We stayed at Carey’s Manor in a Knightwood room. I've given it a 3 but really it's a 3.5 - better than a 3 because of the positives but not quite a 4.
The staff – everyone we came into contact with was friendly, professional and courteous. It’s rare to find a hotel where all the staff are so pleasant.
The spa – the spa area looked lovely, and the smell of lemongrass as you walked through really made it feel as though you were in Thailand. Although I didn’t get to use the area or have any treatments as I’m pregnant we did make use of the pool which was very pleasant in the evening and in the morning when it was quiet.
Le Blaireau – we had a wonderful dinner here, and again the staff were all lovely.
The room – we had booked a Knightwood room which is classed as a small double, so we knew it wasn’t going to be big. Had we been staying more than one night we would have upgraded but we weren’t expecting to spend that much time in our room and just wanted a cheapish break. The room was extremely small, but what disappointed us was the décor. The room was very dated and not what we would expect from a luxury spa hotel. The net curtains looked old and yellowed, the furniture was cheap and shabby. The bed linen was ok but the whole room felt worn and uncared for. The shower was very poor.
We have stayed at much cheaper hotels who have managed not only to have rooms which are better decorated, but have included little touches which make you feel like you are staying somewhere special. If Carey’s Manor had decorated the rooms in a similar fashion to the Thai spa, with simple clean finishes and decent furniture (maybe a bit less given the size of the room or better laid out) then the rooms would have a real wow factor. As it was it was a bit ‘Best Western’.
Also, the pillows were dreadful.
The public areas – the bar is very odd like a portable bar. They didn’t have anything on draught and the soft drinks were all warm. We got a couple of drinks and sat in the lounge area but there was a wedding party who took over reception, the bar area and the lounge which meant it wasn’t really comfortable to stay there without feeling like you were gatecrashing.
We thought we would try the swimming pool, however it was very busy and there was nowhere to sit, or even put our towels and gowns where they wouldn’t get wet apart from a small stool outside the steam room. We had a quick dip, and then walked through the cold corridors, wet, back to our room where we spent the afternoon reading!
We had a nice one night stay, and found it relaxing, but it wasn’t luxurious. Would we go back? I’m not sure but probably not as I don’t think even the upgraded rooms look particularly special and the public areas all look a bit tired. It’s a shame as the spa is so special and the staff all seem great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Careys Manor Hotel and Senspa is a luxury 4 star spa hotel set in the heart of the beautiful New Forest. This highly commended hotel has been voted Hotel Spa of the Year by the British Beauty Awards and awarded Gold by the Green Business Tourism Scheme. With three restaurants, there is plenty to choose from - whether you prefer fine dining in our Cambium restaurant, a relaxed atmosphere in Blaireaus French Bistro or want to enjoy authentic Thai cuisine in the Zen Garden Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Careys Manor Hotel And Senspa
- Careys Manor Hotel & Sen Brockenhurst
- Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa Brockenhurst, New Forest
- Careys Manor Spa Senspa
- Careys Hotel Manor
- Careys Manor Brockenhurst