“Amazing wedding weekend - would definitely recommend!”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Amazing wedding weekend - would definitely recommend!”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We got married in May and had our reception at the Balmer Lawn, and it was perfect! As we had a lot of family and friends travelling down to be with us, we made a weekend of it and pretty much took over the hotel for both the Friday and Saturday night, with lots of people staying. Through all of the planning Gemma was brilliant - we managed to get exactly the right types of rooms for people, and coordinate it so that groups of family/friends were all staying near each other on each floor. We had a large group of people so it wasn’t an easy thing to do, but Gemma definitely helped with this and kept us updated every step of the way. We had a number of suppliers for the reception itself and again Gemma was the main contact, liaising with everyone, making sure everything was in place for our special day. Having one person to deal with made it so much easier for us, and it's nice to deal with someone who remembers your name and details, we really felt that she'd taken an interest in our wedding weekend.

Our guests started arriving on the Friday afternoon and so we had arranged with Gemma to have special group settings for dinner so we could all sit and be served together. This went so smoothly and gave a really special start to our wedding weekend. All of our friends and family loved the hotel and the service was spot on. On the morning of the wedding, Gemma even brought pictures of the reception rooms to me when I was getting ready so that I could see all the decorations etc in place - one thing off my mind! She even waited with my brother and I for the wedding car & carried my train & helped me in.

Jon was our toastmaster, and from the minute we met he was professional and so helpful. We had some very last minute changes to speech order and he made sure everything went smoothly, managing to keep some surprises from me! The food for the wedding breakfast was superb - the menu tasting was delicious and we wondered if the quality would be the same for a large number of guests - it was even better, we wish we hadn’t been so full of excitement from our service (& nerves before speeches!) & could have eaten more! Fab reviews from all of our guests, and I am told the evening buffet was just as delicious with not a crumb left (I was too busy dancing to eat any!)

From start to finish our weekend was fantastic - all of our guests were looked after, and that was our priority, as we wanted to make sure it was a weekend that everyone enjoyed, being looked after with nothing to worry about. Every last detail was catered for and the staff were just brilliant, helpful, friendly, and couldn’t do more for us all.

We will definitely be back not only for our anniversary but for other meals and get togethers too; it’s a very special place.

Room Tip: There are so many differnt types of rooms to cater for everyone, make sure the staff know what you w...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kelloggs1
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your Wedding weekend with us at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great to hear that both Gemma and Jon, and the rest of the team, managed to make not just your special day, but the whole weekend a huge success.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, and especially for your anniversary!

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Three nights at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. Spent all three days walking and cycling,fantastic location. Enjoyed the lovely warm outdoor pool. Problem when we arrived, we found room 10 very dark and tired looking. Spoke to James who arranged for us to move to room 12 which was lovely. Special thanks to James who dealt with things very quickly, and calmly, keeping us informed of progress. The thing I particularly liked was that although we had a problem with the loo in room 12, when every we saw James around the hotel he always had time for a chat, rather than avoiding us incase we complained again! We will definately be back and would recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

We are indeed in an idyllic location with endless amounts of outdoor activities to enjoy, whether it be on foot, on horseback or on a bike!

I am so pleased to hear that Jamie dealt with your problems in a quick an efficient manner and I will be passing on my praise to him for this.

It's great to hear that you plan to return in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights. From the moment we arrived we were met with help and assistance together with great big smiles. Unfortunately the room we were given was close to the indoor pool and because it was over the pool pump it emitted a droning noise. When we reported this the next morning we were promptly moved to another room and received help to move all our clothes.The facilities were excellent as were ALL the staff and nothing was too much trouble. Our thanks go to them all and we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

It is great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I can only apologise for the inconvenience that moving rooms may have caused. We are aware that the fans from the leisure suite can, at times, cause a disturbance and we are looking into ways of stopping this.

