“Great eggs but tip in cash!”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 2 September 2011

After reading the fabulous reviews for The Pig in the national press, my wife and I were really looking forward to our meal there last week and we weren't disappointed. Not only is the food wonderful, the decor and service we received also deserve a mention. The restaurant and bar look fantastic - very shabby chic - and the staff were lovely too. On several occasions we enquired about the provenance of items on the menu (they're very big on sourcing local ingredients) and every time our waiter either knew the answer or promptly spoke to the chef to find out for us. If you go, be sure to try their 'piggy bits' - we had the Brock Eggs, little scotch-style quails eggs - delicious. We couldn't fault our risotto or scallops either. Simply presented, tasted great. There is only one downside to The Pig and that's the automatic 12.5% service charge on our bill - I was more than happy to pay this as I felt the service had been perfect but when I asked our waiter about the tipping policy at the restaurant, he told me that it doesnt go to the staff - I understand this is becoming standard practice at more and more places but having worked in the restaurant industry myself, I do feel this is somewhat unjust. However, when I asked that the service charge be removed so I could leave a cash gratuity (this does go to the staff), this wasn't a problem. All in all a great experience.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mike R
victoria_gibbs, Marketing Assistant at The Pig, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Hi Mike, thanks for taking your time to review us, it is extremely helpful to us to get guests feedback so that we can ensure we are doing our best! i'm glad you had such an enjoyable meal with us and that you enjoyed the extremely popular Brock Eggs! I will be sure to pass on your comments with regards to the service charge for review.
Victoria

Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We visited The Pig for dinner to celebrate our anniversary. We were also keen to stay, but were only in the area for one evening and were told there was a minimum two night booking, which was a shame. The location and surroundings on arrival were impressive and we were shown to the fantastic bar area for a drink before dinner. However, unfortunately the service at dinner didn’t match our high first impressions.

We were shown to our table which not only was very close to the surrounding tables, but was tiny, which was disappointing especially taking into account we had booked a month in advance. It struggled to accommodate our order and we were left to try and rearrange the crowded table ourselves. It was also very dark making it barely possible to see our dinner, the lights around us were completely hidden by plants. We sat for a very long time being what we felt was completely ignored by the numerous waiters buzzing around the restaurant before our order was taken. We had still not ordered any wine, or indeed been given a wine list despite numerous requests, by the time our starters arrived. We eventually received our wine after we had started our mains. I asked for clarification that there were no ‘nuts’ in my dessert due to an allergy, but it took 3 waiters to get back to me.

Overall the whole impression was one that our evening was rushed and that the waiters weren’t attentive. We actually thought there were far too many staff in the restaurant which we felt contributed to the disjointed service we received. With it being our anniversary and paying over #50 a head, we were disappointed, having had high hopes upon booking and on arrival. Great location and decor, but service needs to be improved.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bradshawlynne

Thank you for taking your time to review us here at The Pig. I am sorry that you seemed to have a variety of problems with your evening meal with us. We are always trying to improve on our services, so we will be sure to take your comments onboard in order to help ensure this changes for the better in the future.
Victoria

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I really cannot praise 'The Pig' highly enough. My family (myself, my wife and two children aged 8 and 11) stayed for three nights and were made to feel so welcome, it really felt as if we were staying with friends - albeit friends who waited on us hand and foot and cooked much, much better than anyone we might normally spend the weekend with! My daughter has been quite ill recently and this was our first trip away with her and so we arrived with some trepidation but we couldn't have chosen a better place. Nothing was too much bother, not only were the service and the food impeccable but they managed to deliver both with great charm and a friendliness that made us feel incredibly relaxed from the moment we walked through the door. It has such a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere that before our three nights were over we had already booked for a further three nights over Christmas. The rooms were very comfortable, the beds soft, the pillows luxurious and the showers huge. Most importantly the staff really seemed to enjoy their work and as a result created a very happy atmosphere - so... go there for the food, go there for the rooms, go there for the ambience, go there to relax and enjoy... but just go there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
victoria_gibbs, Marketing Assistant at The Pig, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you so much for your review Damon, I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay with us when you came with your wife and children. It's always good to get feedback, and especially nice to receive really positive comments about every aspect of your stay. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to everyone here at The Pig and we look forward to seeing you over Christmas.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stumbled across the Pig on the drive back to our Hotel and decided to treat ourselves and our incredibly well behaved girls to Dinner. We hadn't booked and upon our arrival at 745pm were told "sorry they were fully booked in the Restaurant that evening". However as we were leaving my Husband asked one of the team if she could recommend somewhere locally and fantastically she agreed that we could eat outside from the light bites menu.

