“New Forest Minimoon”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I married elsewhere in the New Forest on the Friday and last minute on Saturday decided to have a couple of days away with our 8 year old son. Despite calling at lunchtime the same day, the Balmer Lawn was able to accommodate us in a double room with separate adjoining room for our son (which he loved!)
On arrival we were met with friendly and helpful staff which we experienced throughout our 2 night stay.
We spent a lot of time in the swimming pool and even got to use the heated outdoor pool too.
The afternoon tea is delicious and would recommend. They were more than happy to change the sandwich fillings as we don't eat salmon.
I indulged in a lava shell back massage in the Saltus Spa. The ladies there were very friendly and welcoming and the therapist fully explained the treatment to me. I'd definitely recommend this and would love to return again.
Breakfast was great with a large selection on offer.
The only downside was that the air con in the room didn't work - they had supplied a portable one but it was so noisy we couldn't have it on at night. However this didn't spoil an amazing weekend that we all thoroughly enjoyed and wouldn't hesitate to return.
Thank you!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had such a good time especially so short notice and being more or less your honeymoon. Thank you very much for all your complimentary comments about all our facilities as well as all my friendly staff who really work hard to make everybody welcome. I am also delighted that enjoyed all our food offerings, especially the afternoon tea. I apologise for the small issue that we do possess air conditioning in our rooms, but this is down to building regulation restrictions. But honestly the weather in Britain does not often call for air conditionings to be used for a prolonged period. Nevertheless I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is a lovely country house hotel with a great range of rooms to choose from and a plethora of activities for the family, with two swimming pools, squash and tennis courts you don’t have to leave the hotel. It is right on the edge on the New Forest so easy to access on foot or bikes. The kids love it and therefore so do we. We choose one of the contemporary rooms on the top floor. Room 56 was perfect for us with two large double beds and a sofa bed there was stacks of room for our young family. The staff are so friendly and can’t do enough for you, the bar food is great and the restaurant food in Beresfords even better. This is a “little gem” of a hotel. Is it definitely 4* star I really don’t know what some of the reviewers are expecting, they offer a wide range of rooms at different prices, we think this is a great hotel offering good value – give it a whirl before summer is over!

Room Tip: There are lots of different room types so spend a bit of time looking at the Hotels web site and cho...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your visit to the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had such a good time with us and you enjoyed all the facilities we offer. Thank you very much for all your complimentary comments about our staff who really work hard to make everybody so very welcome. I am also delighted that enjoyed all our food offerings, bar as well as restaurant food. I am glad that you followed the advice of so many travellers before you to look at our website first to choose the right room for you. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Myself and a friend stayed at Balmer Lawn in Aug-14, the hotel is advertised as a 4star, I would say parts of the hotel you would rate as 4 star but some parts only 3 star. We stayed in a Superior twin room and I struggled to see what made it SUPERIOR, it was an average twin room, there were no bath robes provided and the bath itself was tiny, and after a hard days cycling I was looking forward to a nice long soak, but couldn't even stretch my legs!! The reception staff were fantastic, nothing seemed too much trouble. We had dinner at the hotel on the Saturday night,just ordering off the lounge bar....very nice food and good service. The location of the hotel is brilliant, with Brockenhurst Village a short walk away and the New Forest practically on your door step. You can see the hotel is very old, and it need of some updating, I wouldn't of wanted to stay there when the weather was very hot as it felt very stuffy. Overall we had a lovely time, but the price of the rooms I felt was a little overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah T

