After reading the fabulous reviews for The Pig in the national press, my wife and I were really looking forward to our meal there last week and we weren't disappointed. Not only is the food wonderful, the decor and service we received also deserve a mention. The restaurant and bar look fantastic - very shabby chic - and the staff were lovely too. On several occasions we enquired about the provenance of items on the menu (they're very big on sourcing local ingredients) and every time our waiter either knew the answer or promptly spoke to the chef to find out for us. If you go, be sure to try their 'piggy bits' - we had the Brock Eggs, little scotch-style quails eggs - delicious. We couldn't fault our risotto or scallops either. Simply presented, tasted great. There is only one downside to The Pig and that's the automatic 12.5% service charge on our bill - I was more than happy to pay this as I felt the service had been perfect but when I asked our waiter about the tipping policy at the restaurant, he told me that it doesnt go to the staff - I understand this is becoming standard practice at more and more places but having worked in the restaurant industry myself, I do feel this is somewhat unjust. However, when I asked that the service charge be removed so I could leave a cash gratuity (this does go to the staff), this wasn't a problem. All in all a great experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pig is a bang up to date take on a new style of home grown, 26 bedroom country house hotel and what that needs to be today - original, relaxed and sitting comfortably within its environment. It's really a restaurant with rooms. This is a place that is all about the walled garden and everything is driven by the gardener/forager and chef - they grow and find the food - the chef then makes the menu. The style is home grown in every way - breaking the mold of designed hotels, daring to be comfortable in its own skin, working with what it has and recognising what is good about that. It won't be perfect, it will be warm, relaxed, comfy, interesting, and homely with muted colours, a bit shabby chic and evolved rather than interior designed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your The Pig reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pig Hotel Brockenhurst
- Hotel Whitley Ridge
- Whitley Ridge Brockenhurst
- The Pig Brockenhurst, New Forest