“Another Perfect Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
“Another Perfect Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Every year we look forward to our break at the Balmer Lawn. Once again it was just perfect. With the newly added Spa "Saltus" we were also able to enjoy some relaxing treatments too. The food and accommodation are excellent (as always) and the staff so friendly. Having stayed now several times and now knowing the New Forest pretty well, we even challenged the receptionist to recommend a day out. It resulted in a takeaway picnic and drive through the forest in a "Twizzy" which can be hired from the Hotel. What can i say more then once you stay at this hotel you will not want to leave.

Room Tip: This is the only Hotel I know that is not affraid to show photos of all its rooms. Go onto the websi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed a day out in 'Ermintrude' our Twizy, she's great fun for a day out!

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have attended many functions at this hotel and the service has always been superb. This was the first time we had stayed overnight and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the lovely village of Brockenhurst. Our room overlooked the front lawn and was spacious, very clean, comfy and charming. We had a lovely breakfast and the staff were friendly, polite and calm despite the huge event they had hosted over the weekend. I wish we had arrived earlier and stayed later to make the most of this welcoming forest hotel!

Room Tip: Four poster with view to front of hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Fordingbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here overnight as went to an event and didn't want to drive home. Couldn't fault anything. We had a four poster bed and it was so comfortable we slept like logs. The bathroom was a lovely size and had everything we needed. We had a superb balcony but sadly the weather wasn't good enough to use it. And as for breakfast we all ate far too much which speaks for itself. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. All in all we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your brief time with us, and hopefully we may get to see you again in the future, hopefully with better weather!

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were lucky enough to win a weekend at Balmer Lawn via a Facebook competition.
The staff were all so friendly and couldn't do enough for us. We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant and the waiter was great entertainment and also couldn't do enough for us.
The suite we stayed in blended contemporary with traditional nicely with a very functional and well equipped room - the shower was awesome!!!
To see horses, donkeys, ponies, cows, sheep and pigs roaming free from your bedroom window ensured an ever changing scene each time you looked outside.
We will definitely return again soon.

Room Tip: If possible, an upgrade to a suite with a view to the front of the hotel is highly recommended.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian C
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 17 October 2013

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Jeddah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have stayed in this area a few times in the past and always liked the position and appearance of this hotel. The hotel was fairly busy, perhaps because of the boat show in Southampton mainly with elderly guests (Including me now!). The hotel is tired and the carpets are shabby. It is very traditional and seems to operate efficiently. I was confronted with a receptionist who breathed germs over me and actually ruined my stay as I caught whatever he had. This should not have happened. I ate on e night in the restaurant and the food was excellent though with limited local choice. The spa was small but adequate with a small pool and gym. I booked a room with 4 poster bed and had a front facing balcony which was OK but this room was very small with very limited wardrobe and cupboard space. The furniture was old and dated. For the price I have experienced much better value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

Please accept my apologies that you caught a bug during your stay with us, not what you'd expect from a relaxing stay.

I do hope that you might consider giving us another chance in the future.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked this hotel because practically everything else in the New Forest was booked up and I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a sauna, pool, gym, outdoor pool and outdoor tennise courts. If you use these facilities I would say that this hotel is great value. It is also in the New Forest and the hotel has bikes that you can hire. The staff are very welcoming, polite and helpful. The breakfast is huge with a great selection. I booked the standard room. Don't expect to be amazed by these rooms, they are clean and comfortable but the furniture is a bit tired. However, we had a lovely forest view which made up for it.

Room Tip: If you can get a forest view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed at Lawn Lodge for the last week in August 2013. The house is very convenient being essentially part of the hotel. Seen as a big hotel room it makes for a great place to stay. The staff at the hotel are first rate, you can't fault them for politeness and taking care of your every need.

The food in the restaurant is very nice as is the afternoon tea.

In general we had a great time and I will happily give them five stars. Therefore, while my feelings are nearly all positive I do have a few negative comments to make. Some outside the control of the hotel (which is relevant IMHO because it adds to your decisions about staying there).

This really isn't a four star hotel. I think they would do themselves a lot more justice to become three star... as a three star it would be a very good three star. But there are too many tatty and broken bits and bobs to really be four star. For example, worn and damaged carpets in the corridor near the bar... sorry but even if it's family run and you get to maintenance when you can, four start hotels don't have things like that.