This actually was perfect for us as we had the entire space to ourselves and indeed had the best seat right next to an enormous open fire which my Husband was more than happy to attend too! We felt like we were at home in our own garden with stunning Agapathus surrounding this intermet courtyard.

We had all of the light bites ranging from Brock Eggs, Potted Brawn and Hampshire Chorizo & mixed Olives they were amazingly delicious. The staff were geniunely welcoming (despite the initial "no we are full" we received from the Receptionist) and keen to tell us about the rooms and gardens. We fell in love with the Pig and have vowed to re-visit next time to stay - The huge tree seat at the side of the gorgeous building ended our night in fits of giggles an awesome find for sure!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
victoria_gibbs, Marketing Assistant at The Pig, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

I'm really glad we could accomodate you in our courtyard in the end and I'm glad the evening turned out to be such a success for both you and your family. As we have only been open a month we have been extremely full in the restaurant and I hope that when you return we will be able to offer you a table so you can experience the rest of the menu! The big swing has already been a great success amongst many visitors so we're glad you found it too. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

We went to The Pig with high hopes of finding somewhere to host our wedding. Instead we were left disappointed beyond words when their policy was changed and all that we were told on the day was taken back. We left The Pig happy that we would be having our wedding day there. A week later we were informed in a two line email that no wedding bookings would be possible for us. This again was contradicted by the Director of the Hotel. Bottom line, we had been told before, was unless your custom generates good PR, The Pig does not have any interest in hosting parties. So why offer it? Well, if you're a celebrity, you are welcome there, or at Lime Wood, with open arms. So if you're just an average couple, with money to spend, you should feel very privileged if they let you in, let alone let you stay. Disgusted. Shocked. Aggravated. But ultimately not surprised. It's the Emperor's new ham

15  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Wow... The Pig is a real gem nestled in the heart of the New Forest. I booked a table for my girlfriends birthday dinner hoping for something special, and special it was!

As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by one of the excellent members of staff and shown straight to our table. The staff uniform is something to note in itself, all of them incredibly smart, with converse trainers - very cool!

The restaurant is stunning. Shabby chic it truely is, oozing quirks from floor to ceiling. The current photos on here don't do it any justice. My only disappointment was that we were shown to the smallest table of two, very close to the surrounding tables. So much so, that on a few occasions the staff bumped into our chairs. Not ideal when paying £50+ a head, but the staff were very apologetic.

Anyway, that aside the evening was faultless. Each course beautifully presented and incredibly tasty. I'm sure I could pick anything on the menu and not be dissatisfied. My tip - go for the Mint Mousse for desert, the flavour of this thing is something else!

Overall, The Pig exceeded all expectations. I actually feel proud to know this exists in my home region. All their hard work to make your experience top notch has definitely paid off...

...just remove that tiny table of two!

• Stayed: August 2011

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the glowing review, I'll pass on your food compliments to our Head Chef, James, and his team. The mint mousse is definitely a favourite with a lot of the guests that have eaten in the restaurant, it's all fresh from the garden which, I think, makes it taste even more delicious!
I'm really glad both you and your girlfriend had such a lovely evening with us, except for table that you were at, apologiesif you felt uncomfortable there.
We look forward to your return and will make sure you are at a different table next time!

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Perfect for a quiet getaway, with first class food in the restaurant. Service did nt consistently match all of the other aspects though - too many staff in restaurant led to 'patchy' service which translated to us as laziness. Also, tables far too close together. Room was great, not sure best idea to have such a big bed in a relatively small space though. For a relaxing night away, perfect.

• Stayed: August 2011

Thank you for your review Neil, having only been open for a month, it is extremely helpful for us to get your feedback! I'm glad you had such a good meal, and I will pass on your comments about the staff to our Restaurant Manager.
Kind Regards
Victoria Gibbs

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#4 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!