“Fabulous stay!”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We went to this hotel on our honeymoon 38 years ago! it's changed but is amazing. The rooms are great, The service is excellent and the food in the Manor restaurant is to die for!

My wife had a massage and I just relaxed around the beautiful pool. The service extended to helping me start my old car and get it to the right specialist garage nearby (the car we bought when we got married - it was 8 yrs old then!).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
JRHJ, General Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Thank you for your very kind review following your stay with us and many congratulations on 38 years of marriage! You must have indeed seen many changes to the hotel since your Honeymoon night and I am delighted they were positive.

My colleague certainly didn’t wake up and envisage he would be pushing your lovely Triumph back into life later that morning but was of course only too happy to help and I am pleased you managed to resolve the problem and find your way home safely.

We are very grateful of your kind praise towards the hotel and team and look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Ever since my first stay last year I have raved about this place,I don't often go back anywhere for the fear of a let down but I have just returned from my 3rd visit.
After finding the place last year to be outstanding I was forced to write my first review ever,after my second visit a few weeks ago I didn't feel there was anything to add but the service was definitely not the same in some areas.I was with 3 others and none of them were offered to be shown around the spa/hydrotherapy area or given any advice/tips.
However as I knew I was due to visit again with one of my oldest and dearest friends I decided to not pass judgement and wait and see. I really wanted it to be amazing for her as it had been my first trip.
It was the little touches that make the difference..the offers of assistance with luggage and allowing you to check in early and leave late making full use of the spa.
The rooms both this time and last extremely comfortable and spacious,couldn't be faulted,requests such as foam pillows or ice were prompt.
The hydrotherapy and spa were amazing but at times a little noisy and crowded this had not been the case before. Water and cups in the hydrotherapy area didn't seem as readily available as it should perhaps be as in other spas you are encouraged to drink plenty.(take a plastic cup with you from the changing rooms to use at the fountain)

The waiting staff in the manor restaurant although extremely busy on the Saturday night were charming and polite...brushing away breadcrumbs between courses even! There was quite a delay for the main course but a champagne sorbet to make up for it. Filling up water glasses without being asked was not as obvious this time but I understand they were exceptionally busy with a function room .
On the Sunday although quieter not quite the same from the young waiter either,however most standards remain excellent.
The food was amazing but being on a package with all meals included it did seem rather mean that several of the dishes then carried a supplement charge. Breakfast again on both mornings excellent.
The Thai resaturant was also good although choice seemed limited (perhaps it is because I was there only a few weeks ago though) and again cannot fault the staff.
One person that was outstanding (and indeed was on my first visit over a year ago) is Monika in the boutique,she has such an eclectic and interesting array of jewellery and an amazingly flattering selection of swim/sun wear. Just walking in is like greeting an old friend and also as if you have your own persoanl stylist! She will tell you with absolute tact how something suits you or not and her judgement is spot on,twice I have spent more than the cost of my stay when I only meant to browse but have never been disappointed. The shop was also the highlight of the stay for my friend along with the hydrotherapy experience.
Overall as usual an amazing experience but definitely something missing since my first visit ,maybe the younger staff including the girl on reception aren't quite as experienced and perhaps lack that little bit extra that has been there on previous stays.I will continue to recommend it but perhaps not quite as highly so that friends aren't disappointed as I can see that the service can vary.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your much valued feedback following your latest visit to Careys Manor.

I am always delighted to read about our guests who return time and time again and find this level of constructive feedback very useful in ensuring that we are maintaining our high levels of customer service.

It is of paramount importance to us that we deliver consistently exceptional hospitality in all areas and I would like to assure you that I will be sharing your feedback with team so that we may heighten focus and tend to any training required.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon where I am sure you will receive nothing but our very best attention.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Unfortunately, following a perfect first visit, our second visit was not as fantastic. Last time, I decided to review based on the fact that it was perfect and gave it a 5/5.
We were given a beautiful room, which we very much appreciated, but it was a shame that the service did not match. I'm writing this review in the hope that the extremely good management will address the service with reception and the restaurant staff in question.
The person on reception did not seem to know the area at all as I assume she was an exchange student learning English.
We ate in the Thai restaurant, as we'd had a wonderful meal there the last time. The staff were useless unfortunately. They forgot to bring us crackers to start with - and then forgot our drinks. We were sitting there for half an hour, and the waitress apologised but her tone suggested that we should feel sorry for her... er... no - it's not the cheapest or the best Thai restaurant in the country, so actually, I don't feel sorry for waitresses who make such blunders
The crackers then arrived WITH our food and drinks... We decided that there would be no point in waiting another half an hour for a bottle of wine (with about 4 other couples in the restaurant), so ended up sticking with beer. The food was good, but in my opinion, this time didn't match the prices charged compared to other local restaurants.
Unfortunately, being there for just one night, dinner is rather an important feature, and because this didn't go at all well, I'm scoring Carey's Manor a 2 this time for such shoddy service.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmachisit2009
JRHJ, General Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

