“Way overpriced”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Way overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had stayed in the hotel in the early 80's and was doing a weeks nostalgia holiday at the Spa. Sadly my "5 star" room was very small and was the farthest away from the reception. I had told them that I had a spine condition and that I needed a firm bed, non smoking with a nice outlook. I also told them that I was looking forward to the Spa, so knowing that and booking 3 weeks in advance, I was placed a long distance from the Spa and restaurants.

I was surrounded by people smoking on the balcony, which overlooked a car park and the industrial looking back of the hotel. I also found dried sick on the floor and back of the loo, and mildew around the bath. I asked to be moved, they said they'd look into it; I was moved on my last day. They also knew I was taking a yachting trip and hacking. Having told me that they would arrange the hotel car for me, they changed their minds, half an hour before I due to leave, on two occasions. Out in the sticks, it took a long time to get a taxi and very expensive.

There was no wifi and no one who could make it work for me. I later found out that as I'd booked online, I could have connected with the code given on booking. No one there knew.

The three restaurants were a bit overkill, all mostly empty all week and the French restaurant was awful; overcooked and chewy lamb - which I was not allowed to ask how it was cooked - overcooked veg and tasteless. The main restaurant was lovely food but a couple who arrived after me, ordered, ate and paid for 3 courses when I was still waiting for my second course.

The spa was good, the massages very good but food and spa were all extras so coming in at over £1,500, I would never go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster, still they are in very average rooms but quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank satiate001
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide feedback on your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. We do pride ourselves on offering a flawless service and outstanding facilities and among our multiple awards are delighted to have recently been voted ‘Best Spa Hotel in the South’ in the 2013 Good Spa Guide Awards. We were also voted by The Independent as being one of the ‘Top 50 Hotels in the UK 2013’ and at the World Luxury Spa Awards were finalists for the Best Hotel Spa 2013. The aim of so many of these awards is to encourage and raise service standards within the luxury hotel industry with voting based on facilities and service excellence and, most importantly, is cast by hotel guests. Winning or reaching the finalist stage we hope is testament to our commitment to the delivery of world class spa facilities, luxurious bedrooms and delicious dining options which all combine to make Careys Manor & SenSpa in the New Forest so special.

We do take seriously all guests feedback, both positive and negative, and I can assure you I will be speaking to the staff concerned about the particular points of concern you have raised. These are totally unacceptable and will be addressed. I am, however, delighted that you did enjoy the spa and found the treatments to be excellent.

It is always a pleasure to hear of our guests returning and so I am very sorry that your stay with us was a huge disappointment and that we did not meet your expectations. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future whereupon we will take every step possible to ensure that your stay is more enjoyable. If you do ever plan to return, please contact me directly beforehand and I will be happy to assist with your booking to ensure your experience of the hotel and spa is a far greater success.

Thomas & The Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Great service from start to finish and fabulous facilities.

We were on an overnight spa package and able to make use of the facilities the 2nd day, in fact is was hard tearing ourselves away it was so relaxing. Dinner and breakfast were brilliant and the staff were very attentive.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

We are delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and thank you for taking the trouble to write such a glowing review. It’s always heart-warming to receive such wonderful feedback about our hotel & spa facilities, the authentic and fabulous Thai food in the Zen Garden Restaurant and also our very caring and dedicated team of staff. Our Executive Chef in the hotel will also be pleased to hear your praise about the excellent breakfast and dinner served in our 2 rosette Manor Restaurant.

Great to hear too that our unique spa offering world class facilities, luxury treatments undertaken by Thai and fully Thai-trained staff provided you with a truly relaxing spa experience making it the best spa day ever.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We spent two nights at Carey's Manor and had a wonderful time. We loved the personal touches such as being shown around the hotel and spa on arrival.
The food in the restaurant was great particularly as I am vegetarian and there was a whole separate menu.
The spa was very good.
We would definitely stay there again but they might like to think about an express checkout facility and satellite television to complete a faultless experience.

Dear Guests

It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us recently and we are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write such a fabulous review and particularly for mentioning some of the personal touches that made your visit that much more special. Our talented Executive Chef will also be very pleased to hear that you were delighted to see a separate vegetarian menu offering many different dishes to choose from and all tasting wonderful. So glad you also had the opportunity to visit the spa during your stay which offers a lovely calming and uplifting retreat.