The bar meal is not a good idea at all. You end up paying almost as much as the restaurant but without quite the attentive and first rate service you get in the restaurant. Much better to eat in the proper restaurant or walk down into the town and find an actual pub meal. Also the price of drinks is simply robbery... a mistake really when instead of chilling in the bar and having a few drinks we went back to our accommodation. Correct me if I'm wrong but the bloody Mary was £7 and it wasn't a double or a stunningly made one.

The staff while fantastic had a couple of people who had such a limited grasp of English that ordering any food or drink was a pain, I speak fairly received English and speak slowly and clearly when I need to... but it got a bit silly. At the bar meal we had to repeat the order seven times and then it still turned up wrong with a whole extra meal and side orders missing. Then my dessert came with elements missing which luckily another member of staff noticed and corrected. What made this meal even more exasperating was the mistake then made it to the bill and when we pointed it out we were reassured it would be removed when we came to settle the final bill. Not sure why it could't have been done then and there.

The house was very comfortable, lovely beds etc. Massively lacking in wardrobe space though. We ended up with my parents in the small room, my daughter in the medium room, my son on the put you up in the living room and my wife and I in the master bedroom. But only the master bedroom had a wardrobe so everyone ended up keeping their clothes hanging in our room. The house is, as I have said, very nice, but if and when it is next renovated, if it was mine I would enlarge the smallest bedroom and reduce the size of the kitchen and conservatory area... adding a second bathroom (or at least shower room and some more wardrobe space). While you can fit six or eight people in the house. It really would best suite a family of two adults and two kids. If you went with two or three couples someone would get an awesome room, and the others would get very small rooms.

The maids clearly took a lot of time cleaning the house before our stay but missed the three beer cans which had been thrown over and were laying obviously in the middle of the garden... I wanted to leave them but my mum picked them up and chucked them away. Only a trivial point, but a quick glance round the garden would add to the fact the house was very clean and tidy.

One last point about the house, it has the most perplexing electrical system. The automatic lights in the bathroom were one of those ideas which may have sounded good but are actually just a pain in the bottom and not an improvement from having a switch.

Also the path from the Lodge to the hotel could do with a couple of simple solar lights for use at night and the tree just the other side of it really needs cutting back. My dad hit his head on it almost every time he went through.

As someone else has mentioned on here, the outdoor pool has some nasty sharp edges... typically my 12 year old daughter cut her knee within a few seconds of being in there. Lovely pool otherwise and kept properly warm as befits an outdoor pool in the UK. We loved both pools and sauna and jacuzzi etc. As per my original comments though... both pools, the inside pool especially is a bit shabby round the edges, missing roof tiles, cracked floor, and the sauna seating is decaying to the point I chose where I sat carefully. Again, if this was a three star hotel I wouldn't have found fault.

But to come back full circle... fantastic staff... which is very important to a nice stay. Lovely food. The Sunday carvery being the best roast I have ever eaten.

Location wise... if you want to spend your whole time walking or mountain biking this is a great spot by New Forest standards. If you want to go into the village on foot then the walk is down a very busy road with a very narrow (single file at times) footpath. Also the road the Lodge is on is a typically deceptive New Forest road... at night it's dead... during a busy holiday season day it might as well be the M25 and even walking the few yards to the river with no footpath takes some courage.

We stay in the New Forest a lot and have often considered moving there... we have tended to prefer Burley over anywhere else. If this hotel and it's lovely staff could be moved to the Burley Manor site it would be the best hotel in the world. As it is, because of the location, not the hotel or staff I wouldn't stay there again. Through no fault of the hotel or its owner, their little spot is ridiculously overrun by traffic on busy days, to the point where it stopped us wanting to go out by car. This is the problem with so much of the New Forest in high season. Thing is though, where we stay in Burley you can get around into the village (what little there is of it) without coming into contact with any traffic.

Despite anything negative, I would recommend both the hotel and the Lawn Lodge to anyone who asked and we did have a super relaxing week.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank julian_bLondon
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on your recent stay with us in Lawn Lodge and of the hotel.

I am pleased to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken all your comments on board and will relay them to the appropriate departments where necessary.

I do hope that we may have the chance of welcoming you back in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,686 reviews
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!