“Nice location but very expensive for what you get....or don't get.”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“Nice location but very expensive for what you get....or don't get.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ok, bed and breakfast for £180 in a superior room. Coming from London we were not unaccustomed to expensive rooms so we thought it should be fine.

On arrival staff we friendly and location is great.

At this point we should mention that £180 is half price...so normally twice that.

The room had a lovely view bit was no bigger than your standard double.

The bed was standard size and we had to remake it ourselves as the sheets were too small and didn't tuck under the mattress. The bed itself was fairly uncomfortable.

There were no bedside lamps and the wall switch for the ceiling lamps were too far away on one side, indicating that there had originally been a much larger double bed in place. There was also chips and chunks missing from the wallpaper and a stain on one of the curtains.

The bathroom floor was clean but there was noticeable orange limescale staining around the edge of the bath, particularly in the corner. The shower head leaked losing pressure from the experience of showering and the overhead sink lighting had to be tapped vigorously after switching on for both lamps to light.

The room phone was a portable device which had been left switched off so was not charged leaving us having to wait for it to gain charge before calling down to reception to enquire about the lack of bath robes. Once apparently charged we were enable to make a 10 second call before it ran out of power, inevitably it was defective, in which time we managed to discern that each robe came with a £10 surcharge...only the room grades above ours qualified for complimentary robes.....

So, off to the pools...which do have adjacent changing. The interior pool was lovely and clean but as it was a sunny day we wanted to venture outside. The exterior pool was still covered at 8:15 although advertised as being open from 7am so we waited for the manager to remove the cover. It was lovely and warm but in need of cleaning with plenty of floating debris. It was also in need of repair with missing motar and a large tile lying on the bottom of the pool where it had fallen off the side.

All the above was mentioned to the manager on check out and we received a £20 discount.

I ensured I ate a second round if breakfast.

Overall it was a bit more of a shabby chique experience with 5 star pricing.

Can't fault the staff but the hotel itself needs work to justify the prices....even if you are getting discounted rates.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank jonathan m
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your experience at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am sorry to hear that a few details during your stay were not as they should have been. I certainly will consult my housekeeping regarding the issues you mentioned regarding your room facilities. As the outdoor pool is a heated pool and with the uncertainty of temperatures and weather during the day at this time of the year we only open the outdoor pool much later in the day or on request if somebody wants to use it early. The missing tile was actually happening just the day before you used the pool and was repaired the day when you actually used the pool. Unfortunately I do not know any hotel where a maintenance department works over night, but I know a few hotels which would actually have closed the pool for the whole day. After assessing the whole situation we did regard the pool as save for customer so you were actually able to use the outdoor pool at all.
I am delighted that you complimented all my staff as they are working very hard to make all customer very welcome. Thank you very much again for your point of view and I hope to be able to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

15 of us (including one infant) stayed for my Dad's 70th birthday on the Spring Bank Holiday Sunday, and despite our number with 7 rooms, a guide dog and a small child, they did exceptionally well! All rooms were available on arrival and a list for the evening meal had been created so they could prepare our large order in advance! The room that my partner and I had was on the second floor and overlooked the cricket green. We were taking our dog, but a last minute decision we left him with my mother in law. The room was great, spacious and had doggie facilities in there! My only complaint about the room was the bed. Some may like a soft mattress that you sink into and lay in a trough all night, but I have a lower back problem, so my night was particularly uncomfortable! I actually think the mattress could do with replacing if I'm honest...
The evening meal was great, nobody complained and nothing went back! Breakfast was good too! The reception area was turned into a buffet and was laid out the night before (we went to bed quite late!), so early risers could get their breakfast! We had a table reserved for breakfast so we could all sit together.
The location is fabulous! It's right next to the stream, where we have visited on numerous occasions as a family in our younger years and more recently camping nearby. It's between Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst, so slap bang in the middle of the forest.
Overall, our experience was great and the price for 15 people, 7 rooms, a 3 course meal with wine and liqueurs for the adults and breakfast, was under £1700, which was fantastic!
Would definitely stay again (in a different bed though), just a lovely place!

• Stayed May 2014
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed all the facilities of the hotel. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about our great homemade food as well as our very friendly staff and efficient service. Sadly some of our beds were supplied originally with matrasses more on the soft side. Yet if we are aware of a special guest request, we can always try to do arrange something to change this. If we could ask you to mention this at your next booking, I am sure we can rectify this easily. l look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Preston
Reviewed 17 May 2014

There is nothing really wrong with Balmer Lawn that I could go to town on, apart from one very minor thing which I will cover later. The staff are professional but that does not mean cold and aloof. They are friendly and warm. The hotel is clean and full of character and abounds with those little touches that other hotels don`t bother with, but are noticed and appreciated by the guests.

