Balmer Lawn
Rhinefield House Hotel(Brockenhurst)
US$239
US$231
  • Breakfast included
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
US$121
Forest Park Hotel(Brockenhurst)
Passford House(Lymington)
  • Breakfast included
1,802 results
All reviewsberesfords restaurantsaltus spathird floornew forestjacuzzi and saunasuperior roomindoor and outdoor poolsleisure facilitiescomplimentary upgradeafternoon teaforest viewlovely hotelfour posterlounge areaspa treatmentsfamily roomrestaurant manager
Reviewed 13 November 2009

We held my 50th Birthday Party in the Savernake Room at Balmer Lawn - 30 plus people of all ages (friends and family). Approx 20 people also stayed the night. From start to finish the staff at Balmer Lawn made it really easy for us - very accommodating, flexible and willing to do whatever we needed. Great service, close attention by all staff, lovely dining party room. Food and wine was excellent as always (we have eaten in the restaurant 2 or 3 times previously - always lovely) and every one had a great time. Special thanks to Gemma/Helen for helping us organise everything and to Peter and his team for looking after us all night (and again for a lovely breakfast the next morning). Our room (no 27) was superb - contemporary 4 poster, amazing bathroom, separate dressing room...large TV, excellent sound system, etc, etc - fantastic. We also all met up for a swim in the indoor pool and enjoyed a very hot jacuzzi!
I cannot praise this hotel enough - 4 star quality with a luxuriously relaxed atmosphere. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: November 2009
Chris W, Owner at Balmer Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

Dear PSB1959

Your post was made a long time ago, I am very sorry that we did not manage our TripAdvisor listings then like we do now and this is why we did not reply to you post at the time. Please accept our apologies for this.

In the intervening years we have invested heavily in the Hotel and massively improved all of the facilities with the addition of the Saltus Spa and an award winning restaurant producing some of the best food in the New Forest in a relaxed but professional environment in our Beresford’s Restaurant.

All of our six function rooms have been completely refurbished and offer free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and access to external gardens.

All the bedroom corridors and our Grand Staircase have been fully refurbished and re carpeted as have many of our bedrooms.

Whether or not you had a good or bad experience at the time of your last visit I would urge you to come and see us again, I am confident to say that you will not recognise either the physical product or the standards of service across the board.
What hasn’t changed is the iconic look of the building and the unrivalled location of the Hotel right in the heart of the New Forest National Park offering direct forest access.

We have a wide variety of room types and prices to suit all budgets, these can all be viewed using our unique “Choose Your Room” facility on our website.

Please remember to book directly with the Hotel for the best value rates and room allocations. Some believe that they will get the best rates from third party sites, this is simply not true in our case, we have to pay up to 25% commission to the third parties and would much prefer to offer clients who book directly with us the best available rates.

We very much hope that you will come and see us again after all these years have passed.

Reviewed 9 November 2009

Decided to visit this hotel on a whim, and the manager dropped the rack rate by a third within a minute of being on the phone as there was no way we would pay the extortionate rack rate . The staff were really friendly and helpful but the hotel does appear to be quite run down. I admittedly was miffed as I dislike intensely being sold a double room and arrive to find twin beds pushed together. The forest views are lovely and the hotel does have some character to it, the outdoor dining area would probably be a great experience in the summer. The location is good, if you don't want to eat in the restaurant there are some lovely country pubs a few minutes down the road. However, I was surprised that this hotel was 4*, I think it may have been once upon a time, but am not sure it warrants the rating currently. The New Forest has plenty of more honestly priced accommodation and we will probably look at these in future rather than return to what felt like an average hotel priced above the average.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Lue_P

Reviewed 2 November 2009

Just got back from a 2 night weekend break at Balmer Lawn and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the rooms. This was our first weekend away together and my new boyfriend paid £215 per night for a four poster bedroom to make it extra special...I didn't want to complain much for not to upset him but he was very disappointed too:( It is extremely expensive for what it is! Rooms are tiny, very dated; the decor is awful, I stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels in the UK and all around the world and this hotel should have a max of 2 stars! For £215 a night, you can stay at a fantastic, hotel with all the luxuries.. The "Leisure Club" was a joke with a tiny jacuzzi which looked like it hadn't been cleaned for 6 months, a useless pool which is too shallow. The only saving grace was the staff who were very helpful and nice. I would not recommend this hotel at all! it's crying out for refurbishment!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear mrssweet

Reviewed 26 October 2009

Positives; Nice location and ideal for getting into the forest, friendly staff.
Negatives; Tired bedroom and public rooms, the whole feel is a hotel that is tired and should not be 4 star, I am not a snob but having stayed in number of nice hotels I have been in better 2 star ones, room was over priced, we were in the 'honeymoon room' and it was really dissapointing. Not worth the price at all. Spa was really a tiny jacuzzi, sauna and a fairly useless pool, odd shaped and too shallow. Public areas small and food was ok but nothing special. I suggest you look elsewhere or negotiate a good deal....

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Spawns

Reviewed 24 October 2009

This was my second stay at the Balmer Lawn. Previously, I stayed in a ‘Four Poster’ room but took my chances and booked a standard double and wish I hadn’t. If you’re going to stay at this hotel, I wouldn’t recommend the standard rooms as the room and bed sizes are far too small considering the 4 star status. Go for one of the bigger rooms so you won’t be disappointed.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, staff are friendly, the rooms are clean. The booking the hotel was a little confused. I booked with the hotel by phone stating I would call later in the week to reserve my table in the restaurant, doing so, only to arrive to find out they didn’t have my booking to stay that evening.

Eating in the restaurant was a mixed affair. The ingredients used were bold but the menu lacked depth – especially when a number of seasonal meats were absent from the list. The starter of terrine of sardines was divine. The main however was a different affair. After being told by the maître d' that their beef supplier had just gained a contract with a prestigious London restaurant, I decided to opt for the slow cooked beef. What was presented was a tough, overcooked piece of meat which didn’t resemble anything I ordered. The saving grace of the meal however was the pudding. The restaurant service couldn’t be faulted. The bar staff were friendly and attentive.

Breakfast in the morning was the typical buffet affair. I wouldn’t recommend ordering anything off the menu unless you’re prepared for a wait.

I enjoy staying at the Balmer Lawn, the location is fantastic especially in the Autumn. Previous attempts at the restaurant have been favourable; maybe I was unlucky this time round.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends