“Wedding and overnight stay -Amazing.”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Wedding and overnight stay -Amazing.”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Me and my now wife got married here in June and the service from start to finish was fantastic.

There were no details too small for them, and they catered to our every whim.

The staff were brilliant, everyone had a smile on their face and were more than happy to help in anyway they could, even after the festivities were over. The food served was fantastic, we were expecting small portions of a nouveau cuisine style, but we got incredible food with proper portion sizes.

Gemma on the run up to the day was invaluable and John, our toastmaster was professional and organised.

Our room was beautiful too, we had a brilliant view and it was spotless. All the essentials (tea and coffee, hot chocolate, trouser press, dresser for the lady, dressing gowns, chaise longue AND a teddy bear) were there. The room was in very good condition, especially considering it is kept in a more traditional fashion, with beautiful period furniture.

The breakfast we had the next morning was great as well, huge selection to choose from, with fruits and cereals to the mandatory full English set up. It was all done in a buffet style and not one item of the cooked breakfast was cold.

Me and my wife are more than happy to recommend this hotel to anybody we meet. We could not have asked for any more whilst we were there and I could not fault anything.

So if you're considering it, I say go for it. Fantastic hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent Wedding here with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I'm so pleased to hear that both Gemma, Jon, and the rest of my team made your day as special as possible.

I do hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This hotel needs better parking spaces, but amenities are very good. Its priced fairly and has very nicely and newly refurbished rooms (even though ours was tiny on the top floor). The outdoor heated pool was nice and warm, the spa area was fine and they do an excellent sunday roast. The only issue is that i am 7 months pregnant and you need to be out of the room by 11 am. I was taking longer than that because i didnt feel too well- my husband went down to clear the bill, and she wanted to charge us an additional 20 gbp for the one hour i was late in the room. I understand that they have a policy that if you would like a later check out, you can pay for the option (which is great) but they didnt ring the room to check on our departure until it was already past check out time, then when we emerged 30 minutes after that - said they were putting an extra 20 on the bill (which we got down to 15 when they saw how pregnant and sick i was feeling)- this episode kind of put a damper on the whole weekend, as i thought it was a bit extreme and the rest of the service and staff were lovely. I would definitely recommend this hotel, but be sure to check out on time and if you are feeling ill, and need a few extra minutes for check out- the front desk wont be patient with you.

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our Sunday roast!

I would like to apologise for the way you were treated at Reception with regards to having a slightly late check out, this was really un necessary. Guests should be made aware before they are charged, and if, like in your instance, it was due to illness then an element of compasion is needed. I will be speaking to them to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I do hope you would still consider returning to the Balmer Lawn.
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We got married here in june 2011.
The hotel was amazing, the wedding co-ordinator gemma was so helpful she was always on hand for anything, always returned our calls back straight away I would highly recommed. All the staff are warm and welcoming.
we stayed in a family suite which was very clean, and beds were most comfortable, with amazing views.
The kids loved having thier own room but was nice to have a joining door.
The food served for our wedding was cooked perfect, and breakfast was to the same high standard.
would highly recommened staying here.
I personaly as a bride think gemma is a fantastic wedding co-ordinater who goes the extra mile to make everything special,
fantastic hotel with such friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your Wedding here with us at the Balmer Lawn Hotel.

I'm so pleased to hear that Gemma did such a great job with your wedding and that you found the hotel, and our team of staff, to all be fantastic.

Congratulations on your Wedding and I do hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I have not stayed as a resident at the Balmer Lawn Hotel but have visited twice for Lunch . The first time was with my husband and daughter for Sunday Lunch when visiting our daughter at Southampton Uni - We had a lovely lunch and the Jazz Band was great !
However we visted again recently and had a nasty experience to which the response from the manager wasfar from respectful- I would rather not post this on Trip Advisor I feel it would be fair to the staff and hotel to discuss this with the owners.The manager will know how to contact me as the incident was on Saturday 9th July 2011

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mia049
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
I am sorry that you felt it necessary to put your issues with regards to your visit to the Balmer Lawn on Saturday 9th July in such a public forum.

After contacting me directly I then spoke with both the hotel owners who advised me on the content of my reply, and that your experience here, regarding the cricket ball, was beyond our control. Cricket has been played outside the Balmer Lawn since the late 1800s, with a dining terrace open for over a decade for guests to enjoy the game over an afternoon tea . It is played on Forestry Commission land by a private Cricket Club.

K Birrell - General Manager
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Last year we stayed at this hotel and were very disappointed at the rooms we were given,so much so I wrote to the manager. Her response was quick, honest and offered a choice of compensation. We took the opportunity to give this hotel in it's lovely location a second chance. We are so glad we did. We were more than compensated for our initial visit, we will return and have no fear of recommending a stay to others. It shows that there are hotel managers that listen to their clientel and focus their business on customer focus. This year we had a fantastic stay. A big thankyou to all the staff.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay here with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am so pleased to hear that we managed to 'get it right' for your repeat stay with us. As I am sure you are aware we have gone through a well deserved huge refurbishment programme this last year.

I really appreciate the chance to communication directly with guests as a hands on manager, rather than through a virtual medium, this gives me every opportunity to ensure that corrections and improvements are made, where necessary, for the benefit of future guests.

I'd like to express my personal thanks for you contacting me directly, in the first instance, to give me this chance.

I do hope I will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
West Sussex
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed at the Balmer Lawn to celebrate my birthday. I am a frequent traveller through work. I found this this hotel to be exceptionally good and could not fault it in anyway. The staff were extremely friendly, helpfull and efficient.
Our room was a delight looking onto the lawn.
The food was really good, particularly the lunch, which happened to be on a promotion.
Their was plenty to keep ourselves occupied in the hotel, although the location was great, never to far from anything.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us here at the Balmer Lawn.

I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Recently returned for a stay at the Balmer Lawn and once again had a very comfortable and relaxing stay. We were given the same room as our last visit and it was obviously refurbished in the last year. It felt like we were staying in a five star!

Can't fault the service or the staff, very helpful manager and attentive team.

Looking forward to returning once again!

• Stayed June 2011
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your recent stay at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great that you noticed, and benefited from, the extensive refurbishment work that has taken place in the last year. I'm glad you think these new rooms are of a 5* standard because we are all very proud of them here at the Balmer Lawn.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future, so you can witness the continued improvements that we're making.

K Birrell - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!