“Late Lunch”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Very friendly staff in lovely surroundings, good food and reasonably priced. Will definitely go again.
We went to the Balmer Lawn after my step sons graduation for a lovely meal and a few drinks, the staff where friendly and helpful. We where also invited to sit outside after the meal to enjoy some live music.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your lunch visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed our entire food offering. I am glad that we could offer you a little extra by listening to some live music, which we keep repeating regularly. Many thanks also for your complimentary comments about our good homemade food as well as our friendly staff. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from a lovely stay at the Balmer Lawn. Booked a mid week two night stay whilst visiting family in the new Forest. Not sure if it's changed ownership but there seems to have been a lot of changes since our last stay (that was 4 years ago!). A new spa facility looked lovely but didn't get chance to use it sadly. The bedroom Room 9 was perfect on the first floor facing the cricket pitch was very comfortable. The restaurant and entrance have definitely changed for the better and the staff were so helpful right down to simple requests like extra milk and an iron in the room. Breakfast freshly cooked to order was as good as I've had. Definitely won't be leaving it another four years before we go back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The room to the front of the hotel have great views over the famous cricket pitch
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that we had the service just right and you complimented on my staff and their helpfulness. They are certainly an asset to the hotel. I am even more delighted that you found the room you booked, was just what you were looking for. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about our great breakfast food. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed on Saturday night in room 56 with our two young children this room is ideal as it has two large double beds and a sofa bed. This room is on the top floor and overlooks the rear of the hotel, the views aren't fantastic from the rear facing rooms but it doesn't really matter as there is so much to do in the hotel and surrounding area. With the younger children we decided not to eat in the main restaurant which is called Beresford but opted to eat in the lounge the food there is to a good standard and the fish and chips is to be recommended in particular. Having an indoor and outdoor pool is a real bonus with younger children as it is a great way to exhaust them and then everyone can get a great night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a lovely relaxed time and enjoyed your room as well as our leisure facilities. Many thanks also for the complimentary comments about our bar food especially the fish and chips, all is home made. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel for another relaxing stay in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel recued me from a surprise that went terribly wrong for my wife, after being let down by the Forest Park Hotel, Brockenhurst. From walking in and talking to the staff of Balmer Lawn Hotel, they just wanted to help us have a nice break in the New Forest even though they were extremely busy and full. The staff made every effort to ensure we did have somewhere to stay at very short notice, within the grounds of the hotel and use of all the facilities. We were asked if we would like to stay in the Lawn Lodge, a self catering bungalow next to the hotel, which we accepted and respected the effort they all made to help us in our situation.
It is a lovely hotel and very well managed. The food and service is excellent, both at breakfast and in the evening in the Lounge, look out for the charismatic and very pleasant barman. The cream tea is a must for any visitor. The hotel is situated a short walk from the lovely little village of Brockenhurst. Waking up to the sound of cows on the cricket pitch and horses hooves on the road was just magic. We would definitely return to this hotel and expect to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere, slow pace of life, all the wild life and of course the kindness of all the staff again. Thank you for helping us and making our stay in the New Forest the best we have ever had, turning our nightmare into a dream.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that we were able to help you at such short notice and the whole experience turned out to be a really good decision. I am even more delighted that you enjoyed all our offerings including the afternoon tea and all food was to your liking. Many thanks for your very positive comments about my very helpful and kind staff. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had a day at the spa, which was wonderful, I arrived just after 9am to get the full benefit of the use of the swimming pools, gym, etc, arrived at reception and was asked to wait for a member of the spa staff, she arrived and took me on a tour of the hotel and grounds, outdoor heated swimming pool, tennis court, spa lounge outdoor area, indoor pool, gym, hot tub and sauna.
I was given a card which allowed me use the pool,etc, and a robe and towel.
I used the gym first, although a small room as with all hotels I've visited, it had all of the equipment I use in my normal work out, at my own gym, which was great. Then I went for my treatment a back/scalp massage, lots of water and fruit, while I was waiting and the usual forms about general health. I have very bad skin on my face and scalp, so we decided against the oil on my head massage, the back massage was wonderful and very relaxing.
I then sat out in the sun, having my sorbet, which was also part of my spa day, then a quite hour, in the sunshine, then lunch.
The restaurant was nice, I was first given the menu which I think is for the bar outside area, it was fine, but not part of the day I had in mind. I was then given the restaurant menu, which was much better. A set menu, I believe £15 for two courses, but I went for the £19 three course menu, four starters to pick from, four mains, etc, with home made bread, etc. It was very good, and a glass of proseco, also part of my spa day deal. The restaurant manager looked after me himself, and took great care and attention in looking after me. I love the small things like strawberries on the priseco glass.
I never swam in the indoor pool, or sat in the hot tub or used the sauna, as there was no need, as spent the rest of the day by the pool swimming, or sunbathing. In the afternoon, the lady who ran the spa came out and asked if any of us wanted or needed anything, she arranged afternoon tea to be brought out to us, with out leaving the pool area, with an array of home made cakes, the battanburg was my favourite. She went out of her way to make sure all her lady's had the perfect day, which I thought was wonderful. I left at just on 5 pm, and had a nice chat with staff as I left, they wanted to know if i'd had a good day, etc.
I usually go to a spa which is over double the price of this one, the way I was looked after was as good and at times better than that one.
I have already started making plains for my next visit thank you for making my day perfect.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to Saltus Spa at Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that we had the whole Spa and service experience just right for you and you had such a relaxing time. I am even more delighted that you already started making plans for your return visit. Many thanks for your complimentary comments about all my staff, especially mentioning my Spa manageress. This is much appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon, hopefully with another such delightful experience.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

What can I say! An absolutely fantastic relaxing day. Welcomed by such friendly staff and given coffee then shown around the spa facilities. With a facial at 11.00 and a chocolate mocha body scrub in the afternoon the day was ours to enjoy the inside and outside heated pool, steam room and gym facilities. Not to mention the lunch and afternoon tea that was provided. I really recommend the experience of such a lovely day with lovely staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to Saltus Spa at Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that we had the whole Spa experience just right for you including all the other services you experienced in bar/ lounge. I am delighted that you commented so positively on all my staff, a great asset to the hotel. I am even more delighted that you enjoyed your treatments at the Spa. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited for Sunday Lunch and to listen to the Jazz.

Had pre lunch drinks in the bar, service good, but had to go up to order.

Lunch was excellent and had the Roast Beef and Pork, good helpings at the carver. You can order other food served at the table. Prices reasonable.

Not very large grounds and outside seating is close to its private road

Would certainly visit again soon

Room Tip: Only had Lunch
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your Sunday lunch visit to Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our offerings for Sunday Lunch Carvery very much. Unfortunately we stopped the Carvery over the summer period and replaced this with our great Jazz BBQ, maybe something to try? Apologise for the bar service: we aim to give table service if possible, unfortunately when extremely busy it does not always work. I am delighted that you enjoyed all our good food and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!