The wildlife on the cricket pitch in front of the hotel, is a great place to watch the four-legged wildlife. My wife and I had an update to room 33 and overlooked the cricket pitch and it gave the wife plenty of opportunity to practise her oo`s and ah`s whenever something with a leg at each corner appeared.

The guest satisfaction survey is about as unfair a document as it is possible to have. One of the questions asks for the name of a member of staff who gave particularly good service. It is like asking which orchid you prefer in a bunch of a dozen. Most unfair.

Now for the gripe that I promised earlier. The catering is quite fantastic but there is a food joke based on kitchen ignorance of regional dishes, that can be found in every hotel and guest house in Britain. I refer to black puddings. Apart from diameter and colour, they are as akin to a real black pudding as a sumo wrestler is to a ballet dancer. As a northerner who lives quite near to the home of black puddings (Bury), I can tell you that a real black pudding is moist, open texured, roughly horseshoe in shape and impossible to slice neatly. It looks nothing like the dry, black sawdust, served at breakfasts in hotels up and down the country and it is such a shame that chefs who can produce fantastic food, know so little about regional delicacies.

If it wasn`t 260 miles from where I live, I`d go back at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: Just leave it to the staff - they know what they are doing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed almost every aspect of your stay, from the room facilities, the view the great outdoors of the hotel as well as our great food. I am especially delighted about your comment about all of our hard working staff, which are a great value to the hotel. It is a shame that we (down south) just accept anything as a black pudding without having experienced the “real thing”. Next time you plan to visit us, please get in contact with me first and maybe we could arrange a special deal where you bring us the original black pudding and we give you a special deal. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Had a great stay with family and friends for a double 50th birthday celebration. Stayed two nights. Weather was fantastic. Suitable for all age groups. Food was excellent. Freshly cooked and very tasty. All staff were great and made us feel very welcome. Added bonus was a dog could stay in a few of the rooms. Good location as right next to entry location into New Forest, so able to go running. Also enjoyed the indoor pool and sauna.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed your birthday celebrations. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about our great homemade food as well as our service. I am glad you enjoyed all our fantastic facilities and appreciate the special offer to allow our four legged friends to stay with their owners. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Great hotel a mixture of old style service with upto date rooms first class food and facilities. Will certainly be going back. The location is great as it is central to all the attractions. There is good parking as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that you had such a good time and you did enjoy all facilities of the hotel. I am convinced that your next stay will be as enjoyable as the last one. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

On our wedding anniversary we went for a special lunch as we no longer go out much in the evening. It was a beautiful April day and we ate on the terrace. The staff were very helpful and friendly. As expected lunch was very modern (there was also a bar menu with several traditional pub dishes). What my husband describes as Chef School, but the pork was excellent, sliced and piled up on some spinach with sliced potatoes. Not what my dietician would describe as a balanced meal even with the side dish of vegetables that we ordered. This is not exclusive to Balmer Lawn, I know. We're not vegetarians and love meat but appreciate vegetables as well. The food was very tasty and quite filling and with a pleasant glass of the house wine we were well content. Balmer lawn is a lovely location in the forest with a wide view from the terrace and the main road is far enough away not to be obtrusive. There were several families staying in the hotel, most seemed to be enjoying the river across the road where there is a bit of a beach. We were told that the hotel is family owned which is perhaps why it was so calm and happy. We discussed staying here when the summer holiday rush is over and were offered a tour of the hotel which we declined, not being fitness freaks. All we would need are the hiking boots as we love the forest. We were mis-delivered an early cream tea which looked very, very interesting. Can't wait. Only real nig is the music playing on the terrace, we'd rather have been able to hear the birds. Lovely place, reasonable prices.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C C
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your lunch at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our home made food as well as atmosphere on the terrace. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about great staff. I am convinced that we will live up to your expectations again upon your return visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Balmer Lawn Hotel very soon.
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights with husband and baby and we had an excellent time. The room was upgraded for and we had so much space! Everything was spotlessly clean. The pool was fantastic. Breakfast delicious and lots of choice, fresh pastreys, fruit, full english etc. The staff were really really friendly, I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, and it is also in an excellent location so we could go for some bike rides.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
I am delighted to hear that we had the service experience right for you and your family. I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade of the bedroom as well as the quality of our fantastic breakfast food. Many thanks for your complimentary comments about our staff, who are a real asset to the hotel. I look forward welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!