I am extremely disappointed to learn that your return visit to Careys Manor has left you feeling so very different from your first. I was most shocked to read that you found the service from both reception and the Zen Garden to be below par as we have always enjoy great feedback towards our dedicated and friendly team.

The young lady on reception you refer to has recently been welcomed to the team at Careys Manor and since her appointment has made fantastic progress, receiving very positive feedback from our guests. She is a full time and much valued member of the team and now she is settled into her role, will be introduced to the area fully so that she may make recommendations and offer guidance on the local area to our guests.

My most sincere apologies for the disappointments you encountered with your meal in the Zen Garden, you detail a meal experience far from our usual standard and I will be discussing your feedback with our Food Services Manager.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again where I am confident we can restore your initial rating score and your faith in our level of hospitality.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

A lovely hotel in a beautiful area. Garden rooms are very nice with a really comfortable bed and the best pillows I think I have ever had in any hotel. Good to have a small patio to sit out on a nice day. The staff were all excellent and gave 5 star service. The pool is good although its a shame there isn't room for more loungers/chairs. We ate dinner and lunch in the french restaurant which was very good as was breakfast. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your very kind review of your recent stay at Careys Manor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your break with us and do hope we will see you back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Great location, close for wonderful walks in the countryside. Easy parking close to rooms which were airy, bright and immaculately clean. The hotel is surrounded by beautiful gardens and there are amazing Spa and pool facilities. Make sure you check out the shop on site really unique gifts and clothing. The restaurants Thia and French both deserve a mention, but best of all great service, all the staff welcoming, very polite and helpful. Everything you need for a fabulous two day break. Couldn't find fault.
Will book again and take the family.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for the very complimentary review of your Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa experience. Your kind words are greatly appreciated and we do hope we will have the pleasure of being able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Our initial impression was tainted by the fact that the hotel is right on the main road, which is not the impression given by the pictures. However, things improved almost immediately as the luggage and check-in service was handled superbly.

The various extensions that have been made to the original Manor house have done it no favours and give a very 'business hotel' feel to parts of the building. We were in an Oakwood room and I have to say that I was expecting something a little better. Nothing obviously wrong, just no wow factor, and the bathroom was disappointingly small with a poor shower.

We were on a DBB package for 2 nights and ate in the Manor restaurant both nights. On the first night, a Friday, the food was good but the service extremely slow. On the second night the service was good and the food reasonable. In terms of quality, nothing obviously wrong but we were expecting the 2 rosette restaurant to deliver the 'exceptional dining' promised by the website and it fell somewhat short. Breakfast on both mornings was good, if a little crowded on the Sunday.

The spa was very good with nice pools and we had 2 excellent treatments.

The location is very convenient, being close to Lymington and with some lovely walks close by.

All in all, no regrets about staying here but we won't remember it as somewhere special.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Squiggle556

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay at Careys Manor. Your constructive feedback is much appreciated as we strive to improve upon what we offer at every opportunity.

We are keen to ensure that we always exceed expectations, with a team dedicated to delivering first class service and exceptional food, with help from our many local suppliers.
We are in the heart of the New Forest; 5 minutes walk from the hotel finds you in an abundance of open landscape and Forestry where the New Forest ponies roam free and the chance to see much wildlife and natural beauty is available.

I am dreadfully disappointed that you will hold no lasting memories of your stay with us but do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have stayed at Careys Manor 3 times now and I am always impressed with the quality of the service offered. The staff are utterly charming and put other hotels i've been to in the shade. The spa is wonderful as well and the breakfast is delicious. Keep up the good work Careys!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
JRHJ, General Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your much valued feedback of your recent stay at Careys Manor. Your very kind praise towards the team is greatly appreciated and it’s a real pleasure to learn that this was your third visit.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the future.

James Hiley-Jones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!