“A great afternoon tea”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I took 6 members of the Waterside Ladies Supper Club to afternoon tea at The Balmer Lawn. The service was good, just enough, discrete and friendly. We sat in the garden on a glorious sunny Friday afternoon. It was good value for money - 3 finger sandwiches, a scone with jam and cream and a selection of other cakes for each person all for £8.50. Remember if you want more than one pot of tea (2 cups) per person it will be charged for as extra. The only down side would have been renovation noise, if we had stayed inside as originally intended, but the drilling drowned all conversation. We were lucky with the weather and could sit outside. You may want to know which part of the hotel is being refurbished when making a booking/reservation (it will be lovely once complete). We had a lovely relaxed afternoon tea (about 3.5 hours worth!).

Room Tip: Ask what renovations and where they are happening due to a current refurb project. It may be finishe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about the afternoon tea party with your ladies club at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all our great offerings with the afternoon tea and you and your party had such a relaxing time. I am slightly concerned that my bar staff was not as attentive to offer you a “little” refill for your tea but would only charge you for a full second serving. I certainly will make everyone aware of this. I also would like to apologise for the inconvenience in respect of the refurbishment work. Unfortunately this is work overrunning the scheduled time and was therefore not to be foreseen when you booked. I sincerely apologise for this having a slight effect on your enjoyment. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

great way to start the day. friends organised a trip to ascot for the day and organised to have breakfast at the Balmer Lawn before setting off. 5 gents and 9 ladies. guess how many people had the full English? its fair to say i enjoyed the buffet - lovely presentation, comprehensive all very fresh and tasty the fruit salad was all freshly chopped. The cooked breakfast was lovely and came quickly, the black pudding was particular good and it was nice to have some good old fashioned fried bread! We had organised a minibus so a glass of bucks-fizz was a nice touch.

The Balmer Lawn did us proud.

Room Tip: great table great breakfast.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your breakfast experience at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed all our great offerings at breakfast time and I hope it did set you up for a enjoyable day at the races at Royal Ascot. Many thanks for all your complimentary comments about the breakfast items as well as the special service of a bucks-fizz offering. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, maybe for more than just breakfast, very soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were a group of 12 delegates attending a work function at the hotel. Our experience with Balmer Lawn was fantastic. From the minute I called the hotel to ask for information about organising a staff seminar to the minute we check-out the hotel. Each of us were well cared, the meeting room was fresh with natural light and a lovely private terrace. The staff went an extra mile bringing tables and chairs to this area. The sales representative Shaun made sure we were fine at all times, the lunch was delicious, the staff member at the restaurant (apologies I don't remember his name) was helpful and friendly. Also the staff member who looked after the conference room and coffee/tea breaks (apologies I don't remember his name) checked the timings with me each morning, brought the coffees and cakes and lovely fruit basket on time, great presentation too. The rooms were beautiful decorated, spacious and lovely views. Reception was helpful at all times, friendly girls who booked a few taxis happily for the group and provided us towels for the swimming pool. We enjoyed the drinks at the bar late in the night, the night receptionist - bar keeper was kind and helpful.
The check-out was also smoothly and we are all looking forward to our next stay in the hotel.
I only got a feedback for improvement; the Internet speed could be faster.
It was also very helpful Shaun's recommendation to a team building activity and to put me in touch with them. He made my job easier and enjoyable.
The 2 ladies at the Spa were welcoming and did a good job too.
Many thanks for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Room 31 is very spacious and has a great balcony with beautiful views to the fields and horses
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your business visit to the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that we had the service experience just right and you and your colleagues enjoyed your time at Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear all the positive comments about all of my staff. Many thanks also for the good comments about all our facilities, the food as well as your bedrooms. I apologise for the slightly slow internet, we are investigating at the moment how we can improve the internet speed. We look forward to seeing back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Room 56 Great Family Room
We stayed in this room over the Easter period what a great find with two large double beds and a sofa bed too. The view is over the back of the Hotel which is not as nice as the front facing rooms but the flexibility that this room offered meant that as a family we were able to share the room with our three young children. The hotel has a relaxed feel about it and children are very much welcomed, with an early high tea during school holiday times we believe. The indoor and outdoor pools were a real advantage with the vagaries of the great British weather. One of the squash courts has a table tennis table in it which is good when its raining. My wife loves to keep fit and the gym although not massive has enough to have a proper work out in. Saltus Spa looks fairly new and the staff there were really exceptional, we were not expecting this when we booked so this was a real bonus, my wife and I had a joint massage in the double treatment room – a real treat! The staff are really friendly and Randy in Beresfords was a real character who clearly loved his job.