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner enjoyed our home made food as well as the service experience at the hotel. Your complimentary comments about my reception staff are very much appreciated. Unfortunately it is very difficult for me to comment on the “superior” room you stayed in, as I have no indication which of our 53 room is concerned. Some of our rooms are newly refurbished, some have a forest view. There is more than one criteria on which we base the decision on to make a room a superior room. Yet the bath is a regular sized bath and there is no difference between any of our bathrooms in the hotel. Unfortunately this seemed rather short for you which slightly dampened your impression of the hotel room. I have to admit that the missing bathrobes are unfortunately a minor service we missed and I would like to apologise for this sincerely.
As you mention that some parts of the hotel are more 3 star rated in your opinion, I would like to point out that we are improving our business through refurbishment all the time and you might have had an impression when walking through the front door. Unfortunately one is not able to do everything at once, so it still is ongoing. Nevertheless the majority of our facilities and services are of good 4 star rated qualities. I hope you might be convinced to give the Balmer Lawn Hotel another try in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Although not far off a main road it is in a reasonably quiet area deep in the New Forest. The hotel is currently undergoing some refurbishment, but this did not impede in our stay in any way. The reception area is looking a bit dated, but the reception staff were excellent, efficient and very courteous.

Some of the carpeting around the hotel could do with changing.

Our room overlooked the roof of an extension, so had a poor outlook. Some plants had been put there to soften the roof, but unfortunately they were in the death throws through lack of attention !!

The bed seemed very hard, but actually delivered quite a good nights sleep. Sleep was only disturbed by some seagulls at an unreasonable hour. The shower head was a bit clogged and as a result the water delivery was not 100%. The bath was also rather small. They would have been better off putting in a walk in shower cubicle instead.

In the room the chair was too big for the desk, so it stuck out into the room (a minor point, but one that should easily have been corrected).

Breakfast was an open buffet style with a good range of items and other items that could be ordered for you. We were shown our table and asked what beverage we required, but the beverage only came after asking where it was !! On another table a man was told that they would take his order in a moment, but they never returned to him. Maybe he is still there !!

We were told that breakfast was £10 each, but were actually charged £12.50.

In the car park, the shrubbery had grown a bit tall and just about covered the disabled bay signage.

For kids (big or small), there is a small river (River Lymington) nearby with a grassed area just across the road from the hotel.

Room Tip: Cannot help you with that one. Get there early I guess and if you do not like the room ask what othe...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RucksackKent
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner in general had a good time at the hotel. As you mentioned in your review, we are in the process of refurbishment all the time. Unfortunately we have to be selective where and when we can do the upgrading. Therefore I do agree with you in respect of the carpet issue. Sadly there is not a lot we can do with the arrangement of the rooms overall, some of them will look out over roof tops, others have the forest view. The issue with the bath is difficult to answer as the bath is of a standard size. I apologise that we missed the issue with the shower, but I am delighted that all my staff were courteous and helpful to make up for minor problems.
Apologise again for the minor problem of your breakfast beverage arriving late as well as the misinformation about the price. I hope you did still enjoy the whole of your breakfast overall. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to prove that all these minor issues you experienced were only of momentary nature. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Balmer Lawn Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Whoever owns this hotel is lucky. Lucky because it is a four starred AA hotel which would normally imply a certain standard and level of luxury. I do not know when these stars were awarded or indeed how often they are updated or reviewed. Maybe criteria differs in different parts of the country. It certainly differs in different countries. Fortunate enough to have spent a fair amount of time in the Far East where 4 star hotels bear little resemblance to Balmer Lawn.
Aesthetically, the building is horrendous, a mix of add ons, extensions, repairs, glass balustrades, bricks, stone, plastic, old, modern, mismatched furnishings probably job lots from auction houses. As I was checking in a rather irate lady, expensively clad approached reception and exclaimed in a rather hoighty toighty fashion 'there are several items that are missing from my room' "yes madam" says reception, "and what may these be?" replies lady 'air conditioner, mini bar, bath robes,' Being a very warm summers day, the reply was 'we will put a fan in your room and why would you want a mini bar in your room?' I will not repeat what the smart lady replies.
And off we go to 4* room lugging our luggage along. A large room with said brown furniture, (bed side light not working) antique (old) floor standing fan creaking. The room was clean as was the bathroom which had the cheapest sanitary ware I have come across in a long while. There were a couple of patched up holes and a broken tile or two which were also very clean.The view was great if you like looking at roofs and the external paintwork on practically all the window/door frames and sills were bare, blistered and in a very sad way needing attention and gasping for paint.
So why lucky owners? Well to have four stars, I can only attribute this to the staff. Good looking, friendly, efficient, helpful, they were charming and clean. They were also always cleaning and busy and not just standing around chatting or being idle. Supervisors and soldiers, they were working and attentive, polite and charming.
The food was also most competently executed. Simple, basic but freshly cooked and generous quantities to boot. They say it is lucky to catch a falling star. Here they 'caught' four. Very lucky.
Oh, did I mention, must have been served, met, spoken to, dealt with from reception to leaving the Frankenstein building to about twenty staff. Each and every one was Eastern European.
'Save them for a rainy day.'

