“A poor booking experience turned around to a very positive stay”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 27 January 2013

There was a small confusion over rates which we resolved satisfactorily before arriving (with a final conversation at check in). Although not the ideal start to our stay, the staff at the hotel did a super job in looking after our group (thanks Agi, Mark and the rest of the team) and managed to make the entire experience very good and we will definitely stay again.

The superior rooms were fine, the mini pool was fun for young children and the food was actually very good.

Overall a good hotel with even better staff.

We left my daughters swim goggles and these are being sent back to us (thank you), but charging £7.50 to post them is I believe a silly area to make profit in the hotel trade. It still gets a 'very good' rating though.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that we managed to turn round, what could have been, a total negative experience, and that you all enjoyed your time with us.

With all the problems of obtaining the correct price for posting items back, we recently came up with having 2 standard charges, one for a small item and one for a large. However you have proved that this is something that we maybe need to review.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

The hotel was nice, the suite was excellent but our friends room was a bit tired.

Breakfast - Very Good
Drinks - Watch out for spirit prices £4.50 a shot.............bit expensive one thinks.
Bar Area - OK
Swimming Pool - Ok

Location fantastic, but was it value for money.........get a good deal yes.......but otherwise NO

Room Tip: Get a Suite..........
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

As a family owned hotel refurbishment is done as, and when, business allows. So, with this in mind we devised our 'look before you book' facility on our website. With this you can actually chose from our 54, individually designed, and priced, bedrooms.

We actually serve our spirits in 35ml measures, rather than the standard 25ml that pubs tend to use, hence the price.

I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stayed here after a charity dinner. The staff were all lovely from the lady who took the booking on the phone to the waiters in the bar who helped nurse our hangovers with coffee and food. Our room was upgraded because someone had cancelled and I would like to thank the man that carried my things upstairs including my handbag! He wasn't phased by this! Its about 18 years since I had been to the Balmer Lawn and I had forgotten how lovely it was. The setting is great. The choice of breakfast second to none. The friendly and helpful staff are an asset to this hotel. Think I might pop in and chill out on their sofa again on a Sunday!

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to have a lounge on our sofas on a Sunday afternoon again!

Reviewed 14 January 2013

I arrived on a really cold, rainy winters night and was greeted by a warm smile and very obliging receptionist. Check in was fast and simple. My room was great with a very comfy bed and great facilities, the TV took a bit of working out but got there in the end. I went down to the bar for a drink and sat infront of a lovely fire.
During my stay I was fortunate to meet the General Manager, and the hotels owners who could not have been a more nicer bunch. The waiting staff were fantastic and I wished I could rememeber the name of our waiter as he went the extra mile for me. I have to say that every single member of staff was exemplary and very easy and pleasant to deal with.

Great place to stay and can thoughly recomend it....

Use their website which is great for choosing the room that suits you best

Due to the poor weather I did not get to see much of the grounds but I hope to go back shortly as I know the New Forest is a beautiful place. Mind you I was very comfy just staying indoors during my brief stay...

Room Tip: Use their website which is great for choosing the room that suits you best
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tony B
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your brief time with us, and I do hope that we will get the chance of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I booked a family Sunday lunch to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. Having booked for a 1pm meal it was 1.30pm before our drinks and starter orders were taken. 1.45 our starters arrived but we had to request our drinks which arrived 5 minutes later minus 3 of the order. We went up to the carvery to choose our main course and my 3 year old grandson burnt his hand on the front of the carvery table. I touched it to see how hot it was and it was too hot to touch for an adult hand! There were no H & S signs warning that it was dangerously hot. At the end of the meal I went to pay the bill and the Manager said 'oh yes you are at the small table round the corner aren't you?' (I would willingly have paid for the two person bill instead of the 14 person bill :). The Manager had actually been serving us....
The staff were friendly and helpful but for a 4* hotel the service was not as I expected having experienced 4* hotels local to my home in Christchurch.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent Sunday lunch with us at the Balmer Lawn.

Please accept my apologies for the delays you experienced at the start of your meal. Sometimes it can be difficult to get big groups orders taken, and served in a short space of time.

We do usually have a 'Caution Hot' sign on the carvery unit, my apologies that on the occasion of your lunch it was not on display.

With regards to the manager's comment about you being on the small table, this was actually meant as a joke as it was obvious that you were part of the big table. I am sorry if it didn't come across this way.

I do hope that you will consider giving us a second chance in the future.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We stayed for the Christmas package, OAP, 9 year old and 2 couples. The booking process and confirmations were very confusing with everyone giving different responses, it was a bit concerning. That said our stay couldn't have been more enjoyable. We were swimming in the heated pool at 8am Christmas morning, it was so relaxing not a care in the world. It was like home from home with wonderful thoughtful touches. The staff were incredibly friendly and efficient. Everyone in our party was catered for perfectly and we are not easy to please! We would definitely consider returning for Christmas again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us over the Christmas period.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, and hopefully for next Christmas!

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I was really impressed with The Balmer Lawn Hotel - it was easy to tell this is independantly run, and its clear that whoever is running the show loves that place. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and they were never understaffed. The rooms were of a standard that I would expect for the price paid - we stayed in a standard room. The food in the restaurant was excellent and equal to the service received. The pool area with jacuzzi and sauna was really well looked after. This is normally an area that lacks attention in even the most upmarket hotels that we've stayed in, but not so at this hotel.

There was a wedding there durning our stay and I was concerned that we would be disturbed by the party in the evening but not at all.

Great location too - We took our bikes and you can cycle right into the forest from the hotel.

A big thumbs up for Balmer Lawn.

Would I recommend - yes definately.
Would I return - without a doubt.

p.s. I notice there are a few negative comments on trip advisor and I'd like to add that if you take the time to read the hotels welcome letter on arrival, it clearly states that if you have any problems during your stay they (the hotel) would like the opportunity to resolve these issues while you are there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!