At dinner I had scallops to start and fillet steak for the main course, both were lovely but one more scallop would have been nice, or is that me just being greedy! A great choice of wines but not too pretentious like some. Over the two days breakfast was a buffet and the presentation and quality were good, although we did have to wait for more fried eggs on one occasion and you have to do your own toast (not sure about this but I guess you get it the way you like it). The Bar food is simple honest food and probably more suitable for those of us with younger kids.

Room Tip: They have many different room types so use the on line facility to choose the room you want.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon F

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your stay at Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your wife had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed all our facilities especially our fitness and spa facilities. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about the treatment in the spa as well as the special mentioning of my restaurant manager Randy, a great character. I am equally delighted to hear that you found all our food offerings very good too. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Balmer Lawn Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

after a drive through brokenhurst, we started to get peckish, so when we came across the hotel we poped in.the hotel itself is very traditional and fits the surrounding couuntryside perfectly. the staff were freindly and very attentive, our order was quick to arrive and very tasty. next time we will book a weekend break to make the most of the facilities.

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your very short visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food we offer as well as found my staff very helpful and attentive. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a longer stay in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed for two nights last week (Thursday and Friday) and with the glorious weather it was difficult to fault. The staff can't do enough to help. Booked through the hotels website and used the look before you book facility and got exactly what we expected from the pictures. The hotel is undergoing some work so there was a little noise in the daytime but I have to say it really didn't impact on our stay - even met the owner who was doing some of the refurbishments himself. We had a lovely afternoon tea in the gardens after a massage in the Spa with my partner. Had dinner both nights on the terrace (could have been abroad!!) which was great, (great steak with peppercorn sauce) and did use the restaurant for breakfast which freshly cooked to order on the Friday morning but a buffet on the Saturday (I guess that's to do with how many people are staying). Outside pool a lovely spot and really easy access to the forest from the hotel itself. Would happily recommend a stay.

Room Tip: use the look before you book facility on the website to know what you are getting as I think all the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had such a relaxing stay and enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. Thank you very much for pointing out to any future customer, that we offer an unique special feature on our website – the “Look before you book” service, where we present an honest picture of all our rooms in this feature and you can see exactly what you book. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all our great food as well as the positive comments about our spa facilities. I look forward to seeing back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a great hotel, we nearly did not come because some reviews are negative. We would have missed out, the food is fantastic the staff can't do enough for you and the room we had was very contemporary, not what we were expecting when you look at the outside. The website lets you actually choose the room you want, so you cant really go wrong. As it was Fathers Day we stayed for their jazz sunday lunch which was great - the Andy Dixens trio were real entertainers! We had a joint treatment in the spa which was very relaxing and good value. With fantastic access to the forest we were able to explore without going on any busy roads.

Room Tip: Side and front facing rooms offer the best views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had such a relaxing stay and enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. Thank you very much for pointing out to any future customer, that we offer an unique special feature on our website – the “Look before you book” service, where we present an honest picture of all our rooms in this feature and you can see exactly what you book. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all our great food as well as the Music on the Sunday for our Jazz Carvery. Unfortunately we stopped the carvery for the summer time and replaced this with a Jazz BBQ on our great terrace. The Carvery will be back at the beginning of September. Many thanks also for your positive comments about my staff; they work very hard to give good service to all customers. I look forward to seeing back to the hotel very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#3 of 7 in Lymington
New Park Manor
New Park Manor
#8 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!