“Not as great as I imagined!”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Service good but I would say too quick, if you are spending £60 a head I don't think it should be rushed, they obviously had another booking on the table.

Food good but nothing really stood out for me!

I love limewood, the atmosphere, food and service are faultless and maybe I was comparing the Pig to limewood too much. Overall I will not rush back I think there is just as nice places to go in the New forest that charges half the price!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jemmasmoker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Short stay in early Autumn.

Hotel was gorgeous. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all fantastic.Staff all very warm & helpful. Attention to detail was spot on. Couldn't have asked for more.. thanks guys.

An hour in the Kitchen garden is fascinating experience.

Countryside is always beautiful at that time of year and perfect for a short getaway.

Only thing I would have changed would have been most of the clientele there that weekend who were overly pretentious, loud & generally rude. Probably luck of the draw over the weekend and can't be helped by the hotel. Nevertheless, beware: a gastro-hotel like this in Hampshire is going to attract the type :)

"SO, When I was last here with KATE MIDDLETONS FATHER!..."

"Henry, fetch the croquet set will you?" "SHOUT: IT'S BY THE WELLIES!!"

*sigh*

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nobbyneb
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I cannot express how disappointed and upset I am feeling right now. My husband and I booked a table at The Pig four months in advance. We arrived and sat down in the "drawing room", where we had a lovely cocktail and looked at the menu. Quite frankly we should have gone home there and then. The menu was decidedly uninspiring: a T-bone steak, slow-cooked lamb to be shared, two fish options, a slow-cooked beef dish, a venison pie and two pork dishes were offered for mains. When it takes you so long to choose because nothing appeals, you know that you are on a losing streak. I ordered wild mushrooms with a duck egg followed by Bath Chap. My husband chose clam linguine followed by venison.
My starter was nice, although the waiter couldn't tell me what wild mushrooms were involved. My husband broke his tooth on his first bite of his clam dish. Now this was unfortunate. No chef could anticipate a pearl being in a clam (had he broken his tooth on a bit of shot in a game dish then well, fair enough, but clam pasta?)...
We should have given up and gone home at this point but we soldiered on. My main was a gimmick of mainly crackling. My husbands venison was glorified pub grub.
So, having lodged the broken tooth in the accident book, and expecting an expensive dentist bill, we expected at least to have the cost of that course removed from the bill. Not a chance. We foolishly did not create a fuss and paid up. Were we seen to the door? No. Did anyone offer to get our coats? No. How long we're we kept waiting for our bill? Ages!
The 12.5% service charge was a bitter pill. I will not return to this place. It is very pretty, and it is delightful aesthetically, however the food is a complete anti-climax. There are some truly lovely, genuine New Forest pubs, where you can get better, local food and log fires for a fraction of the price. I won't be going back to The Pig.

Room Tip: If you must go here, have a drink, but far more lovely local food down the road at The White Hart at...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank WoodTiger77
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've been to the pig two years running for my birthday and travel up from London! I think I mentioned on the phone it was my birthday as I was disappointed that even booking 5 weeks in advanced they were fully booked for dinner so we had to book for lunch instead. However the food was once again amazing .. The home made bread and home smoked salt alone is to die for, let alone the piggy bits, starters, main & dessert! The wine list is out of this world ... They have every wine possible I'm sure! The meal was fantastic ... I had Bath Chap which I strongly recommend to any adventurous diners! And the staff even remembered my birthday and brought us complementary dessert wine :) I will be travelling up again next November for sure :)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Enjoyed a lovely lunch and catch up with an old friend at The Pig today . You always know a place is good when you feel at home straight away. Charming staff, good food and a non stuffy atmosphere - just perfect. This is the real deal, not like some places pretending to be something they are definitely not.
Well done to all - you've got it just right.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Decided to take my husband as a surprise for his birthday, surprise it was not!! A phone call the day before told him of the reservation............hey ho. My fault for not giving my mobile no. It sort of spoiled it, but having arrived, we were taken to a lounge with a roaring fire, then complimentary champagne arrived, followed by canapés of miniature scotch eggs and the best crackling ever! Our food order taken, with no sense of rush. I opted for fresh tagliatelle , my husband had a black pudding tartlet. Absolutely delicious. A superbly cooked steak followed and the same can be said for a moist pork chop. The service was faultless and the setting was too. At the end of the meal, we were presented with a little pig cookie, with happy birthday pipped on. The reason for me being so impressed, as I did on the phone call let them know of my disappointment. Charming attentiveness, with nothing being said, but very thoughtful . Definitely will go back. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have visited The Pig many times and it never let's you down....the best Bloody Mary's, great staff, beautiful setting, comfortable dining room, excellent food. We have taken many a friend there, who request to go back time and time again....you can't say better than that. Last time, I had a superb bottle of Portugese wine.......when I contacted them asking for the name of it, they couldn't have been more helpful..it is now in my wine rack!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#4 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!