'

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank evereadyeddy
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review about your stay at Frankenstein Building, what we call the Balmer Lawn Hotel. As a well-travelled person you are probably aware that rating systems are different between various countries. If you would have looked around in our lounge you would have seen pictures of the hotel, how it build up the place it is today. You will find this quite often in Britain that hotels originally started off as normal houses and then were extended and extended again, trying to keep the charming old English character. Now if you travel to the Far East their philosophy is to start from the ground and build a completely new hotel building. Whilst doing this you would expect all modern commodities immediately implemented. Obviously a lot of older buildings in England are protected because of the history and heritage we have here, which you will not find in the Far East. In this respect it is difficult to adapt older places with modern equipment. Also if you live in England, you will know, that our weather is a “little” different to the weather in the Far East. We enjoy mostly 2-3 weeks of really warm weather in the year. So it is very difficult for me to follow your outcry after an air conditioning.
I am delighted that you appreciated all my staff and their attentiveness, although, if you would have looked closer, some are Portuguese or German, which to my knowledge is not at all eastern European. As a “well-travelled” person I would think you might be able to distinguish.
As you thought, we were lucky to catch fallen “four” stars, aren’t we lucky to have such nice customer to remind us of this occasionally. Many thanks again for your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Balmer Lawn Hotel in the future when you might be in need of some old English charm.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel in the heart of the New Forest with 2 great swimming pools and nice rooms. Two negatives to watch out for:
-seem to be a great wedding venue on a Saturday night which when we were there brought with it loud drunken behaviour, not great for a good nights sleep especially when it wakes your kids up. The staff were disinterested in dealing with the complaint and just said " that will be the wedding"
-food is average at best, looks good but not much flavour. We noted a lot of people going out for dinner and realised why afterwards.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane J
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were so disappointed about your stay. I do not agree about the way, you describe my staff, as a lot of review before you will prove that all my staff is very attentive, friendly and polite. As in all bigger hotels wedding functions are part of the daily operations and we are no exceptions. Yet should we be aware of noise disturbances from wedding guests to other customer of the hotel, we will take steps to make customer aware of this. Unfortunately on the weekend you were staying we had no reports from any guests including you during the later hours to say that they are disturbed by other customer. Therefore we would not have known about the noise disturbance. I am also disappointed that you found our food only average. We have a great kitchen team which work very hard to satisfy all customer taste buds. And I have to say again that should somebody make us aware of some shortcomings, we will immediately try to rectify. Unfortunately this report is the first time we were notified by you about this issue. Finally I believe that we have dealt with your complaint sufficiently and you had a refund as a small token of our apology. I hope you might give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I just want to thank Balmer Lawn for our amazing wedding on the 12th July. The staff were amazing, so friendly and we really want to thank Jamie Wigmore. He is a real asset to Balmer Lawn and did a wonderful job making our guests feel welcome and catering for our every need. Jamie was great and did his utmost to make the day run smoothly and we can't thank him enough. Thank you to all the staff at Balmer Lawn. I highly recommend this hotel to stay at, the warmth from the staff, the wonderful food and the tranquil atmosphere. A perfect place for a break away. You won't be disappointed :-)

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on your Wedding function at the Balmer Lawn. I am delighted to hear that we had the service experience for your whole function right and as you expected. Thank you very much for all the positive words for all my staff especially mentioning Jamie, who is a great asset to the hotel, as well as the food and all facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon and maybe for your first anniversary as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!