“Should be Michelin starred”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Hong Kong, China
“Should be Michelin starred”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This is almost everything you want from a fine country establishment. Funky decor, excellent staff, knowledgeable, food based on the best local ingredients, an amazing wine list, the obligatory French sommelier and great service. I do hope this gets a star and then you can tell all those crazy young London souced trendy parents who bring screaming under-aged kids and huge baby prams to take them elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mister8888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Swanbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had booked for two nights at the Pig having read excellent reviews, they say you shouldn't believe everything you read in the press and they were right. Our room was expensive but disappointingly small with everything crammed into too small a space. On arrival we asked for the sky lights to be opened as it was very hot, the receptionist, who was lovely, went away and got the pole to reach them, opened them, and left, with the pole. That night the storms hit and unable to reach the sky lights, we and our bed were rained on quite spectacularly.
Dinner - we ordered Wild Mushroom salad to start, which had everything in it but mushroom - so I called the Maitre'd over and said I thought we had been given the wrong starters but no, there obviously weren't many mushrooms in the garden that day. if that is the case don't put it on the menu. The main course arrived, my husband had steak which arrived on a wooden board - the most unhygienic way of serving food with some kind of mayonnaise? My monkfish was so badly cooked it couldn't be enticed off the skin. Both came with a rocket salad? Wine was very expensive for very average wine.
Having drunk our quota of two tea bags in the room we requested some more, the receptionist asked if we could take them back to the room - er no so she begrudgingly went herself and just left them on the side by our previously used teabags in a glass as there was no where else to put them!
Surfice it to say we left after one night preferring to loose the £219 paid for the second night.
I have since emailed the Pig voicing my disappointment and have heard nothing so decided to put my review on Trip Advisor

Room Tip: Don't go in the stable block - way too small
8 Thank 550dairyfarmer1
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

An absolutely first class hotel in idyllic surroundings. We visited recently to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found all aspects of this hotel to be first class. The staff are very helpful and go out of their way to help. Food in the Restaurant is very good and the breakfast buffet also has plenty of choice. The location is peaceful and given the good weather that we enjoyed - the experience was excellent

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building if you can. There is a more modern annex, which probably would not c...
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wonderful feel to this establishment with very friendly attentive staff. Food was good, but not exceptional surprisingly ...
The ambience created was very special.
Loved the chill out areas, drawing room etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This was a treat to come & eat at The Pig from my son & his girlfriend as it's their favourite place .
I had no problem at all with the food & service apart from slight wine spillage on the table !
Unfortunately I was on the loo an hour after I got home for the next 3 hours. I was worried that maybe another customer had this problem so I sent an e mail - just to let the restaurant manager know what had happened . There was no accusation just something I thought they should be informed about .
I didn't even get a reply so I guess that was down to the admin . I would add that I hope to try the Pig by the Sea sometime soon .!

Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Julie L
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I have just returned from the most wonderful weekend at The Pig. It wasn't perfect but the staff try hard to make it so (thanks to Harry in the restaurant in particular) and the atmosphere is so relaxed and the environment so quirkily fantastic that the stress just melts away. We stayed in a hideaway room, Tamworth, which was decorated in a way I wish I could decorate my own bedroom and bathroom! The attention to detail was just great - from the books on bee keeping and pig keeping to the little notebook and super soft fluffy towels. The food was a little hit and miss - some of the best pork we have ever had, the meat, veg and eggs were so fresh and tasty but some of the pudding combinations just didn't work. However, when we didn't like something we were offered an alternative with no quibbling at all.

The rooms are expensive but the food and wine are reasonable and if you are looking for an instant de stress this place is hard to beat.

Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We go to Brockenhurst every year for a weeks' break and we always make sure that we have at least one meal (preferably two - one at lunch time, and one in the evening) at The Pig at Brockenhurst. The hotel itself is amazing - full of quirky features like the wellington boots lined up in the hall, to the library with its comfy sofas, and then the most impressive outdoor fireplace and pizza oven with outdoor bar - there's nowhere else like it. We had first class service from Jack, who was very entertaining and treated us extremely well. The food is lovely from the home-baked bread to the Bath Chap. It is a little pricey, but worth every penny for the special service, wonderful surroundings and amazing flavours of the food. The cocktails are fab too - served in glasses which are all different! Our favourite part of the hotel is the beautiful conservatory, which is full of plants and herbs - really worth a visit just for that. Then after your meal, you can sit outside on the patio or sit on the two-person swing and just enjoy the garden. You must go!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Lime Wood Hotel
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,548 reviews

Been to The Pig? Share your experiences!