“A Curate's Egg Experience”
Review of The Pig

and 1 more site!
The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We returned to The Pig for an overnight stay and dinner, having enjoyed a lunch there in the summer. The house itself is in a beautiful forest setting, and the grounds are lovely. There are some rooms in the main building, and others in converted stables etc. around the place. The kitchen garden is full of the vegetables used to prepare the meals. The rooms we had were interesting and well designed. The room was very hot, and we found the window tricky to open. The bathroom was enormous. The front of house team work well together and are efficient and helpful. We did not enjoy the food so much on this occasion. Two of us found our main courses not very nice, although the other two enjoyed theirs. When we mentioned this, the 'discretionary tip' was removed from the bill. Not a very 'discretionary' gratuity really. The cooked breakfast was tepid. We noticed others bringing this to the attention of the staff, and the replacements seemed little of an improvement.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JK5961

Reviewed 26 November 2013

A morning in the New Forest and than a great lunch was served, excellent cooking, refined but hearty, and reasonably priced. My party of four, containing two incredibly picky members, were very satisfied. For me, the linguini with Dorset clams and a pork chop were cooked to perfection. Some good puddings as well. For others the partridge was highly rated. But, for a restaurant deep in the New Forest, the lunch lacked the "feel" of that forest. Hence the paradox: for an enterprise which takes pride in sourcing its food from the local area, where amongst the front-of-house staff were the Forest folk, with their warming New Forest burr and knowledge of the life and ways of the forest? Thus, despite the excellent service and charming staff, intruiging decor and beautiful setting, it was far from a genuine New Forest experience. Perhaps that was an unrealistic expectation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

It was by far the best experience at a restaurant I have ever had. We tried to book at the hotel 6 months ago but failed due to the popularity of the venue. But fortunately managed to get a table at the restaurant.. I would say some of these reviews were not reflective of our experience. The staff very welcoming - to the point of giving us complimentary glasses of champagne when they found out we had just got married. The ambience was lovely and the food excellent. We have already recommended the place to our friends and hope to return for another special occasion

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Beautiful building and pretty setting. The beds were really comfortable. However it would have been nice to have a option of a poly fibre pillow instead of feather . Some of the corridors leading to the rooms could do with a re paint and carpet a little dirty could do with freshening up. But apart from that rooms were clean which to me is a priority. I was a little disappointed with the breakfast set up. You don't expect to boil your own egg or make your own toast especially when breakfast is not included in the price of your stay. This is constructive criticism and With some adjustments and small tweaks this hotel could be even more popular than it already is.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Service good but I would say too quick, if you are spending £60 a head I don't think it should be rushed, they obviously had another booking on the table.

Food good but nothing really stood out for me!

I love limewood, the atmosphere, food and service are faultless and maybe I was comparing the Pig to limewood too much. Overall I will not rush back I think there is just as nice places to go in the New forest that charges half the price!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jemmasmoker
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Short stay in early Autumn.

Hotel was gorgeous. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all fantastic.Staff all very warm & helpful. Attention to detail was spot on. Couldn't have asked for more.. thanks guys.

An hour in the Kitchen garden is fascinating experience.

Countryside is always beautiful at that time of year and perfect for a short getaway.

Only thing I would have changed would have been most of the clientele there that weekend who were overly pretentious, loud & generally rude. Probably luck of the draw over the weekend and can't be helped by the hotel. Nevertheless, beware: a gastro-hotel like this in Hampshire is going to attract the type :)

"SO, When I was last here with KATE MIDDLETONS FATHER!..."

"Henry, fetch the croquet set will you?" "SHOUT: IT'S BY THE WELLIES!!"

*sigh*

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nobbyneb
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I cannot express how disappointed and upset I am feeling right now. My husband and I booked a table at The Pig four months in advance. We arrived and sat down in the "drawing room", where we had a lovely cocktail and looked at the menu. Quite frankly we should have gone home there and then. The menu was decidedly uninspiring: a T-bone steak, slow-cooked lamb to be shared, two fish options, a slow-cooked beef dish, a venison pie and two pork dishes were offered for mains. When it takes you so long to choose because nothing appeals, you know that you are on a losing streak. I ordered wild mushrooms with a duck egg followed by Bath Chap. My husband chose clam linguine followed by venison.
My starter was nice, although the waiter couldn't tell me what wild mushrooms were involved. My husband broke his tooth on his first bite of his clam dish. Now this was unfortunate. No chef could anticipate a pearl being in a clam (had he broken his tooth on a bit of shot in a game dish then well, fair enough, but clam pasta?)...
We should have given up and gone home at this point but we soldiered on. My main was a gimmick of mainly crackling. My husbands venison was glorified pub grub.
So, having lodged the broken tooth in the accident book, and expecting an expensive dentist bill, we expected at least to have the cost of that course removed from the bill. Not a chance. We foolishly did not create a fuss and paid up. Were we seen to the door? No. Did anyone offer to get our coats? No. How long we're we kept waiting for our bill? Ages!
The 12.5% service charge was a bitter pill. I will not return to this place. It is very pretty, and it is delightful aesthetically, however the food is a complete anti-climax. There are some truly lovely, genuine New Forest pubs, where you can get better, local food and log fires for a fraction of the price. I won't be going back to The Pig.

Room Tip: If you must go here, have a drink, but far more lovely local food down the road at The White Hart at...