Ok, bed and breakfast for £180 in a superior room. Coming from London we were not unaccustomed to expensive rooms so we thought it should be fine.
On arrival staff we friendly and location is great.
At this point we should mention that £180 is half price...so normally twice that.
The room had a lovely view bit was no bigger than your standard double.
The bed was standard size and we had to remake it ourselves as the sheets were too small and didn't tuck under the mattress. The bed itself was fairly uncomfortable.
There were no bedside lamps and the wall switch for the ceiling lamps were too far away on one side, indicating that there had originally been a much larger double bed in place. There was also chips and chunks missing from the wallpaper and a stain on one of the curtains.
The bathroom floor was clean but there was noticeable orange limescale staining around the edge of the bath, particularly in the corner. The shower head leaked losing pressure from the experience of showering and the overhead sink lighting had to be tapped vigorously after switching on for both lamps to light.
The room phone was a portable device which had been left switched off so was not charged leaving us having to wait for it to gain charge before calling down to reception to enquire about the lack of bath robes. Once apparently charged we were enable to make a 10 second call before it ran out of power, inevitably it was defective, in which time we managed to discern that each robe came with a £10 surcharge...only the room grades above ours qualified for complimentary robes.....
So, off to the pools...which do have adjacent changing. The interior pool was lovely and clean but as it was a sunny day we wanted to venture outside. The exterior pool was still covered at 8:15 although advertised as being open from 7am so we waited for the manager to remove the cover. It was lovely and warm but in need of cleaning with plenty of floating debris. It was also in need of repair with missing motar and a large tile lying on the bottom of the pool where it had fallen off the side.
All the above was mentioned to the manager on check out and we received a £20 discount.
I ensured I ate a second round if breakfast.
Overall it was a bit more of a shabby chique experience with 5 star pricing.
Can't fault the staff but the hotel itself needs work to justify the prices....even if you are getting discounted rates.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A good quality 4 Star Hotel & Spa set right in the heart of the beautiful New Forest National Park. We have extensive leisure facilities - indoor and outdoor pools, Jacuzzi, 6 Spa treatment rooms and relaxation area, tennis and squash courts and fully equipped gym. Beresford's our award winning restaurant with 2 AA Rosettes offers some of the finest locally sourced foods in the area. You can access the Forest directly from the hotel. We have 6 rooms suitable for private, wedding and conference/corporate use. The hotel is privately owned and managed and we pride ourselves on offering great service. Book directly with the hotel for the best rates and room allocations inclusive of a full English breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Balmer Lawn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balmer Lawn Hotel Brockenhurst
- Balmer Lawn Brockenhurst, New Forest