Balmer Lawn
Rhinefield House Hotel(Brockenhurst)
  • Breakfast included
Lime Wood Hotel(Lyndhurst)
1,778 results
All reviewsberesfords restaurantsaltus spathird floornew forestjacuzzi and saunasuperior roomindoor and outdoor poolsleisure facilitiescomplimentary upgradeafternoon teaforest viewlovely hotelfour posterlounge areaspa treatmentsfamily roomrestaurant manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2014

At very short notice my husband wanted to book an emergency, romantic night away from London! I left him to it which was the mistake... Is this a Spa retreat or is it a family hotel? the Balmer Lawn needs to make it's own mind up! Our room was one of the newly refurbished so although compact it was clean & tidy. (Why do all recently refurbished hotel rooms have to be in dark shades of grey & brown? Ok maybe in an urban environment but this is the New Forest for goodness sake) Sadly the bar & some of the other areas are tired & dated so it is like an hotel with a split personality..... I was also confused used by the decorative "pieces" adorning walls & corners, is there a theme or is it just a random collection? On the bright side the staff are friendly & food at dinner was superb although the overall experience was marred a little by noisy children in the dining room. But then, in essence this really is a family hotel although I'd hazard a guess it doesn't see itself as that. The new Spa is jolly good, great treatments & not too badly priced but can it thrive in this muddled environment, as it deserves to do? We won't be going back but would recommend it to our friends with children who have lots of spare cash.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaraSilvertoes
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a very honest review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you found our facilities as well as our food enjoyable. Thank you very much for your very positive comments about our lovely staff. Admittedly I have to agree that we portray a mixed picture of trying to serve several different customer groups. We do emphasize that we are very family orientated and therefore appreciate if you do recommend us to your friends. Should you want to come back to the hotel I would rather recommend the low season. You will experience a completely different hotel which I am sure would suit better. Again thank you very much and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here while visiting the area for a wedding. Arrived on Friday and was advised we'd been upgraded (we had a 'budget' deal on Booking.com for £120 a night PLUS breakfast). Got to the room and was astounded... tiny, filthy carpets so old it was peeling away from the wall, (cup water mark) stained and broken furniture and a bathroom so small, anyone taller than 6 foot would have to put their legs in the bath to sit on the loo! If this was 'upgrade' I would have loved to have seen the room we were going to be staying in. one of the worst night's sleep we have ever had - hot although too noisy due to air con units or something directly outside the room, to open the window. But, as this was just somewhere to bed down, had no intention of spending any time in here and the hotel was full, shrugged it off.
Restaurant was nice with the food being a high standard although service both in here and in bar later was hit and miss (had to ask three times for another glass of wine - I had finished my meal before it came and the place was virtually empty). We went to the bar after dinner for coffee as it was quite late and were ignored for 15 mins - the barman had even told me he'd be with us in a minute - clearly forgot... we gave up and went to bed.
Spa was OK, bit tired and grubby in parts, particularly in the spa bath but delighted it was 'free' (Although at £120 a night room onlyI should hope so!).
Breakfast was nice - lots of choice and plenty of it with buffet being topped up regularly..
Most of the staff were really friendly and helpful in booking taxis etc...
Checked out in the morning and didn't check the bill until we were on the motorway, was a bit put out to discounter a service charge had been added to the bill for presumably our restaurant bill - £17! Absolute cheek as the service had been mediocre at best and never saw anything about a service charge being automatically added.
The only reason I hadn't complained whilst there is because I was too busy on Saturday and Sunday, just wanted to get out of there and get home (took a good ten minutes to queue to check out so really didn't have the will to complain).
Left a review for Booking which interestingly enough hasn't been published. I know the hotel is being refurbed but if you are looking at a 'budget' deal then I guess you will end up with one of these rooms. No idea what hotel the good reviews have been to?! (even double checked in the car on the way home that I had booked the right one!)Definitely wouldn't go back... shame as a lovely area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. It is such a shame that people booking a budget deal expecting the world to be given for free. And there is obviously no appreciation for efforts to complimentary upgrade customer which is our normal procedure if space in the hotel allows. I agree with you that we sometimes are not as consistent as I we want to be and the day you stayed with us was one of the days especially in respect of the bar service. But I am equally glad that you experience our all friendly and helpful staff. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast very much.
It is a common practise that hotels and restaurants charge service charge, as is explained in our dinner menu on the welcome page. Unfortunately you must have missed this as we give the option to take the charge of. I am really sorry about this.
I also would think that at the height of the checkout times on a Sunday morning, even with sufficient staff on, there will be a build-up of customer in the best of the hotel. We are trying to efficiently work to minimise the impact for guests at check out, we even offer express check out which is clearly explained as procedure upon check in.
Overall I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations and hope you might give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I'm not one for long-winded reviews so below are the list of things that went well/not so well but it is unfortunately more of the latter.
Room noisy when breakfast served from lobby as sound carries.
Plastic found in the bacon at breakfast.
Room a bit "tired". ( Please do not blame on the building being old) It needs maintaining.
Room keys never worked.
Flowers left in wrong room so if it was not for our honesty another guest would not have got their surprise.
People kept waiting on more than one occasion at the bar and drinks order was incorrect/inconsistent pricing.
Room rate not good value for money at all.
Having stayed in many various hotels all around the world, and considering the room rate, I'm afraid this just is not good enough.

Comments on previous page say it all.
Not good value for money although some of the staff try really hard. Lost attention to detail and the place is tired.
Leisure facilities were excellent.
Room was a good size and a great view no question but it was just worn out!!
Too many little mistakes really tarnished the whole weekend and the noise at breakfast was just inexcusable.

Room Tip: Do not get a room overlooking lobby as it is noisy, particularly when breakfast buffet laid out in lobby!!! Room 9 is spacious with a good view but it is "tired" and will have the noise issue.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. Admittedly a lot of minor details went wrong during your stay which all mounted up to a more disappointing stay for you. In regards to maintenance we are always trying to update everything around the hotel, but as there are such a lot of things to improve we cannot do everything at once. There are plans to paint the front of the hotel for autumn for example. The Lounge is in the planning as well to be updated by the end of the year. We already redecorated the Restaurant, several function rooms as well as several bedrooms. And usually we are trying to compensate some of those short comings by giving really good service, which you can also read about in many more of the previous reviews.
Nevertheless I hope you will re-visit us again in order to see that we live up to our promises. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My friend and I recently spent a delightful day at the Saltus Spa. The facilities were excellent and the staff attentive and welcoming. The massage was one of the best I have had and the surroundings very conducive to relaxation. We could have used the gym, sauna,indoor and outdoor pool or tennis courts but were enjoying the relaxation room far too much to leave! I would strongly recommend a day at Saltus Spa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your visit to Saltus Spa at Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had such a lovely relaxed time. Thank you very much for the complimentary comments about our friendly and helpful staff. I look forward to welcoming you back to Saltus Spa and the hotel very soon. Hopefully you bring enough time next time you are visiting so you could actually enjoy all our facilities and services we offer.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was me and my 19 year old daughters first holiday together just the two of us. We had room 25 twin room with loads of room, excellent deco. Very clean and comfortable. We had a wonderful peaceful long weekend at the Balmer lawn hotel, the staff were very helpful and the food was excellent, thank you Balmer lawn you have given us fond memories for our first holiday for mother and daughter

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter on your first mother and daughter trip had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed all the facilities of the hotel. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about our great food as well as our friendly and helpful staff. I look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to the hotel in the near future.