“Like my BMW - Basically Very Good but Everything is an Extra Cost”
Review of The Pig

and 1 more site!
The Pig
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Booked the Tamworth room for a couple of nights; it had come recommended. It certainly was a lovely large bedroom and wonderful bathroom, with perhaps the best shower I have ever had in a hotel. Coffee and Tea are free - but that is where the charity ends I'm afraid. In addition to the basic room cost, you can(if you are mad enough !) pay £4 for a bottle of water in the mini bar, then £15 (cooked) £10 (Continental) each in addition for breakfast (completely unaware that I had booked room only) and then approx £60 per head (with a cheaper bottle of wine) for evening dining - so 2 nights cost £640.25 - ouch !!
Now for this cost I expect perfection and I'm afraid it wasn't. Niggly things in the room, such as a temperamental Nespresso machine, no free biscuits with your tea, the background sound of a boiler, bathroom mirror too small and inadequate lighting above it, foot pedal on standard lamp did not work and nowhere to put your spent tea bags, no Ipod connection to allow you to play the music you like in your room.
In the restaurant, the music was often "rock" and too loud; the tables are very close together and in the morning when the fire was lit, we all smelt of wood smoke.

I probably wouldn't even have mentioned these at a cost of £400 for 2 nights - but then £16 daily each for breakfast, £190 for dining two nights; the £4 water bottle and the £8 porridge (did I not mention that ?) tipped me over the edge !

Management what are you doing ? These issues make us assume that you care only for profit and not your customers and we hate being taken for a ride.
Now the good stuff. The location and grounds are superb. The food is as wonderful as you would expect and the service was excellent. The food is all supplied from the Kitchen Garden and/or within 25 miles and it was truly delicious. The shower really is the best I have ever been under in any hotel I have stayed in world wide.
Rather like my BMW - would I buy another stay ? No, not unless, I feel I am getting something for my money. If you want to charge me for all the extras, then please, please don't give me any grounds at all for complaint.

Room Tip: I have only experience the Tamworth, which is in the "Hideaway" rather than the hotel itse...
4  Thank johnpetersfield
There are newer reviews for The Pig

Reviewed 19 May 2014

It was the second time we went to The Pig. First time was two years ago. It was a very pleasant revisit.
Pretty much everything about this place is great.
Location is perfect, in the middle of the forest.
Restaurant with its 25 mile menu is great. Only problem is we always happens to get totally stuffed.
We have chosen the snug room both times and that room type is rather small, but snug. The bathroom on the other hand is surprisingly large, with nice big shower head.
Garden is great for relaxing. Maybe only minus is, that the chairs and benches aren't really that nice to sit in. Some sun chairs would be nice.
Staff are friendly. But not very personal in comparison to the general feeling of the place. But they are busy, because the place is almost always full. Book in advance.
We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Book well in advance
1  Thank Farcin
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just stayed at The Pig for a family weekend - we had The Dog House. The room is fantastic - very comfortable bed, spacious with an excellent bathroom with roll-top bath and monsoon shower. The food was of a high standard too...though with our tariff being half-board, we had a choice of 3 dishes in each course rather than the full al la carte, and found that the meat option on both nights was pork. Having seen the full menu, that could easily have been avoided. That said my husband and I were happy both nights with the fish options which were lovely. Breakfast was very good with ample choice of fruits/cereals/pastries/boiled eggs and toast etc. There were also extensive menus if you would like a cooked option and my brother-in-law thought the kippers were excellent. The staff deserve a special mention - they were so friendly and helpful and prepared to chat if they were not dashing around. A walk around the walled kitchen garden is a must and seeing the hens and pigs being fed was entertaining too. The only downside to our break were two families with unruly children who were not at all well behaved. We (and another of our party) were awoken before 7am by a child deciding to pick up the phone and play with numbers!! We also had to endure children running across floorboards in the room above us at an early hour - but the hotel cannot be held to count for that! We also agree with other reviews that the piped music gets a little much at times and cannot exactly be called "background". Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed it and will return - with our dogs next time!!

Room Tip: The larger suite style rooms are lovely in the courtyard setting.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Came for dinner whilst staying at the Pig in the Wall, they do a great taxi service between the two. Amazing beautiful location and the restaurant is very cool, kitchen garden type space. Piggy bits of Scotch eggs made with ham hock were lush, starters of smoked salmon and tomato and goat's cheese salad equally lovely. Main courses not quite so good, the chicken and the fish lacking a bit of wow factor. Shared pudding of honey cake was nice but nothing to write home about. Would definitely go again but they certainly do the quirky bits and pieces with more flare than the staple main courses. Also strong on cocktails but seemed to be lacking a sommelier or wine expert in the restaurant, wine lists given but orders not solicited.
We're keen to go back and stay there so I'll review again!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The house is set in beautiful surroundings. The restaurant is perfectly situated in a conservatory overlooking the garden. We visited for a birthday dinner. The food is sourced within 25 miles and is excellent value, great quality & tasty. The wine list is extensive as is the cocktail list ( many with their own piggy twist). The only down side is that the tables are very close together & the staff were a little frosty. We would definitely return.

1  Thank VKDiver
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel and restaurant had been highly recommended to me so I booked for 2 night stay.
We were unable to book a table in the restaurant on our first evening until 9.15pm so booked a taxi into Brockenhurst to The Fallen Tree restaurant, which was excellent.
Breakfast on our first morning was mediocre and very slow to arrive so we did not have breakfast there the following morning.
Our evening meal at The Pig on our second evening was very interesting with a varied menu of different items that you may have not seen on any previous menus. The food was very tasty and there was an excellent wine list. The tables in the restaurant were quite close together.
The bedroom was very comfortable. The shower and towels were very good and the coffee machine was an additional welcomed extra. The baby in the neighbouring room was not so welcome at 5am!
The staff were all were smiley and welcoming.
The hotel and surrounding area was beautiful and the walled kitchen garden is a lovely area to stroll through.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any babies in the surrounding rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scary H
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great food and country lodge atmosphere. My husband and I enjoyed a lovely lunch here for our wedding anniversary. As someone who has to have a gluten free diet I was delighted to discover that the staff at the pig would be happy to adapt meals where possible to suit my dietary requirements. My husband had the steak which he claimed was amazing. The menu is ever changing with a section of the menu basedon whathas been picked from the gardens that morning. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting a special occasion meal in relaxed country manor surroundings.

1  Thank NatalieRiley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!