“Above Average”
Review of Balmer Lawn

Balmer Lawn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Our evening meal in the restaurant was good and the sevice was excellent. However I have to agree with other reviews, the rooms are decidedly tatty (for the money). Breakfast was very busy and I had to wait a long time for bacon, but I would like to add that we thought the the staff were very helpful and freindly towards the children. The location is brilliant, there is a lot to commend this hotel on, I would go again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Chris W, Owner at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

Dear TheSouthGeorge

Your post was made a long time ago, I am very sorry that we did not manage our TripAdvisor listings then like we do now and this is why we did not reply to you post at the time. Please accept our apologies for this.

In the intervening years we have invested heavily in the Hotel and massively improved all of the facilities with the addition of the Saltus Spa and an award winning restaurant producing some of the best food in the New Forest in a relaxed but professional environment in our Beresford’s Restaurant.

All of our six function rooms have been completely refurbished and offer free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and access to external gardens.

All the bedroom corridors and our Grand Staircase have been fully refurbished and re carpeted as have many of our bedrooms.

Whether or not you had a good or bad experience at the time of your last visit I would urge you to come and see us again, I am confident to say that you will not recognise either the physical product or the standards of service across the board.

What hasn’t changed is the iconic look of the building and the unrivalled location of the Hotel right in the heart of the New Forest National Park offering direct forest access.
We have a wide variety of room types and prices to suit all budgets, these can all be viewed using our unique “Choose Your Room” facility on our website. Please remember to book directly with the Hotel for the best value rates and room allocations. Some believe that they will get the best rates from third party sites, this is simply not true in our case, we have to pay up to 25% commission to the third parties and would much prefer to offer clients who book directly with us the best available rates.

We very much hope that you will come and see us again after all these years have passed.

Chris

Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)

Reviewed 17 September 2009

I recently organised a Golden Wedding party for my in-laws at the Balmer Lawn. We were impressed by the high standard of service and organisation from the initial enquiry until check-out and yet there was a very relaxed feel about the hotel. The events co-ordinator Gemma was highly organised, communicative, helpful and everything went to plan seamlessly, which, when you live 250 miles away and have never been to the hotel is an added bonus!

We held our function in the Savernake room - which was perfect and as we were lucky to have a rare sunny day we were able to use the room's outside terrace/decking for our reception drinks. The meal was delicious and the service unobtrusive and efficient.

Most of the family stayed at the hotel. The bedrooms were very clean and comfortable. We had booked a standard double room (no forest view) but when we checked in had a twin forest view room. The hotel was full and as it was only for one night we chose not to ask to change for a double, especially as we had a lovely forest view. The bathroom was very modern and clean with large towels. My only complaint was that there was only one small shower gel for the two of us. I don't understand why hotels scrimp on items like this when you are paying £140 per night.

The breakfast menu was excellent - my only complaint is that they did not serve tea and coffee in a pot - it was a self-serve system by the cup and I need several cups of steaming tea in the morning to get me going, so would have preferred a pot.

The location is superb with trails into the forest on the doorstep. My husband and I did a couple of runs into the forest and could have gone for miles if we'd had more time. Unfortunately we did not have time to use more of the hotel's leisure facilities.

I would definately consider going back to the Balmer Lawn. It is a shame we did not have more time there.

Dear DottyUK

Reviewed 8 September 2009

We just stayed for 1 night, service was very good and staff were great. Rooms as per other reviews were tatty, bathrooms old and tired. Breakfast very average. I booked using Late rooms and the main issue I had with the hotel is that they took £80 from my credit card without authorisation. This happened when I made the booking through Late rooms and there was no confirmation of this. I checked with late rooms and they siad it was not them and agreed that there was no wording stating this £80 deposit. I then checked with the hotel and they were not sure....after emailing them i had no response, is annoying when this happens, long story but in the end our room was upgraded and they have spoken to Late rooms to update thier wording ref the £80 deposit. Apart from this deposit issue i would only rate the hotel as 3* - rooms and breakfast were not great

Dear Oldsurfer

Reviewed 7 September 2009

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday for one night. I paid a lot more than I would have liked for the hotel (although to be fair it seemed to be the most reasonably priced hotel in Brockenhurst), and as the hotel is classed as 4 star I was hoping for a really luxurious stay.

Unfortunately I was disappointed. The hotel is pleasant enough, but not what I would expect from the price tag and the classification.

As other people have mentioned in their reviews, the décor in our room was tired and mismatched – the wallpaper was peeling, and everything looked a bit old and saggy. The TV reception was truly awful – we could barely get the main terrestrial channels, yet we were meant to be able to get Freeview. We had a view of the forest…if you ignored the dirty old roof immediately in view, and there was some kind of fan outside which made noise all night.

I was also very disappointed that when we asked to hire bikes (which is advertised on the website and at reception) the receptionist looked surprised and said she would have to order them in. We waited around for about 15 minutes for her to ring up whichever company supply the bikes to be told that there weren’t any available. Although it was a Saturday and we didn’t know to prebook, I just felt that she could have been far more helpful in directing us to another way of hiring bikes (we didn’t have a car so it was a bit inconvenient to walk all the way back to the village to hire them).

None of the above would have mattered if I hadn’t paid so much for the room, I’m really not normally picky at all. But considering that I was expecting a really nice luxurious stay, I was disappointed that the hotel wasn’t better.

There are good points – for example, the location is superb – right in the forest with ponies grazing outside, the leisure suite is nice, the breakfast is good and the double bed we had was massive and really comfy.

So overall, the hotel is fine, but definitely overpriced so I would probably book a guesthouse instead if I stayed in Brockenhurst again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Gazelle1

Reviewed 7 September 2009

May I thank you for a most enjoyable stay earlier this week.
Your hotel was beyond our expectations in all areas of service.
In particular I would like to thank Stephen from the bar and Patrice in the restaurant.
The food was of an excellent standard, its nice to have freshly prepared local produce cooked and served immediately. These days its all too easy to deliver the usual dishes of pies and pre cooked food which does not show the true quality of local produce.
Well done to the chef!

Many thanks!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Dear Gorset

Reviewed 27 August 2009

Having had a thoroughly pampered and restful stay we cannot commend this hotel highly enough. The service was outstanding - our every need was met promptly & with old fashioned values (having stayed with many chains this type of service is no longer found.) Also Balmer Lawn is ideally situated for the New Forest and South Coast. The food at the hotel was well cooked and locally sourced and the breakfasts were to die for with an amazing variety of options and cooked to order. The only slight negative was the decor which looked a little tired as a first impression but let us assure you that view will disappear after just a few minutes as the hotel is very comfortable with lots of history and wonderful facilities. My wife had a massage as well and as an experienced receiver of massages she said it was the best massage.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear 2KittensBucks

Reviewed 16 August 2009

The reviews on this site offer an unbalanced view of the Balmer Lawn - it's neither disgusting or exquisite. It's a middle of the road hotel - that is slightly overpriced.

We stayed for three nights in a room without a view and with aged decor. But it was clean and comfortable. We saw into some of the other rooms and they had a more modern, luxury look.

Downstairs the hotel is smart with a nice bar area and restaurant. The restaurant prices were too expensive for us for dinner so we went elsewhere. Breakfast was excellent with good service. Staff overall were friendly and helpful.

The pool was small but quiet and had a jacuzzi and steam room. There are squash courts and a small gym that are free to use.

The location is good, with new forest ponies grazing outside. We had an enjoyable break in the new forest and if the room was more up to date or the prices lower I would feel able to recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear HazedTaunton

Chris

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!