I stayed here recently with my partner as a birthday present to her. In general the stay was very nice indeed, the hotel had English character, was generally well maintained, the staff were very friendly indeed (in particular - multi-lingual and vastly experienced concierge Luis was fantastic!) and generally a high level of service was experienced throughout.
The hotel's location in the New Forest is amazing and also it is on the rail-link to London Waterloo which for non-car Londoners like me means it is easily accessible. It is a short (10 minute) walk to the station.
We took advantage of the SenSpa upgrade (which gives you entrance to a hydrotherapy pool, experience showers and different types of Saunas and steamrooms that are more spacious and luxurious than those of the 'public' spa area. We enjoyed this very much and thought it was just about worth the £35 per head upgrade fee.
The Manor restaurant was lovely - there was a live pianist which made for an incredible ambience. The only trouble is when he stopped playing the ambience changed dramatically - could have done with a little more subtle lighting, more amber / candle lighting for example and it would have been just perfect. We had the 'Winter Warmer' menu which is the set menu you get as part of the Spa Package deal. We found the food to be nothing less than fantastic and the service equally up to par. The management also gave us a complimentary glass each of Prosecco which was much appreciated and a lovely table - thank you very much.
Cons - generally expensive for what it is. Room rates are at the top end of my normal budgets at a £200 + per night for a couple - which I have to say didn't represent entirely fantastic value for money. We paid £11 each for a glass of champagne and £10 each for a glass of red wine in the restaurant and ended up with a further bill of £150 on top of our stay (2 days) at the end and we didn't at all go 'mad' at all.
Because I work in 5 star hotels of course I noticed all the other little things which they forgot - such as no salt/pepper or condiments, tea spoon with the room service breakfast.
There are not enough loungers / chairs in the pool area and they get full up very quickly.
The hotel room (we stayed in at least - Manor room) was small and didn't have a minibar nor fridge. I've stayed in similar 4* hotels in the past and this has generally been the norm, even one in Bath where they provided fresh milk for the guests to make tea - not the yucky UHT in the rooms at this hotel. The bed also wasn't great - the mattress was in need of being changed.
The worst service we had all weekend was in the Sen Restaurant which was a little slow and also a little 'abrupt' in terms of their manner. But really, it wasn't that bad at all just not up to the same high standards as the rest of the hotel.
Overall we had a lovely time and came back to life in London very rejuvenated which definitely was the intention.
Would I stay again? It didn't impress me that much. Would I recommend it? Definitely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Careys Manor Hotel and Senspa is a luxury 4 star spa hotel set in the heart of the beautiful New Forest. This highly commended hotel has been voted Hotel Spa of the Year by the British Beauty Awards and awarded Gold by the Green Business Tourism Scheme. With three restaurants, there is plenty to choose from - whether you prefer fine dining in our Cambium restaurant, a relaxed atmosphere in Blaireaus French Bistro or want to enjoy authentic Thai cuisine in the Zen Garden Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Priceline and LateRooms so you can book your Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Careys Manor Hotel And Senspa
- Careys Manor Hotel & Sen Brockenhurst
- Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa Brockenhurst, New Forest
- Careys Manor Spa Senspa
- Careys Hotel Manor
- Careys Manor Brockenhurst