“Relaxed and welcoming 4 star hotel”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic nights sleep. The superior room was spacious, comfortable and very clean.
Breakfast was beautifully cooked.
We also enjoyed a couple of swims in the heated pool and a game of tennis.
This is a grand hotel but not too stuffy. The staff were personable and helpful.
Loved it!

1  Thank Lynda R
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Lynda
What can I say - a simply brilliant review. It is positive comments like yours that make the job totally worthwhile. Our aim is to offer good service in a relaxed manner. All the team will have an extra spring in their step once they have seen your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,725)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Having just returned from this fantastic hotel I feel compelled to write with my experience. There were five of us in total and we didn’t fancy sharing rooms so opted to book the basic “budget rooms”, yes in most cases they are quite small and not to the same standards are the other rooms but at £99 as they say “you get what you pay for”. With all the other facilities the hotel had to offer we had a great time with some serious cycling during the day and some great food and a “few beers” in the evening. The outdoor pool and sauna were a great way to ease the aching legs at the end of the day. The location is absolutely ideal for exploring the New Forest, although it is just off the A337 that is the last “A” you ever have to take, it is possible to explore most of the forest on quiet lanes and “B” roads, great for the scenery and safety! We loved this hotel and this cycling challenge will now be an annual event. They have garages so the bikes can be locked up overnight which is another real bonus. If you want the facilities without breaking the bank “Go Budget”.

Dear Chinner
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are a very popular location for cyclists and walkers wanting to enjoy the New Forest. I was really pleased that you took your time to explore our website fully as we do have a range of room types and budgets to suit everyone, our "Room Chooser" facility is there so that you can actually see the room you are booking so there are no surprises. We hope that you and your friends will return soon to explore more of the area!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Fantastic value for £9.95. You are served with prawns on a skewer, a sausage, chicken leg and burger. You then help yourself to burger bun, long roll for sausage along with a varied choice of salad.Nice ambience sitting outside on the terrace area with the jazz providing music.Staff were very helpful and always nearby should you require anything. Good choice of coffee's. I had the Mocca and it was excellent. Great value for £2.95. Dogs are permitted and the hotel is a great base for a long walk afterwards!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank milliefan
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Milliefan
We really appreciate you taking the time to tell everyone about our fabulous Summer BBQ, this is running right through to Sunday 28th September. It is true to say that some are quick to criticise and therefore your positive comments are greatly appreciated. The staff work extremely hard to please and post such as yours mean a great deal to the entire team. Thank You.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Booked here for our first wedding anniversary smashing foyer area and spa . We booked spa treatments and could not fault them at all . After treatments we checked in to our room very basic not even a safe, old furniture in a room that's meant to be modern and contemporary it was clean though or so we thought until we filled the bath yellow/orange water and lots of bits in bath after filling turns out it was rust yes it's an old building but if you have rust in your pipes you need to clean system through or change your pipe work had this not been noticed because people only shower or is room not used very often . Manager was very sorry and offered to find us an alternative hotel we had already sourced our own. Personally I would not class the whole hotel as 4 star if your not to fussy and don't mind washing in rust then book a room if not then find an alternative.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin H

Thank you for choosing the hotel to celebrate your anniversary and for your positive comments about the Saltus Spa and the Reception area of the hotel.
You are right that we do not currently provide “in-room” safes and this is something that we review from time to time. From speaking to fellow hoteliers they often comment that they cause a lot of problems with guests forgetting their codes or miss-placing the key’s etc. We do however offer to put any valuables in a tamper proof “cash bag” and store this in the main safe, this is noted as a service in our room information folder but I do understand that some guests would want the ability to use a small safe in their rooms.
Regarding the "rusty water" I can only apologise for this, it was a result of a bust water main (not on the premises) and this caused some dirty water to get into the incoming mains supply to the hotel. Although not a risk I agree that it would not have been pleasant to run a bath and have rusty looking water come out. I can only apologise for this and we have undertaken a comprehensive flush through of the entire water system.
It is a shame that you did not continue your stay with us and I am genuinely sorry that something out of our direct control caused you so much distress, but I am not sure why you felt it necessary to advise potential future customers to go elsewhere, this seems disproportionate and harsh given the circumstances, but this is a review site and this is your view.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