I am also very grateful for your observations for improving checkout and the bedrooms. We always welcome suggestions from guests and will endeavour to improve the hotel’s facilities and service as much as we possibly can.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Sutton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We returned to this hotel recently having spent our honeymoon there in 1986. We had a wonderful time and were in the same four poster room that we had 30 years ago. The spa is a great addition and we would recommend upgrading to use the hydrotherapy pool and experience showers. All the staff were helpful and courteous but a special mention goes to Anna, our waitress in the Manor restaurant. Overall a lovely break and we will return next year.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests

Firstly I would like to congratulate you both on your 30th wedding anniversary. I am overjoyed that you chose to return to Careys Manor Hotel to celebrate such a special occasion and that you had another truly wonderful stay with us.

Thank you for such positive feedback about the addition of SenSpa and your recommendation to other guests to upgrade to one of our unique spa experience days which includes use of the hydrotherapy pool as well as a number of other wonderful relaxing and revitalising areas. If you are planning a return visit, not to be missed also are the luxury treatments undertaken by Thai and fully Thai-trained staff and the fabulously tasty authentic Thai cuisine in our Zen Garden Restaurant.

Thank you also for your kind compliments about our team of staff and in particular for your special praise about Anna who I will be sharing your lovely comments with.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I chose Careys Manor to treat my boyfriend to an afternoon tea for his birthday. I based my choice on previous reviews and the tempting website and are happy to say we were not let down. We found the service great, the waiter was always around to top up our tea and all the sandwiches and cakes and scones were delicious, we wished the scones could be bigger though, but we are just greedy and they tasted so yummy. The fresh homemade jam and clotted cream were very good aswell!! The lounge where we had the afternoon was lovely and cosy with a wooden fire and scented candles and it was the perfect atmosphere for a relaxing afternoon after a brisk walk around the new forest. We would recommend this afternoon tea and would come back again, my boyfriend said it was a great birthday treat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback following your recent Afternoon Tea with us and particularly for choosing Careys Manor to mark the occasion of your boyfriend’s birthday. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and really appreciate you taking the trouble to give such a lovely description of all the delicious delicacies on offer and the lounge area where afternoon tea is served. As you mention, our location is perfect for exploring the New Forest on foot or by bicycle and what better way to end your afternoon by treating yourself to one of our fabulous traditional afternoon teas.

We very much looking forward to seeing you again soon.

bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I treated my sisters to a day at the spa with lunch and afternoon tea. It was such a fantastic day. The thermal pool was hilarious fun, as were the showers. The quality of the food was great although we arrived too late for breakfast which we had paid for and despite telling them the time of arrival, we were told they had finished serving. The focus for the staff is on making money and we were rushed through lunch and then through some of the treatments which were ridiculously expensive. I would love to go back again but it is just too expensive to be realistic but a lovely day as a one off treat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your taking the trouble to write a review of your recent visit to SenSpa. I am delighted to hear that you and your sisters had a fantastic day and really enjoyed our award winning hydrotherapy facilities and our fabulous authentic Thai cuisine.

I really do hope you are able to return again in the future and would just like to mention that if you subscribe to our newsletter you will be one of the first to hear about our special offers. On our website we also advertise monthly special spa packages which include a 1 hour treatment as well as full use of all our world class facilities which offer excellent value for money and a great opportunity to treat yourself more often.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We booked a mid-week break at this hotel. We chose a room in the main house. On arrival our car was parked for us and our luggage brought to our room, which made a nice to start to our break. We enjoyed using the hotel spa on the first night. The second evening my husband treated us to a birthday treatment in the hydro area. We would recommend having an upgrade to include the Senspa area. We almost had the area to ourselves, we enjoyed the hydro pool plus all the steam and sauna rooms. The ice room was fun too!! We ate in the Zen Restaurant which wasnt the cheapest, but was a lovely meal with beautiful presentations and surroundings, so would recommend. The hotel is situated in a handy area for the New Forest. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guests

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your mid-week break with us. Thank you for your fabulous feedback and, in particular, for describing so many of the good aspects of your stay. It's great to hear you had a wonderful time in SenSpa, our award winning spa with world class facilities which very few other hotels in the New Forest are able to offer. I will also be sharing your kind comments with my staff who are very dedicated to ensuring our guests are made to feel welcome and enjoy their stay.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Thomas & The Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!