Balmer Lawn
US$205
Beaulieu Hotel(Beaulieu)
US$133
US$120
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Breakfast included
Forest Park Hotel(Brockenhurst)
TripAdvisor
The Pig(Brockenhurst)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
1,801 results
All reviewsberesfords restaurantsaltus spathird floornew forestjacuzzi and saunasuperior roomindoor and outdoor poolsleisure facilitiescomplimentary upgradeafternoon teaforest viewlovely hotelfour posterlounge areaspa treatmentsfamily roomrestaurant manager
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We booked the hotel as it was my birthday weekend and also my partner starts his radiotherapy in April and we wanted a relaxing weekend together. We booked a 3 night bliss package which included a wonderful afternoon tea on arrival on the Friday afternoon. We had a 1 hr spa massage / reflexology treatment each on the Saturday morning and another 45 mins on the Monday morning - we cannot thank the spa staff enough they were just great especially with my partners illness- just wonderful.

All the staff from arrival to leaving we're friendly welcoming and made our stay just what we wanted.

We did have a few problems, a leak from the ceiling on our 2nd night whilst getting ready for dinner which required a move to a standard room for one night and then we were moved to the luxury honeymoon 4 poster room for our last night. Not quite our plan for my birthday night finishing dinner and quick pack and move but It was an unusual way to see 3 types of room though- it was one of those things and could not be helped but the staff were very good.

All in though I preferred our 1st room which had a balcony and was bliss sitting out there on Saturday afternoon with a pot of tea in the sunshine.

The food was really good, plenty of choice for breakfast and pleasant service.

The pool, sauna and spa tub was especially nice on the Friday as not busy at all but the Saturday to many children for me, so when we come back, which we will, it will be during the week so it is quieter.

This is a wonderful hotel for a relaxed enjoyable stay with some walks from the hotel (useful to take a walking map) and easy to drive around.
Looking forward to coming back.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank daisiemoo
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your experience at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner had such a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed all our facilities as well as the home made food. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about service and especially all my hard working staff. They are a great asset to the hotel. I am glad to hear that the little “mis-happening” did not affect your stay in a totally negative way and you had the chance to see more of the hotel then a normal customer would on a single visit. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We only spent 1 night here but our circumstances ensured that we put the hotel to the test and they left a lasting impression on how well they handled our situation. Our son was still getting over Chicken Pox and the hotel kindly set up a breakfast table in the lounge away from the main breakfast area so that we could have breakfast in comfort.

During this time we also suffered a toddler melt down tantrum to which the staff were very understanding and helpful, something that is very much appreciated as I'm sure many parents would agree.

We had excellent room service and the staff at reception were very friendly. If I could give 10 stars I would, a very well done to the staff if you read these reviews, in particular our thanks to the chap on reception.

Room Tip: The adjoined family room has a bunk bed, sofabed and space for a cot with it's own TV.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn.
I am delighted to hear that you and your family had such a great experience and enjoyed the stay with us. Many thanks for the complimentary comments about our staff and the whole service experience. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a couple if days here on a special deal. Very comfortable, pool quite small especially if it is full of children . If you are a couple I would avoid school hols but if you have children it is very good and child friendly. Food and service very good. Would return but at a quieter time. Quite expensive unless you can take advantage of a deal. Well placed for the New Forest.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed everything the Balmer Lawn has to offer. Many thanks for the complimentary comments about service and our great homemade food. With Balmer Lawn Hotel you can have the best of both worlds, either a quiet stay or a nice family friendly break. We pride ourselves to be a very family friendly hotel with great facilities and a good location, and I believe this is very much appreciated by our customer. Equally we can be a very quiet and relaxing hotel experience at a different time. I would recommend that customer choose the time of their stay very consciences of holiday time and school breaks. I am glad that you had a good experience at Balmer Lawn Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

my mum & I went to the Balmer lawn to use their spa for the first time, we were very disappointed with their facilities, it would of only been ok if you had treatments which were very expensive, we were only going for a day of relaxation without paying for the treatments however I wouldn't say a swimming pool, sauna & jacuzzi is the usual 'spa'. we have been to much nicer places with much more facilities. also we arrived at 11am & were told there was going to be a children's swimming lesson from 12am-1am in the pool, this was very noisy & made it not relaxing for us, although staff were very helpful & friendly, couldn't fault them.

• Stayed: March 2014
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to our leisure facilities. I do not agree with your view about our facilities at all. Apart from the mentioned facilities we also have 6 treatment rooms as well as a relaxation area. Our Spa has just been open for 4 month and is still in development with many more features in the pipeline.The poolside spa day you attended was a way of starting to introduce our spa facilities to the public. At no point have we claimed that we are the spa with all facilities one could imagen.
I also do not agree with your view on our pricing for treatment as this is in line with what is common practise and well received by a numerouse amount of happy customer so far.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by our baby swimmer trying to learn how to swim, but as you point out, it was only 1 hour and other facilities were available to be used in this time. It is very regrettable that you did not enjoy the time spend with us. We hope you will try to visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed for one night at the Balmer Lawn at the beginning of March. We booked 3 double 'superior rooms' which were naturally an upgrade and more expensive than a standard room.
Few points to make about the room and hotel.
1. Despite being a superior room, it was small with no lounge type area, which I was lead to expect. Rooms were modern and I understand decorated within the last 2 years. The room had a nice view of the lawns at the front, but no balcony unlike other rooms in the hotel.
2. When I questioned what was the difference, apart from the additional £50 per night, per room, set against a standard room, I was advised that they were in better decorative order, and had a view of the front of the hotel, rather than say the rear or side views.
3. As we were staying on business, we really needed more than a simple bedroom, and required additional sofa, more space etc, as you would expect from a 'superior room' in most hotels.
4. Beds were small doubles. Unusual in a 4 star hotel. Design of the room we had could have been better.
5.Staff and service at the hotel was very good.
6. We ate in the main restaurant. Good menu choice but expensive. We had to send a couple of dishes back as served lukewarm. Food however was good quality, although portions were slightly small.
6. Breakfast was excellent.

Overall a nice weekend. If the rooms were 'sold' as standard rooms I would have been much happier!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian K

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that you had a good service experience overall.
Unfortunately as the hotel is a very old building and was build up to its current the layout over a long period of time, it is unavoidable that every room has a different lay out with various sizes, views as well as adds on like balconies. As mentioned by you, it is right that the difference from standard to superior is the decorative standard (Not so much when it was decorated but the style of the decoration) but also the size of the room.
We have different lay out of even the same type of rooms. You could have had a look at some alternative rooms of the same type in order to compare and pick out a more suitable room for you. Should you have made us aware that you wanted a bigger room at time of booking and we did miss this opportunity please accept my sincere apologies for our mistake.
Regarding the bed size we feel that we are using standard sizes for our beds in most of our rooms. There are a few rooms with bigger beds available in the hotel as well, which we could allocate if requested.
Thank you very much for your good comments about our home cooked food for dinner as well as breakfast. Yet I am puzzled about the temperature issues you mentioned. This must have been a rare exception. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and hope that, next time you are visiting, all these issues will not concern you anymore and you will have an even more enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.