“A must for any foodie!”

The Pig
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“A must for any foodie!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We just got back from 2 blissful nights staying here. A special treat before baby number two pops out and wow was it a treat. I feel as if i've had a weeks holiday! The staff who work at the restaurant and bar are faultless ,they are all so friendly and efficient. My only niggle was one of the reception girls. On our way down to this magical place we rang up when we realised that we were lost and wouldnt make our 2pm lunch reservation, the receptionist didnt know where the montagu arms or the beaulieu car show room was which is where we were, despite it being in their information booklet I read in our room later on. She then told us that if we werent at the restaurant by 2.15pm we couldnt eat. Well this totally stressed me out as I was starving and at 35 weeks preggas you dont want to be told this! After lots of cussing with my husband and a hugely stressful time trying to find the place we were gutted that it was 2:18pm and that we would probably not be able to eat. I rushed in whilst my husband parked up and ran head first into the manager who instantly put me to ease. What a saviour. I explained to him our situation and he was like you have plenty of time dont stress, here come with me and i'll seat you, he couldnt have been more charming. I just wished the receptionist who answered the phone and who told us twice in no uncertain terms that if we were later than 2;15pm we wouldnt be able to eat, knew her facts! She caused a lot of unnecessary stress, so if you're late like we were it's worth to know that the last orders are generally at 2:30pm and if you were to be late they would rustle something up for you! We subsequently ate like kings and had the most incredible meal. I never thought I liked pheasant until my husband chose it and I tried it, was the best i've ever tasted. Everything we had was a culinary delight. The next day we went to Limewood, their sister place for lunch and treatments which was amazing. The service there is also impeccable and we had the pleasure of meeting the most wonderful man called Martian who has been with the company since the Pig first opened. He really made our experience at Limewood so special. He took us to the kitchen and we had the privilege to meet Angela Hartnett!
We stayed in a comfy luxe room called the stables which was away from the main house, it was well decorated and the bath was lovely, I had 2 a day! I also had a fantastic Indian head massage in the potting shed by Hedi who has magic hands.
We loved our experience and will definitely be back. The food was out of this world. We ate so well and tried so many things on the extensive menu. I loved my half pig head on the board, it was truly delicious. If you love crackling it's a must!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Berkshire
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My partner booked the Pig as a special surprise for my Birthday weekend and engagement. We had always wanted to stay here but it was always fully booked, so he was delighted when they had a cancellation. The staff are all very welcoming and friendly and we couldn't fault them. We checked into our room which was a lovely looking room but it smelt terribly of cheese (Gromit). We think our room must have been above the cheese store room. This smell never left the room even though we had the window open. The cocktails were wonderful and we loved them. The menu in the restaurant was fussy and rustic to say the least. My partner was offered pork cheeks on the jaw with the teeth... He is South African and a real meat eater however even this was one step too far for him. Breakfast was very rustic, no side plates and you had to look around tomato plants and the like to see each other. Really had high hopes for this place but found it to be overrated. We would however go back for the cocktails.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ChampagneLil
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

A group of 10 of us booked into the Pig between Christmas and new year. We had a very nice dinner in the private dining room with good (not excellent) food and service. We all stayed over but the room we stayed in was very small with nowhere to put anything. The shower waste was blocked and it flooded in the morning. When I reported this to staff it was acknowledged but there was no recognition of the inconvenience caused. As we live close to The Pig this was not an issue but ordinarily this would be a big problem. We are regulars at The Pig for lunch/dinner but it is going down hill in terms of the standard of food and service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Gary P
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed for the weekend with my boyfriend and it was perfect, the service really is impeccable as many people have said. They clearly have a really thoughtful hiring process as everyone they employ seems to share the same passion for the place, nothing is too much trouble and they remember important details that genuinely make the service feel personal. The food is wonderful, we loved the ethos of the 25 mile menu (everything not reared or raised on site is sourced locally) and they catered brilliantly for gluten free. Little touches, like the Hunter wellies lined up in the hallway for guests to borrow, and the DVD library and board games really make this feel like a home from home.
I booked a comfy room but when we arrived we'd been upgraded to a hideaway room (quirkily named The Doghouse) and this was wonderful, a wood burning stove, separate lounge and beautiful bathroom with roll top bath mean I would definitely pay the extra in future.
As city dwellers we don't have a car and took the train down from London, its location means you can easily get by without one.
I will undoubtedly be returning and can't wait for the Dorset and Bath ones to open this year! I can't recommend highly enough

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

2nd visit, this time just for dinner with a couple of friends. As expected the restaurant was busy and had a good atmosphere. Service was good, as it should be.
As for the food, well its really only OK. The model seems to be that magic is in the freshness and flavour of the ingredients rather than the imagination and talent of the chef. good in theory but if the flavour is not there then the meal becomes mediocre - as happened to us. in short, starters were good, mains average (let down by indifferent meat) and as with our last visit - deserts not that good. three mark up on wine is par for the course in such places

Its unlikely I will come back. Whilst there are worse places to eat at a similar price point there are a great many that are better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank swise400
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I stayed the weekend at this hotel and it is a masterclass in customer service. Absolutely lovely room with great spacious bathroom. Food on both nights was excellent - a slight downside, I think they overbooked the restaurant for the Saturday night - although I booked in August, the earliest I could book Saturday evening was 9.30pm and this was eventually nearer 10.00pm. However, we were kept informed and two complementary glasses of champagne went down well.

Had a lovely treatment in the Potting Shed - a cosy, warm Spa.

Looking forward to checking out the new hotel outside Bath; opening in March 2014.
Will definitely return to the New Forest.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the old stables would be quieter in the summer months, when the courtyard would...