“Fantastic weekend - great spa”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic weekend - great spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a weekend spa break, and we were both very impressed. The spa was by far the best we have ever visited, and the service was amazing. As others have commented, the hotel (room) was only average - but it was adequate. We ate in the Zen (Thai) restaurant as part of our all inclusive deal, and the food was superb, both at dinner and lunch. The breakfast choice was also extremely good. What makes this place special is the attention to detail from the staff, and the relaxed atmosphere of the spa, with first rate facilities. We will definitely be returning in 2014.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your brilliant feedback following your recent spa break at Careys Manor & SenSpa. I am thrilled to hear you had a fantastic time and really pleased to receive such wonderful praise about all aspects of your stay and spa experience. SenSpa is fast becoming renowned for offering world class facilities and treatments and so its great to hear that you too found it to be excellent in all respects.

Thank you also for your praise about the staff and particularly commenting on their attention to detail. All our staff are very dedicated and continually aspire to providing a first class service and will do everything possible to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable. Our brigade of chefs will also be delighted to hear you enjoyed all the delicious menus on offer.

I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thomas & The Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Polish first
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Had a full day in the Spa and a 1 night stay in hotel for my wife's 40th. The Spa was fab (hydro upgrade recommended) which has a lovely hydro therapy pool (bubbles, jets and massaging water fountain things) some great experience showers that have thunder and lightening etc as well as saunas, steam rooms etc. With the upgrade you also get the use of the relaxation and quiet rooms upstairs which were ideal for after a fantastic lunch in the zen restaurant. The Spa staff were also fantastic, very attentive and there was always a member available as and when you wanted one but you didn't really notice them otherwise. Both my wife and I had various treatments which were good but maybe seemed a little pricey. The Hotel itself had great communal areas with a lovely entrance/ reception area and a grand lounge with a beautiful inglenook fireplace. However once you leave these areas you are soon just in a standard hotel corridor leading to a standard hotel room which to be honest disappointed me for the money that I had spent.(£220 for 1 night) (we had stayed in a much much cheaper B&B the night before which had a much nicer room and en-suite).
We had a very nice evening meal in the french bistro restaurant Le Blaireau. Decor a little quirky, but food and service were great.
So all in all I can thoroughly recommend the Spa, but just don't get too excited about the hotel rooms, nothing that terrible but was expecting a bit more after such a nice experience at the Spa.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the trouble to describe the highlights of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a wonderful time and that our award winning spa exceeded all your expectations. SenSpa is fast becoming renowned for offering world class facilities and treatments and so it’s great to hear that you too found the spa and all it has to offer to be a really fabulous experience. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

dorset uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel consistently gives service above on beyond the call of duty -from the workmen to managers, the same courtesy and care is afforded to you -nothing is ever too much trouble. The staff all give the impression that not only should they be looking after you well but that they really want too.
The food, spa, rooms are fantastic at a price that means that you can keep going back for more!

Room Tip: All are lovely
Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for your kind praise towards the hotel, the spa and the team. It’s always very rewarding to hear when guests have been really impressed by everyone’s friendliness and helpfulness. I will be sharing your comments with them and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards
LONDON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Went for a couple of nights away to try out the spa. Decided to splash out and take a suite.

Started badly by room not being ready at 12 in spite if an empty car park and no sign of other guests.

Went to the spa which was ok looking old and tired with various bits not working and frankly pathetic changing rooms (men's at least).

As I said the room was a major disappointment. Bathroom tiny and impossible
To shower without wetting the entire bathroom.

There was a garish felt wallpaper with cutout figurines of English kings and queens - yuk. The sitting room was functional but uncomfortable. Lighting in bedroom inadequate and as I said wi-fi non existent in the room.

Dinner at the French bistro was a MAJOR disappointment. Particularly poor potted shrimp and the 'jus' which came with the lamb had more to don with bisto granules than any reduction of meat juices.

Breakfast was very good, the common areas of the hotel were nice and comfortable.

Overall not recommended - especially when taking into account the elevated price and high expectations set by the website.

I did full in a feedback form on checkout but lack of contact is indicative of a place in serious decline. If this is what a top independent hotel is like (as claimed in reception with a plaque) then I suspect I will stick to chains which usually live up to expectations.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank WJOSHUK
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review following your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I cannot stress enough that we always endeavour to ensure our guests have a pleasant experience whilst staying with us. I am, however, pleased that you found the old Manor House part of the hotel to be attractive and comfortable. Our Head Chef in the Manor Restaurant will also be delighted to hear that you enjoyed the breakfasts.

