A morning in the New Forest and than a great lunch was served, excellent cooking, refined but hearty, and reasonably priced. My party of four, containing two incredibly picky members, were very satisfied. For me, the linguini with Dorset clams and a pork chop were cooked to perfection. Some good puddings as well. For others the partridge was highly rated. But, for a restaurant deep in the New Forest, the lunch lacked the "feel" of that forest. Hence the paradox: for an enterprise which takes pride in sourcing its food from the local area, where amongst the front-of-house staff were the Forest folk, with their warming New Forest burr and knowledge of the life and ways of the forest? Thus, despite the excellent service and charming staff, intruiging decor and beautiful setting, it was far from a genuine New Forest experience. Perhaps that was an unrealistic expectation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pig is a bang up to date take on a new style of home grown, 26 bedroom country house hotel and what that needs to be today - original, relaxed and sitting comfortably within its environment. It's really a restaurant with rooms. This is a place that is all about the walled garden and everything is driven by the gardener/forager and chef - they grow and find the food - the chef then makes the menu. The style is home grown in every way - breaking the mold of designed hotels, daring to be comfortable in its own skin, working with what it has and recognising what is good about that. It won't be perfect, it will be warm, relaxed, comfy, interesting, and homely with muted colours, a bit shabby chic and evolved rather than interior designed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your The Pig reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pig Hotel Brockenhurst
- Hotel Whitley Ridge
- Whitley Ridge Brockenhurst
- The Pig Brockenhurst, New Forest