The Pig
  • Breakfast included
Passford House(Lymington)
  • Breakfast included
1,756 results
All reviewsbath chapcomfy luxe roomhen housemonsoon showerkitchen gardenwithin a mile radiusrestaurant with roomsmile menuporkvegetable gardenflatbreaddrawing roomthe main housenew forestroll top bathyoung staffbirthday lunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Pig is a fantastic boutique hotel all within in an under 2 hour train ride from central London. The restaurant is arguably the focus but I found other aspects to be perhaps just as spectacular. For example, I had one of my best massages of all at the Pig and it was done in the most stylish of sheds. It was raining when we were there and the warm fireplaces throughout the living rooms were inviting and cozy. The staff was friendly and they offered their assistance throughout our stay. The decor was incredibly tasteful and stylish. We will definitely return, including when I bring others there for a prenatal retreat.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17 which was wonderful, especially since we had our baby with. We were able to have a drink in the living room while the baby slept soundly in our room as we had brought our baby monitor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank purposeandtravel
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Arrived on a wet Thursday afternoon, with local roads blocked or partially blocked due to bad weather, but no way were these pathetic attempts by Mother Nature to stop us arriving going to succeed.

From the moment you make your way up the winding drive and see the hotel come into view, you cannot help but start grinning in the knowledge you made the right choice this time. Fabulous building and can only imagine how the grounds look in the summer! Stunning.

Reception staff were friendly and took us to our room, The Pig Shed! Wow. Superking bed I would guess with quality linen & pillows. Real milk, not UHT, for tea or coffee. Other hotels please note!!!! Flat screen tv, deep roll top bath bath and separate very large drenching shower simply enhanced the experience. Views over the chickens a nice touch.

Nice walk through the gardens where we could see produce bound for the table over the coming weeks. Again, in better weather, this would be a delight for all senses, and further walks around the grounds would make this a few hours long if you so desired.

We chose to have an afternoon drink in the bar area, fire blazing, although there were other quieter rooms too if you preferred. Duncan served us and his passion for the job and hotel during the brief conversation told us we were in for a treat. We were not the only guests to notice this! His colleagues continued along the same vein when he was called elsewhere.

Dinner was sumptuous. The Pig have an ethos of ingredients coming within a 25 mile radius. Keep it local is a mantra that many of us agree with today for a number of reasons inc. local economy, seasonal food, green miles etc. but the flavour needs to be right when you are paying good money! We were not disappointed. You may as well choose your meal via eeny, meeny, miny & mo as whatever you choose I very much doubt will disappoint. Happy faces everywhere. Great atmosphere. Good service from staff kept the finely tuned "machine" rolling effortlessly.

A hearty breakfast the following morning set us up for the day. Superb local produce.

You could have 2 or even 3 treats at other establishments for the price of this 1 but I guarantee those will be forgettable whereas I know we will remember and talk of our time at The Pig well into the future. No doubt we may have to pop back from time to time too! Not just for the Martinis, Duncan.

Room Tip: Not sure there could be such a thing as a "bad" room. I'd be happy to take any on offer based on our stay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DraytonBlue
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I visited the Pig in the Wall Southampton for the night on a Sunday. Part of the deal was a landrover trip to eat at The Pig in the Forest with a return trip back to Southampton. Wow what an amazing place! Staff were very attentive and friendly. The food was amazing! It was so difficult to choose what to eat as we liked everything on the menu! I settled for the pork cheek. I never thought I could have too much crackling on roast pork but I had to share it with my husband as the portion was too big!
Another surprise was the fact that the restaurant seemed to be full which must be unusual for a wet, windy winter's Sunday evening!
Can't wait to return to the Pig in the Forest and stay the night!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carol c
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed just one night as a treat and it was everything we expected it to be. Staff were welcoming and helpful , very professional but in a relaxed and casual way, even down to the dress code which immediately made you feel comfortable. A far cry from some of the stuffy personnel I have encountered at similar rated hotels. The attention to detail was just fantastic ( Rugs and Wellies just an example) and I loved the decor again something that made you feel at home. We stayed in the Pigsty, away from the main building and it was extremely comfortable and together with a roaring wood burning stove made it even cosier.
We ate in the Restaurant and the food was delicious even though I chose badly! Should have gone for Pork after all the name said it all, but hey it was good. Cost of dinner was reasonable but not cheap!
My only criticism would be the pricing it was very high especially without breakfast, I cannot believe it would make a great deal of difference to profits to include breakfast in the room rate. Several friends and family have stayed here and all have said the same, also I see it comes up in a few reviews. Please consider it !
Would I stay here again, yes ! But have Pork for dinner!
I look forward to checking out The Pig on the Beach when it opens in May and I wish you luck but please throw in an egg and some toast !

Room Tip: For a one night stay The Snug is perfect there are so many lovely communal rooms to relax in and the beds I imagine are the same comfort In all rooms. Having stayed in the Pigsty it was lovely but not worth it for such a short stay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have just returned from our second visit to the Pig, having previously visited when it was only a year old and pretty new. We did have a lovely 2 night stay, but we experienced a few niggles which suggested that the hotel needs to pay a little more attention to some of the details if it doesn't want to lose it's impeccable shine, which is something that we remember taking away from us after our first visit.

We arrived early on the Friday afternoon and were taken up to our room which was room 6. Like a previous reviewer noted, both rooms 5 and 6 sit above the restaurant / bar areas so the first thing we noticed was the noise of music coming up from below. However what struck us even more was the quality of the room; black hand marks around the light switches/walls, scuff marks along all the walls, paint chipped on the skirting boards and wardrobe. All in all, the sort of things that didn't make us feel like we were staying in a £185 per night room (Comfy room)

The staff happily moved us to a significantly nicer room 3 which was great. Some people may find room 3 a little noisy at the end of an evening as it overlooks the drive way where people leave and visit for a cigarette break, but personally we felt the noise was kept to a minimum for a short period of time, so this did not affect our stay. The beds and the quality of sleep was faultless.

The only thing that we noted from room 3 was that the top of the wardrobe hadn't appeared to have been dusted for a very long time. We only noticed this because we stored our bags on top during our stay, and we were subsequently covered by dust when we took them down to re-pack.

Our final niggle to note was simply the carpet on the landing of the main hotel. We do understand that this is a very busy hotel, but the carpet really does show just how many people walk over it, it's hoovered, but pretty grimey. Again, this doesn't feel like the sort of standard you want to portray when your average room price (without breakfast) is getting on for £200 a night on a weekend.

The staff and service were generally excellent. They were both very friendly and attentive however we noticed that the breakfast rush tends to peak at about 10 am, with a result that our breakfast order was wrong and we had to wait quite a long time for tea and coffee and our food. Nevertheless, the error was dealt with very professionally.

All in all, we did have a lovely stay, we fed our concerns back to the reception and they genuinely welcomed our feedback. We would definitely go again, however it just looks like they've got a little to do to make sure those very special standards that they originally had, don't slip any more.

Room Tip: Room 6 (Comfy) is above the restaurant so regular noise from music is to be expected. Comfy room 3 was lovely and better proportioned. We also stuck our heads round an empty room 2 (which we think is a snug). This overlooks the terrace area and looked very nice too.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple