“Stunning hotel in New Forest”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pig

and 1 more site!
The Pig
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
tonbridge
“Stunning hotel in New Forest”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We chose this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary on recommendation. After I had booked I was disappointed to see some less than favourable reviews on trip advisor but stuck to our guns and were so pleased we did. Those other people must have been very unlucky as this hotel has everything one could wish for ( other than a ban on small children which would make it perfect). The grounds are immaculate .There is a swing and a hammock slung from large cedars which make lying in the sun watching the wildlife a highlight.
The breakfasts and dinners are delicious and the whole ethos of their food is that 95% of all the produce is produced within 25 miles of the hotel which ticked boxes for us. I loved watching the chef pop backwards and forwards to the kitchen garden throughout the afternoon gathering produce for the evening meal.
The staff seem to really enjoy working there although I heard a male waiter wasn't too keen on the choice of pink shirts for the waiting staff!
We really liked the conservatory where the meals are served...shabby chic it certainly is with terracotta pots of herbs on the tables instead of flowers- lovely touch. It is a shame that people don't dress up at all even for dinner but as I seem to be out of touch with the current trend perhaps that will appeal to most .
The robes in the rooms are gorgeous as are the choice of toiletries throughout the bathrooms in the hotel.
There is a lovely lounge with great books and fires to sit by. We also liked the courtyard with the wood fired oven which serves delicious pizza and flatbreads. It also closes at 10pm which limits the noise to the bedrooms surrounding the area in the main house.

My one niggle ( other than the standard of modern parenting which isn't their fault!) is the charge for the bike hire £8.50 a day. I would have thought this could have been absorbed by the hotel for £199/night .

We both want to go back in the autumn to experience lazing around the wood fires reading, walking in the forest and going on trips with the resident forager to learn how to pick wild food.

Room Tip: Doghouse( !) is away from the main building next to the kitchen garden and is large with a lounge ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having just spent our 1st anniversary at the pig, I had mixed emotions. The hotel and surroundings were top notch, a very classy relaxed environment, fab kitchen gardens and excellent hide away room. The hotel / restaurant has a brilliant theme with the pig being the focal point - drinks menus served in a pig keeping book was really cool. Staff were pleasant and willing to help. A massive let down for me was the food available to vegetarians. A separate menu from the main menu was on hand for lunch and dinner which was a good start, but he selection was pretty poor. A meat replacement would have gone down well rather than serving a dish minus meat. Maybe I eat a lot but polenta with tomatoes is not what I call a main course. To think the kitchen gardens was so exciting, I thought more could be done to appeal to veggies. When the staff were asked to make an exciting flatbread at lunch, it came to the table with just mozzarella where as my wife had chorizo and vegetables, so they do have them on the prep area. And the veggie breakfast was just laughable. Other than the veggie food aspect, the place was really good and would recommend to anyone looking for that tucked away stay.

Room Tip: Pick the hideaway rooms, bit more money but worth it.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Four of us met here for lunch. The hotel is located in the New Forest and the setting is beautiful. We were so impressed with the reception rooms, and the lovely conservatory restaurant. We loved walking through the kitchen gardens after lunch, and identifying what had been picked that day for us to eat. The customer service is excellent and the food very good.

I hope we can go back for longer next time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed at the Pig in summer 2012 just after our wedding. We had such a good time that we booked to go for our first anniversary a year later. However, this time was a bit of a disappointment.
The room we had - The Pig Hut - was nice but not especially so. It was very hot at night (and it wasn't even that hot outside) and quite dark. It also had no wifi which was annoying for a £200/night room.
The thing that really disappointed however was the service.
From arrival I thought the service had dropped in standard from last year. We were asked on arrival if we wanted any newspapers. I said yes and they were duly delivered, and the cost added onto our bill at the end of the stay. They should make it clear that the newspapers are an extra charge when asking customers if they want them, especially as there are free newspapers all over the property. It's just a basic courtesy otherwise you feel like you're being ripped off. We also forgot a toothbrush (stupid of us) and were charged £2.50 for a cheap disposable toothbrush with a tiny toothpaste sample.
At dinner things were just sloppy:
1. I was brought a large glass of wine when I asked for a small
2. We got bottled water instead of the tap water we asked for
3. My vegetarian husband was given polenta with chorizo (which he ate by mistake) instead of the vegetarian version he had ordered

They're not massive things individually but together they just make you feel like everything is being done sloppily and when you're paying over £70 a head for dinner it's just not acceptable.

I got the impression that the staff had very little supervision, and most seemed very young.

In sum, I'm not sure I'd come back to the Pig. I really wanted to love it again but at £200 per night not including breakfast, and considering the sloppy service, I'm not sure I could.

3 Thank LondonZoeJ
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is a perfect hotel in every sense and I can highly recommend it. Excellent location for the coast and the new forest. The reading rooms and the ideal location for a winters afternoon and the restaurant is top class.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Our family booked for fathers day and yes we did book three months in advance and it was well worth it! We had the green room to our selves which sits up to 14 people, there was 10 of us and it was very comfortable. The ambiance of the room and the whole restaurant is lovely. The place feels very organic, with all the lovely flowers and plants around. Music was also great!
The staff was very knowledgable, engaging an polite, I would say that the service was indeed the best I have encountered in years! And the food! The food!!! amazing! I am not easily amused but I must say the food here was very good. My pollock was cooked to perfection. My pudding which was a cucumber and lime jelly and ice cream was the most delicious thing I have had in years, and the most innovative. The wine list is extensive and has everything for everyone, and the bar staff can make you any drink you can think of.
I just can't wait to go back. Definitely will be the restaurant of choice for us in the future.
Our bill was £500 and I would say yes good value for the money!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Northamptonshire, England
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Having been invited to visit this hotel/restaurant for lunch with friends,who had lauded enthusiastically about the whole experience, we were not disappointed. Agree with previous posts regarding the ambiance, decor and comfort: could imagine living here in Georgian style, set in the wonderful location of the New Forest and all the attributes of this area, quite easily thankyou. After a long drive to and fro we decided it was well worth it, and have already started to plan our return visit with an overnight stay. Thanks to previous posts, we shall be forwarned as to which rooms to request and the various anomolies.
We could find no fault during our visit: availed ourselves of a walk around the kitchen garden, (praise indeed to the gardener,-compares with Manoir Q Saison! - amazing), due to the inclement weather we could not extend this after lunch walk around the grounds but sat in the courtyard for coffe, where there is an open stone fireplace - very quirky!.
The service was exceptionally good, glasses topped up without request, nothing was too much trouble and served with polite, efficiency, friendly but not 'in your face' over familiar. Well done with that, a pet hate is sloppy service, whatever the age of the staff.
Our meals were without doubt some of the best we have had in this country, and we have had a few good ones! Lamb succulent and tasty,(with home made mint jelly) beef perfectly cooked, and the blancmange dessert with sorbet - well what can I say, perfection! Most of the ingredients were locally sourced, ice cream home made, and assume herbs and salads from the kitchen garden.
Wines not ridiculously priced, and a good selection. However one small point: Prossecco I prefer white, and they only served Rosato, which was good but they should at least have a choice.
A hint, dont fill yourself up on the Piggy Bits (pre lunch) which are delicious. You don't want to spoil your main meal..
Dress code was relaxed, smart casual and most had made an effort. There was a good 'buzz' in the conservatory/dining room without being over the top noisy.
We were with good friends so would have had a great time anyway: good food, wine, service, location, great company - it doesn't get better than this!!
Will we recommend? Most certainly.....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Lime Wood Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!