“Ideal location for 'quality me time'”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I spent 3 days at this picturesque hotel, and it just goes to show that you do not always need to leave the country to relax. I found my room very nice and liked the modern decor, even though it was cold and wet weather the hotel was warm and friendly. I attended as part of a group dealing with loss of loved ones and the training room was spacious and clean. I liked the informal lounges with open fires and the walk into the village was easy to do. I am looking for forward to returning in April on the follow up day and would be happy to pay for an overnight stay...many thanks to the staff who found no request to hard during the meal times and took on board my allergies by providing alternatives ie Gluten Free Bread, being aware of my Nut allergies and so on. I was not made to feel like a burden. For such an emotional time this hotel in my opinion was ideal and best suited for the purpose

Room Tip: Forest views are breath taking, I had room on 3rd floor (no 43)
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am pleased to hear that we managed to make an emotional time that little bit easier for you and I hope we can do the same when we see you again in April.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

stayed here 9th & 10th feb 2013, i truly have to say this hotel was a real find. we travel extensively worldwide and this compares well. the staff were so friendly and helpful the whole time nothing was too much trouble. we wanted to relax and it was the perfect place, the food was to such a good standard. i would like to say to the management please do not change a thing we cannot praise what you have achieved enough, and your staff are the icing on the cake consistent in their manner and helpfulness. we will return.we did not use the spa aw was booked but i would imagine the standard is excellent.thankyou so much mr & mrs reidy

Room Tip: balcony room on first floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, we're obviously 'getting it right'!

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Had family visiting from London and thought this hotel would be ideal to have an afternoon tea get-together. No parking problems and fairly easy to find. We had never been there before so was looking forward to a special experience. Well, cannot say that was what we received! We had asked for high tables for the tea as my 93 year old mum-in-law prefers to sit upright, fair enough. They put us on high tables, but they were just in front of the reception area, and the whole thing lacked any atmosphere. Anyway, tea was served-without any milk. The waitress apologised saying in Poland they have no milk with their tea and she had forgot to serve it. The sandwiches were nice and fresh, so were the scones. Cream lovely, strawberry jam kept running off our spoons but apricot jam was delicious(especially requested). The cakes were a complete let down. Three different shapes but all the same colour of 'brown'. One was a small carraot cake, tasty but the other two, one a trianagle and one a small square all looked the same and none of us could tell what we were eating. Compared to other places the cakes were so very disappointing. The price is reasonable, maybe if it had been Summer and we eat outside we would have had a lovely time but as it was don't think we shall make the effort to go all the way out there for tea again, we shall find somewhere closer to home.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sanbran

I was disappointed to read your review on your recent afternoon tea with us at the Balmer Lawn.

Our afternoon teas are usually highly praised by all who have them, and I am at a loss as to explain why this wasn't the case on this occasion.

The cakes are all homemade, one is carrot as you rightly say, another is ginger and the final one is banana. The banana flavour is quite subtle, so may have been over shadowed by other strong flavours. Please accept my apologies that none of these cakes were to your taste.

Maybe you will consider giving us another try in the summer where you can enjoy our beautiful terrace.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

This would have been our 3rd Christmas party at Balmer lawn, normally very good, we booked back in September asked for twin room, not a problem, called the week before, would not be a problem, so we where very disappointed when we arrived to find we did not have the room asked for, offered other rooms but not what we wanted, then Agi arrived, showed us various rooms and magically got us the room we wanted. Very impressed with the service in the end, but disappointed with the 2-3hours it took to resolve the problem. The other problem was the midnight that the disco finished, it Christmas you are in a hotel, but everything stops at midnight, some one Is a bit of a party pooper. Nice location, food very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your Christmas Party with us at the Balmer Lawn.

My apologies with regards to the confusion with your bedroom but I am relieved to hear that Agi saved the day, she is a real asset to the team here at the Balmer Lawn.

I understand your frustrations with regards to the finish time of the party night, this is something that was discussed in our post Christmas meeting and something that we will look into for this year. We just have to be certain that any disco extension does not affect our neighbours and other, non party going, guests.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel next Christmas, if not before!

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Having driven past the hotel on many occasions, it came as a lovely surprise when my husband booked a room for a short break. Our first impression was the cheerful & helpful receptionist, who managed to inform us of all we needed to know in a very few sentences. Our room was very comfortable with an amazing en-suite, the only complaint would be that the TV was on the small size. The full English on the Sunday morning was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed in 2009 so can only base this review on then. The hotel at that time was three stars and looking at getting four, it was a little shabby around the edges ie holes in lamp shades and tired old carpet on the amazing stairwell... BUT that is what we loved about the place, it was charming and relaxing and we took our old dog so we weren't on edge about all that stuff! Beware, don't get drunk and go out on the drive as you may fall down the cattle grid as I did or get kicked by a horse... Not the fault of the hotel and all added to the experience. Love this hotel, really hope I can get back there someday.... Oh and the food in the restaurant was AMAZING!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us a number of years ago.

I am delighted to hear that you have such great memories of your stay and I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back to the 4* Balmer Lawn in the future so you can witness for yourself all the huge improvements that have happened since your last stay!

Reviewed 6 February 2013

A very good experience. We booked this hotel at the last minute, to visit a friend in hospital. The staff were without exception helpful, friendly and courteous. The immediate impression was of an efficient and well run hotel. Our room was on the small side, but well appointed and a very comfortable bed. Food in the restaurant was excellent, well cooked and imaginative. The breakfast as good as aBritish breakfast can be. The whole atmosphere of the hotel was comfortable and welcoming, family and pet friendly. There is a good indoor pool, and I noticed tennis courts, and squash courts as well as a good sized outdoor pool for the summer, and then there is the wonderful forest on the doorstep, which looks beautiful even in a soggy February. We would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and hope to return again. My only reservation is concerning in the dining room which is cold and does nothing for the decor, it looks so much better at breakfast.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, even if the weather was a bit damp!

My apologies that the restaurant was cold while you dined. With the fluctuating weather temperatures we've been experiencing lately, it has been very hard to get it right!

I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!