“Great for families” 5 of 5 bubbles

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“Great for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We spent a night here while cycling in the new Forest with our 4 boys. The receptionist was really helpful and found us an 'American twin' room with a sofa bed which would accommodate us all. The room was great and worked well for us.

Breakfast was excellent. But the highlight for our family were the sports facilities. With 2 pools (in door and out) a Jacuzzi, sauna, gym aswell as tennis, squash and table tennis this gave as plenty to do while it was wet.

Would definitely visit again with the family.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent family stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and made the most of our extensive facilities.

I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back to the Balmer Lawn in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was my second visit to the Balmer lawn.I made a special effort to travel there as it had been so good the first time round, and was really looking forward to it after a fabulous weekend last September. I couldn't of been more disappointed. I booked a budget room at an advertised price of £99 reduced from £189. I expected the same high standards that I had experienced at this four star hotel last year, believing I was getting a room worth £189. I was aware at the time of booking that the room did not have a view , Which was not a problem. I was expecting four-star accommodation.

However room 22 has clearly not been renovated , and is tired, with wallpaper peeling off the walls. It was filled with old , damaged furniture. The mattress was extremely poor quality and felt like too many people it slept on it. There was no lightbulb in the main ceiling light, and the toilet flush either didn't work, or when it did it took approximately 15 minutes to fill again! The handbasin hung over the bath so you are at risk of hitting your head on it if you lie in the bath. There is no way this is a £189 room in a fourth star hotel.

I raised my concerns when I left only to be told that I had should have looked at the rooms and that this was a £99 room. Be careful if you book through late rooms as it is not advertised in this way, and I saw no reason to look at the hotel's website to see what the room was like.

I think the room was misrepresented to me , as it was advertised as a £189 room being sold at a reduced price . I do not know whether this is the hotel's fault, or the other website that it is being sold through. Buyer beware. A total disappointment, and one which is doing the hotel a disservice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Emma H
I was disappointed to read your review with regards to your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn, however, having read your review I’m not totally surprised at your disappointment.

As a family owned hotel refurbishment work is done as, and when business allows. It is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge, it’s a never ending job. With this in mind we created our ‘Look Before You Book’ booking system on our website which shows photographs of all our 53 bedrooms, along with a brief summary of each. We have individually priced each room according to its décor, outlook, size etc. This has introduced 4 budget rooms to our room stock, which are next on the list for refurbishment BUT in the meantime they make it a very cheap option to stay at a four star hotel, whether you are staying after a wedding, attending a cycling event etc. and just need a bed for the night. I believe in total transparency, and this is why we devised this booking system.

Please accept my sincere apologies that Late Rooms have sold our budget rooms in this misleading way, I will ask our Sales team to look into whether we can change the way Late Rooms sell our product. We do hope that guests will book direct through our website as we can guarantee the lowest rate, and also include breakfast. This way you would be able to see photographs on the type of room that you were booking.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel in the future, and please do look at the rooms on our website to ensure that you are not disappointed again.

K Birrell – General Manager
Barcelona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Pool, restaurant, huge room, all type of services... Too much for us, who were looking for somewhere just to sleep and take energy, but there were no vacancies in other places.
I would return in other circumstances.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I do hope that we may get the chance of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, hopefully this time you can enjoy our extensive facilities and services.

Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

On a beautiful sunny day we came to the garden/dining area of Balmer Lawn. We ordered 'afternoon tea'. I have had afternoon tea in several hotels/restaurants. Without doubt-this was the very best I have ever tasted. It is also the best value. Served by lovely staff and giving a real experience of Hampshire afternoon tea.
To the sound of a water fountain, the tea was served accompanied by a 2 tier cake stand. Top plate---6 finger sandwiches, 2 each of the fillings in the soft bread of egg, salmon and cucumber and cheese with pickle. Bottom plate--to die for goodies!!! 2 fruit scones-baked to perfection. To put on the scones, runny jam(?home made) and a 'boule' of clotted cream. Absolutely sumptious.
If this wasn't enough-(there were 2 of us), came the cakes--2 each of carrot cake, gingerbread,chocolate brownies and shortbread(something else-forgotten-couldn't eat it all).
Tea pot topped up by attentive staff.
Almost from a 'bygone time'.
The cost of this treat was unbelievable. At least half of what you would have to pay in London.
Thanks to the team at Balmer Lawn. Hope to return soon, and stay if this is the standard.
(cannot comment on staying at hotel as only used terrace garden)

Room Tip: Did not stay. Have clicked all in order to send review of afternoon tea
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Irene M
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent afternoon tea with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed it so much, I do 'quality control' our 'goodies' daily and totally agree with you, all very tasty!

I do hope that we may get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Ironbridge Gorge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed here last week whilst attending The New Forest Show. The Hotel was very busy of course but we LOVED our stay here. Lots of parking spaces, very efficient check in by 2 lovely helpful people. Fabulous room (25)....Comfortable beds, every possible thing you could require, free wi-fi, quality toiletries, flat screen tv with lots of channels, free water...and tea and coffee...but most importantly it was quiet!!!!
Breakfast was as good as it gets....once again pleasant members of staff, all well trained and with a smile on their faces. The food was all fresh and plenty of choice all beautifully laid out.
I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this hotel to anyone.
Thank You to everyone involved.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn for the New Forest Show.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we will get the chance of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I left the hotel yesterday after staying there for eight nights whilst I was working at the New Forest Show. However I did manage to go back there for lunch each day on the front terrace and used their facilities every evening. The food in the restaurant and the lounge bar was fantastic. All of the staff were attentive, friendly and efficient. During my stay the front terrace was perfect for an evening drink with plenty of sunshine until 8:30pm. You also have a choice of an indoor or outdoor pool and plenty of other leisure activities. The location is perfect, with no other buildings in sight and plenty of walking and cycling trails. Please don't listen to any of the negative comments. My personal experience at the Balmer tells me that if you have a problem the staff will do their utmost to accommodate you. For example, yes my room was hot because of the excellent weather but on requesting a fan, this came to my room immediately and the problem was solved. I found the hotel to be in excellent condition and will be returning for a leisure break. This is one of the best hotels I have been fortunate enough to stay in in the uk.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, albeit whilst you were working. I do hope that you'll manage to join us for a leisure break in the future, hopefully with just as great weather!

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Balmer Lawn was booked for the weekend for the family on the occasion of our Golden Wedding Anniversary with a private room for dining for the two nights. The whole thing was organised by Agi who ensured that every wish was totally met. Service during the stay was quite outstanding with a special mention for Milan who looked after us for the evening meal that itself was of a very high standard. One guest said that this was the best UK hotel that she had ever stayed in and I must say that I find it difficult to fault that judgement.

This family occasion proved to be one of the best, if not the best in our 50 years. The hotel must take much of the credit for this conclusion.

The availability of the two pools suited everyone, especially the children who did not seem to spend much time out of the water!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have been refurbished, although in the recent hot spell they seemed warmer th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent Golden Wedding Anniversary event and stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your time with us and that we managed to help make your family gathering so special.

K Birrell - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,684 reviews
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!