So here we have a four star hotel because it apparently meets the criteria, how I do not know three would be generous.
The room (room 3) was adequate but for a supposedly "superior" room gave little evidence of being such. As had been noted in another review the chair accompanying the desk was too wide and thus encroached on the limited room space, a tub chair was tucked in the corner but, in my world, a superior room should offer comfortable seating for both occupants. The bed, which seemed to have a "memory foam" mattress had seen better days as it was soft and tended to encourage the occupant to roll out of it! The bathroom was ok but the sanitary fittings were of poor quality and the was no toilet roll holder the only provision being a floor standing device normally provided to keep spare rolls on. No bathrobes were provided which, being a premises that offers spa and swimming facilities, was surprising to say the least.
The Beresford Restaurant , which promises "fine dining" had delusions of grandeur with the food being a disappointment to say the least. As a vegetarian I am sick and tired of the contemptuous way in which catering establishments treat us, whatever chefs may think a "shallot tart" does not offer a balanced diet and at the price charged I expect it to be accompanied by a bit more than a scattering of pea shoots. My wife had similarly extortionately priced fish, I've seen more fish in a fish finger! As for the desert the "white chocolate mousse" became a chocolate mousse which according to the restaurant manager was "chocolate and orange mousse". I beg to differ, there would have been more orange in a shepherds pie. Fortunately we didn't receive the oily sycophancy from him as the other customer's did nor were we asked how our main course was whilst we were eating it ( four minute warning I believe it's known as in the trade!)
On the positive side the reception, bar and serving staff were polite and courteous the breakfast was good and the plates were hot.
One final note, I have stayed in many hotels and this is the first one I have found that charges corkage if you bring your own wine in! (I didn't BTW)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spanglerokapi

Thank you for your review of the hotel. Clearly your view on the rating of the hotel is subjective and you are entitled to express your opinion. However, we obtained our four star rating in 2008 following considerable investment and upgrading to the bedroom stock. Since then we have passed our annual rating inspection every year with flying colours and have improved the service and quality score on each and every inspection.
I agree that room 3 is on the small side, but it has been completely refurbished and is maintained to a very good decorative order. Although the chair provided for the dressing table does not fit in the space provided this does not in any way impede the use of the dressing table. We provide two chairs for use of our clients but in reality most people would probably lay on the bed to watch the television, read or relax and this is probably why this has not been mentioned before. I cannot agree with you that the mattress “had seen better days…”, this bed and mattress were purchased about 4 years ago, the mattress is pocket sprung and a good quality, I have personally been to inspect and lay on it and it does not “encourage the occupant to roll out of it”, however, I believe it is too soft and for this reason it will be replaced with a firmer one, this has been ordered today. Again having inspected the sanitary ware for myself there is absolutely nothing to warrant your comment that they were “poor quality” – the bath is a steel bath without any chips or marks of any sort and the sink and toilet are also in good condition. You are right that there is no toilet roll holder fitted to the wall and we will rectify this.
There are many hotels with spa’s and swimming pool that do not offer bath robes as standard, as much as we would like to provide this service it is just not economically or commercially viable at the competitive rates we charge. We do have robes available at a small additional cost.
I am sorry that you did not find our choice of vegetarian options interesting or desirable, but why use a phrase like “delusions of grandeur”, we are not pretentious or precious about our product offering, we have only recently completely refurbished the restaurant and the feedback has been really positive, the food is intended to be good quality, locally sourced and freshly prepared, we offer a range of fish dishes to cater for those who do not wish to eat meat or poultry. If you would like to contact me directly I would like to know in more detail why you seem so animated about the menu selection and the price. You seem to have contempt for staff working in the Restaurant business that I have not really experienced before, why describe someone simply doing their job being as “Fortunately we did not receive the oily sycophancy from him as the other customers did”.
You may indeed stay in many hotels and am therefore astonished that you have not been aware that corkage is charged if you bring you own wine into the premises (with the aim of consuming it), nearly all premises and businesses that provide food and drink would either prevent you from consuming food and drink items that have not been provided by them or seek to charge corkage in the case of wine or champagne.
To end on a positive thank you for your comments about breakfast service and the quality and approach of our service and bar staff.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Nice clean rooms, friendly attentive staff restaurant absolutely amazing the food was most certainly the best I've eaten in a long time! Except the breakfast it was a bit dried out (at 7 am) otherwise had a nice time!

1  Thank nonnie23
HolmWick, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review about your visit to the Balmer Lawn Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and commented positively on all my staff, the great food as well as our bedrooms. I apologise for the slip up at breakfast time. I certainly will investigate why some food was looking dried out so early in the morning. I hope you will forgive us this minor issue. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have just returned from a family weekend that the Balmer Lawn. We had a great time despite the good old British weather! Using their on-line booking facility, we opted for Room 54 at £239 this was a lovely side facing room overlooking the forest and with a sofa bed, ideal for our younger children. The In-Laws decided to “splash out “and opted for Room 27 – at £349, well worth it if budget is not a problem, with a separate lounge this was a spacious suite that we could all hang out in. The kids loved the pools (indoor and outdoor) and I was able to beat the father-in-law at table tennis – a real bonus!! The food is great from the afternoon cream tea in the lounge bar or typical bar food or if you want to treat yourself in Beresford’s restaurant. We had no idea before arriving, the role the hotel played in both the 1st and 2nd World Wars, some real history here and I think the hotel could do a better job at promoting this within the hotel, it is there but you have to search for it in the room folder. All the staff were really friendly and can’t seem to do enough for you but even better that that they really seem to enjoy working there. This is a great family friendly hotel offering a relaxed and at the same time a quality offering. Don't miss out treat yourselves!

Room Tip: Use the "Look Before You Book" thing on their website, you can see all the rooms of the ho...