
Our room was a delight looking onto the lawn.
The food was really good, particularly the lunch, which happened to be on a promotion.
Their was plenty to keep ourselves occupied in the hotel, although the location was great, never to far from anything.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us here at the Balmer Lawn.

I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Recently returned for a stay at the Balmer Lawn and once again had a very comfortable and relaxing stay. We were given the same room as our last visit and it was obviously refurbished in the last year. It felt like we were staying in a five star!

Can't fault the service or the staff, very helpful manager and attentive team.

Looking forward to returning once again!

• Stayed June 2011
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your recent stay at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great that you noticed, and benefited from, the extensive refurbishment work that has taken place in the last year. I'm glad you think these new rooms are of a 5* standard because we are all very proud of them here at the Balmer Lawn.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future, so you can witness the continued improvements that we're making.

essex
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We went to this hotel as we had often been passed it when in the area. I must admit after we had booked we read some bad reviews on Trip Advisor and were a bit worried. We needn't have been though. From start to finish our stay was exceptional. We arrived early and although our room was not ready I was allowed to change into more suitable walking clothes for the walk we were planning. On our return our bags were in the room, which was overlooking the New Forest. We had been upgraded to a 4 poster room which was absolutely lovely. The bathroom was very clean and very big. We went for a drink before dinner and the service was great. The restaurant was exceptional, food very tasty and staff friendly and efficient. I do admit there was some building work going on but this was not at all a problem. We actually found a voucher in our welcome pack for £20 for any inconvenience, of which there was none, to be spent anywhere in the hotel. Unfortunately we did not find this until we had checked out so were unable to use it. Please find out for yourelves what a real find this hotel is. I am sure we will return.

KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to put on such a kind review about your stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to a four poster, something we do wherever possible, and that you found our staff to be both friendly and efficient.

I am relieved to hear that the building work, due to our extensive refurbishment work, did not marr your stay and I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Bedfordshire
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Enjoyed a three-night break here. All the staff very very friendly and helpful and quite a number were "home grown" - a nice balance between them and their overseas counterparts. Currently undergoing an upgrade. Our room was somewhat dated but we would rather have good service and food than swish modern furnishings and poor service and food. Remember it is a country hotel and don't expect your glitzy city type hotel. We would very definitely consider making a return visit. The hotel is also dog-friendly, a plus point for us.

KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you for taking to time to write such a complimentary review about your stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I'm sorry to hear that you found your room to be slightly date. We are currently undergoing a major refurbishment programme, with a total of 17 rooms to be completed by the end of this month. At this time we will be able to provide both beautifully refurbished rooms along with good service and food.

I do hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, along with your four legged friend!

Liphook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This could be a lovely hotel, beautiful location, excellent attentive staff which could not be faulted. Good quality breakfast, although self service in general.

But the four poster room we stayed in for 2 nights was very tired and dark, with 1980's worn Ducal furniture. A good sized room with a sofa and chairs but only had one bedside table. The small en suite bathroom had no window and was only provided with 2 very small bottles of shampoo/body wash - very stingy for such an expensive room. We could not be sure, but suspect, that towels left in the bath to be changed were just folded and put back on the rack, if this is not the case then we were provided with fresh but damp towels.

The main problem I had was with noise, not from from a wedding which we had been warned about - this didn't disturb us at all, but from a constant slamming of heavy doors throughout the hotel. This, unfortunately, is not a quiet hotel to stay in.

My partner reported that the jacuzzi had a scum ring around it at 7:30 in the morning, so obviously not cleaned since the day before.

KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great to hear that you found the staff to be both attentive and efficient and that you enjoyed your breakfast with us. However, I am sorry you didn't find your room to be up to the same standard. We are currently under going a major refurbishment programme which will see the completion of 17 new bedrooms before the end of the month. This refurbishment work has included the replacement of all our bedroom doors to heavy oak doors which, when the door closer isn't adjusted properly, can leave them to slam. This is something I have addressed with the builders and I'm pleased to say that this problem has now been rectified.

I do hope these few negative points you experienced will not put you off returning to the hotel in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!