“Great service, nice room, good breakfast, average property”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
England
“Great service, nice room, good breakfast, average property”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

There wasn't anything negative with our one-night stay at Balmer Lawn. The service was exceptional and the food was very good, especially breakfast. Our room (No. 7) was large, helped by a bay window (not all rooms have one) and very clean. The indoor pool area was very nice and great for our toddler daughter. My only reservation with giving Balmer Lawn an "excellent" rating was the price of the stay. I have stayed at a much nicer properties with more amenities for less, so the overall value is only on the average side.

Room Tip: Room 7 is one of the cheaper four-poster bedrooms, but has a bay window for extra room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You should now be entered onto our mailing list so will receive the benefit of more competitive rates in the future should you wish to return.

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Balmer Lawn as a birthday treat and it was lovely. The hotel had upgraded us to a suite (room 27) which was wonderful, clean, spacious and a fantastic view of the forest. We enjoyed a great breakfast on both mornings and dinner on the Sunday evening which was excellent although the restaurant was a little quiet. The swimming pool was lovely, small but warm and clean. We also enjoyed a lovely cream tea in the lounge on Sunday afternoon which was delicious and good value. All in all a very successful and relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your birthday treat with us!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We love it here. The location is wonderful, the hotel well equipped and the rooms delightful but what we really come back for are the staff and this stay made no exception. We took our young daughter and were made to feel really at ease despite her being on the constant go at all times. From the start at check in Lucy in reception was warm and friendly and could not do more, Will on the bar provided us with colouring pencils for our baby to play with and was really accommodating and Milan who seems to be an all rounder maintenance man and waiter was professional and friendly. Thank you Balmer Lawn for another fabulous stay!!!

• Stayed February 2013
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and that my team were so helpful, I have already thanked Lucy, Will and Milan!

I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Room was modern and clearly redecorated recently. Hotel itself has evidently been revamped, and to that end was comfortable with a good lounge area with nice open fires, with good leisure facilities.
Whilst we had an adequate stay (2 nights in February 2013), we felt strongly that the organisation, or rather lack thereof, let the hotel down.

We had to ring reception 4 times ahead of our stay to make sure we were booked into the correct room for the price we had paid (the voucher we used, caused much confusion - which could have been totally prevented had the hotel kept records of the voucher numbers and prices paid...). Once there, our room service breakfast was late and the poor lads bringing it up could definitely have benefitted with a trolley to leave at the door, to save their blushes with the pair of them traipsing through our room with my wife still in bed :)

Dinner in the main restaurant was good, and the fish was excellently cooked. But again, general service let the place down. We waited over half an hour for a plate of cheese and biscuits in the bar later on, and on another occasion waited about 20 minutes for a pot of tea.

So in summary, a good hotel with excellent views and facilities. The food, when it comes, is good, but the whole place seemed a little disorganised. If it were a person you'd call it talented but scatty...

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

I am pleased to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. As you will see from other reviews on Tripadvisor, service is something that we usually are very good at, my apologies that we didn't 'get it right' during your stay.

I do hope that you will consider giving us another try in the future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We were on the first floor, in an absolutely brilliant room! Number 3! It was spacious, tidy, modern but maybe not such a brilliant view compared to the other rooms! Would highly recommend the higher quality rooms! So worth the money!!!
The food was brilliant, we ate at prezzos in lying ton the first night however just to explore the area. The Sunday roast the next day was super! We also had breakfasting bed (room service) which was lovely!!!
The staff were polite and informative! Offered many different services such as paper in the morning etc, it was lovely to start to recognise staff members through out our stay, it felt much more personal and as if they were there to help us at any time- nothing was ever too much hassle.
The service was fantaasssticccc felt so cared for! Should be a 5* hotel!!!
Take a swimming costume and your wellies!
No complaints what so ever, just a brilliant hotel through and through! Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, but the are lifts.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to hear that you had such a great time and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Swindon
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Booked direct with the hotel (taking advantage of one of their offers) & stayed for my birthday. This is the 3rd time we have stayed & as always the staff are simply wonderful, so helpful, so polite, nothing is too much trouble. The hotel has, I think, the best location in the New Forest, fantastic walks direct from the hotel, cycle hire can be arranged by the hotel. We raised a couple of issues whilst we were there & the staff immediatley resolved them for us. Food & wine excellent. We always have a wonderful time when we visit Balmer Lawn & we intend to continue visiting, I always leave feeling very special.

Room Tip: do not book room 49, lovely decor & fantastic view of the cricket ground but a very very small b...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for takling the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your 3rd visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 4th!

Erdington
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I spent 3 days at this picturesque hotel, and it just goes to show that you do not always need to leave the country to relax. I found my room very nice and liked the modern decor, even though it was cold and wet weather the hotel was warm and friendly. I attended as part of a group dealing with loss of loved ones and the training room was spacious and clean. I liked the informal lounges with open fires and the walk into the village was easy to do. I am looking for forward to returning in April on the follow up day and would be happy to pay for an overnight stay...many thanks to the staff who found no request to hard during the meal times and took on board my allergies by providing alternatives ie Gluten Free Bread, being aware of my Nut allergies and so on. I was not made to feel like a burden. For such an emotional time this hotel in my opinion was ideal and best suited for the purpose

Room Tip: Forest views are breath taking, I had room on 3rd floor (no 43)
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 22 February 2013

I am pleased to hear that we managed to make an emotional time that little bit easier for you and I hope we can do the same when we see you again in April.

K Birrell - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!