We do pride ourselves on offering a flawless service and outstanding facilities and among our multiple awards were voted by The Independent as being one of the ‘Top 50 British Hotels in 2013’. More recently we have been voted ‘Best Spa Hotel in the South’ in the 2013 Good Spa Guide Awards and also reached the finalist stage at the World Luxury Spa Awards for the Best Hotel Spa 2013. The aim of so many of these awards is to encourage and raise service standards within the luxury hotel industry with voting based on facilities and service excellence and, most importantly, is cast by hotel guests. Winning or reaching the finalist stage we hope is testament to our commitment to the delivery of world class spa facilities, luxurious bedrooms and delicious dining options which all combine to make Careys Manor & SenSpa in the New Forest so special.

I am very sorry that your stay with us was a huge disappointment and that we clearly did not meet your expectations. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future whereupon we will take every step possible to ensure that your stay is more enjoyable.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This was my second time visiting and i will definitely be visiting again. Amazing place with a lovely relaxing atmosphere. By far the best spa i have visited.
I arrived at 11am and the room was ready for us. The staff are always helpful and always smiling :)

See you soon :)

Room Tip: You don't really need the upgrade - the standard rooms are great!
1 Thank RinksB
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your lovely review following your return visit to Careys Manor & SenSpa. Its brilliant to hear that although it was your second visit, we still exceeded all your expectations. Great to hear too that you were again impressed by the hotel’s facilities as well as the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

It was my birthday treat from my wife, this visit, and it so didn't disappoint. From the get go, we loved every minute of it. We’d bought a hydro upgrade, so although we couldn't take our room till 3pm, we were in the spa by 10am. There, there’s a great pool, sauna, Jacuzzi and steam room in the non-upgrade area, but for £70 extra, we were able to avail of the really rather gorgeous extra part, where there’s a great bubbling pool, a crystal steam room, an ‘experience shower’ (all sort of storm settings, complete with thunder and lightning), and, upstairs, more relaxing areas. So we spent a few hours there, had a great Thai lunch in the Zen Garden eatery, then had massages and a mind-body class (a mixture of pilates, yoga and Tai Chi). Our room turned out to be gorgeous (with a Happy Birthday balloon and a box of lovely chocs for me!), and later, the restaurant was amazingly good; they had no problem with us having two starters each rather than starters and mains (we weren't massively hungry). The scallop dish especially was superb. Breakfast was great too, and we went off out into the world relaxed and refreshed.

One niggle was the decor in the restaurant; it looked like the sort of room your office would send you for a boring conference, no intimacy, no beauty, just bland pink decor and unsuitable lighting. It didn’t look much better by daylight.

It’s also not massively cheap, Careys; for one night with, admittedly, lunch, dinner and various other extras, it came in at £577...

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review following your recent stay at Careys Manor & SenSpa. I’m really thrilled your birthday treat was such a huge success and that you left us feeling relaxed and refreshed. Thank you for mentioning all those extra special touches we endeavour to offer our guests celebrating a special occasion and also for describing how you spent your day in our award winning spa and what you loved most. Our brigade of chefs will also be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback about their superb menus.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Careys Manor & SenSpa again in the future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Careys Manor on Saturday November 9th - it was a treat for my husband's Birthday and we really enjoyed it.
On arrival we tucked into some lunch in the French restaurant. As my husband is half Corsican, he was pleased that the waiter was able to speak French with him. After this we checked in to the spa, and I paid to upgrade us so we could use the hydrotherapy area. I'm so pleased I did this as some of the spa facilities in this area were amazing. There was a unique 'experience' shower, a couple of fantastic relaxation rooms and great water jets in the pool. My husband also had a wonderful and relaxing one hour massage. Our only criticism was that the spa area could get a little crowded at times. But another positive was that you could buy the Spa products from the spa shop, and they were all reasonably priced.
After our spa relaxation we went to our room, a 'Knightwood Double' which was lovely and the hotel manager on duty had a left a Happy Birthday note and balloon for my husband - a great touch.
We enjoyed a scrumptious meal in the Thai restaurant in the evening. The food was authentic and served quickly - we were starving after all the relaxation so it was very welcome. The restaurant staff prepared a 'Happy Birthday' dessert plate for my husband and also gave us a celebratory glass of fizz each. The little touches made a great weekend really special.
After a wonderful day and evening we then had a good night of sleep in the extremely comfy bed, topped off my a full English breakfast the next morning.
I think we'll be back again for a treat weekend in the future!

Room Tip: We had a 'Knightwood Double' room. It was spacious, clean and modern. The bed was really com...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!