I'm glad to hear that this didn't put you off and that we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, something we'll look forward too.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We chose Balmer Lawn for its location as we were visiting friends in the new Forest, it turned out to ba a great choice from the moment we arrived the recepionist -Agi was really friendly and we had booked adjoining rooms (I think it was 47 and 48) which were perfect with our two children and of a really high standard. We used the outdoor pool as the weather was good but theres also an indoor pool. We only used the restaurant for breakfast as we visitied our friends but it was excellent - great sausages! I'd definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I think our rooms were new and of a very high standard I would recommend asking for the newer rooms...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your stay here with us at the Balmer Lawn.

With our whole top floor now fully refurbished we have a selection of different adjoining rooms that will suit families with children of all ages.

It's great to hear you enjoyed our breakfast, the sausages are my favourite too!

I do hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We recently stayed at the Balmer Lawn and were overall very pleased. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The restaurant is neatly laid out and again the service was 'attentive'. The menu has 4 or 5 choices for each course and what we chose was exactly as we expected.
They are at present refurbishing the bedrooms, ours was one of the new ones (see photos) - light and airy with all the usual bits and pieces, tea/coffee, hairdryer etc. All the rooms are supposed to have a view of the forest but ours was a view of the outdoor pool and the garden area - but it wasn't unpleasant at all.
I must also say that the ongoing refurbishment was a bit of concern with regards to noise but we were not disturbed by it in any way.
All in all we would definitely re-visit.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

From your photographs I can tell that you must have been one of the first guests to be allocated this specific newly refurbished room. Thank you for taking the time to put these photos on here for all to see, not even we've been able to photograph this room professionally yet!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we'll get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Me and my now wife got married here in June and the service from start to finish was fantastic.

There were no details too small for them, and they catered to our every whim.

The staff were brilliant, everyone had a smile on their face and were more than happy to help in anyway they could, even after the festivities were over. The food served was fantastic, we were expecting small portions of a nouveau cuisine style, but we got incredible food with proper portion sizes.

Gemma on the run up to the day was invaluable and John, our toastmaster was professional and organised.

Our room was beautiful too, we had a brilliant view and it was spotless. All the essentials (tea and coffee, hot chocolate, trouser press, dresser for the lady, dressing gowns, chaise longue AND a teddy bear) were there. The room was in very good condition, especially considering it is kept in a more traditional fashion, with beautiful period furniture.

The breakfast we had the next morning was great as well, huge selection to choose from, with fruits and cereals to the mandatory full English set up. It was all done in a buffet style and not one item of the cooked breakfast was cold.

Me and my wife are more than happy to recommend this hotel to anybody we meet. We could not have asked for any more whilst we were there and I could not fault anything.

So if you're considering it, I say go for it. Fantastic hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent Wedding here with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I'm so pleased to hear that both Gemma, Jon, and the rest of my team made your day as special as possible.

I do hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This hotel needs better parking spaces, but amenities are very good. Its priced fairly and has very nicely and newly refurbished rooms (even though ours was tiny on the top floor). The outdoor heated pool was nice and warm, the spa area was fine and they do an excellent sunday roast. The only issue is that i am 7 months pregnant and you need to be out of the room by 11 am. I was taking longer than that because i didnt feel too well- my husband went down to clear the bill, and she wanted to charge us an additional 20 gbp for the one hour i was late in the room. I understand that they have a policy that if you would like a later check out, you can pay for the option (which is great) but they didnt ring the room to check on our departure until it was already past check out time, then when we emerged 30 minutes after that - said they were putting an extra 20 on the bill (which we got down to 15 when they saw how pregnant and sick i was feeling)- this episode kind of put a damper on the whole weekend, as i thought it was a bit extreme and the rest of the service and staff were lovely. I would definitely recommend this hotel, but be sure to check out on time and if you are feeling ill, and need a few extra minutes for check out- the front desk wont be patient with you.

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our Sunday roast!

I would like to apologise for the way you were treated at Reception with regards to having a slightly late check out, this was really un necessary. Guests should be made aware before they are charged, and if, like in your instance, it was due to illness then an element of compasion is needed. I will be speaking to them to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I do hope you would still consider returning to the Balmer Lawn.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!