“Lovely Spa Hotel in a beautiful part of the UK”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“Lovely Spa Hotel in a beautiful part of the UK”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here recently with my partner as a birthday present to her. In general the stay was very nice indeed, the hotel had English character, was generally well maintained, the staff were very friendly indeed (in particular - multi-lingual and vastly experienced concierge Luis was fantastic!) and generally a high level of service was experienced throughout.

The hotel's location in the New Forest is amazing and also it is on the rail-link to London Waterloo which for non-car Londoners like me means it is easily accessible. It is a short (10 minute) walk to the station.

We took advantage of the SenSpa upgrade (which gives you entrance to a hydrotherapy pool, experience showers and different types of Saunas and steamrooms that are more spacious and luxurious than those of the 'public' spa area. We enjoyed this very much and thought it was just about worth the £35 per head upgrade fee.

The Manor restaurant was lovely - there was a live pianist which made for an incredible ambience. The only trouble is when he stopped playing the ambience changed dramatically - could have done with a little more subtle lighting, more amber / candle lighting for example and it would have been just perfect. We had the 'Winter Warmer' menu which is the set menu you get as part of the Spa Package deal. We found the food to be nothing less than fantastic and the service equally up to par. The management also gave us a complimentary glass each of Prosecco which was much appreciated and a lovely table - thank you very much.

Cons - generally expensive for what it is. Room rates are at the top end of my normal budgets at a £200 + per night for a couple - which I have to say didn't represent entirely fantastic value for money. We paid £11 each for a glass of champagne and £10 each for a glass of red wine in the restaurant and ended up with a further bill of £150 on top of our stay (2 days) at the end and we didn't at all go 'mad' at all.

Because I work in 5 star hotels of course I noticed all the other little things which they forgot - such as no salt/pepper or condiments, tea spoon with the room service breakfast.

There are not enough loungers / chairs in the pool area and they get full up very quickly.

The hotel room (we stayed in at least - Manor room) was small and didn't have a minibar nor fridge. I've stayed in similar 4* hotels in the past and this has generally been the norm, even one in Bath where they provided fresh milk for the guests to make tea - not the yucky UHT in the rooms at this hotel. The bed also wasn't great - the mattress was in need of being changed.

The worst service we had all weekend was in the Sen Restaurant which was a little slow and also a little 'abrupt' in terms of their manner. But really, it wasn't that bad at all just not up to the same high standards as the rest of the hotel.

Overall we had a lovely time and came back to life in London very rejuvenated which definitely was the intention.

Would I stay again? It didn't impress me that much. Would I recommend it? Definitely.

Room Tip: Manor rooms are not very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Have just returned home following another delightful holiday at Carey's Manor. From the moment I picked up the phone to Dawn in Reservations the service was outstanding. Dawn always processes my reservation with speed and efficiency, e-mailing conifrmation which gives peace of mind. From arrival to departure all members of staff gave excellent service, we enjoyed good food in the Zen Garden and Manor restaurants - it was lovely to see Anna again in the Manor, she is always kind and courteous. Duty managers are always available which is reassuring and special thanks to Damien who always seemed to be behind me whenever I turned round and ensured all my requirements were attended to. Careys is a wonderful place to stay, is situated in the lovely village of Brockenhurst and feels like a second home as we are lucky enough to have two or three breaks a year here. The rooms are clean and spacious and are well serviced. The Garden rooms are delightful, it is wonderful to be able to open the patio door and enjoy the shrubbery lined garden area. Thanks to all staff at Careys for another relaxing holiday. See you soon!!

Room Tip: Ground floor Garden rooms have small patio area to enjoy.
2 Thank Horseman9676
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. As returning and much valued guests your feedback is extremely important to us and I am overjoyed that we once again met your expectations and made this visit another relaxing and wonderful break.
I was also pleased to read your lovely comments about our staff. We are proud to have such a very dedicated and friendly team who always endeavour to make sure guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I am also pleased to read you also really liked the Garden Room with its spaciousness and facilities offered.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon. As you say we are located in the lovely village of Brockenhurst which is in the heart of the beautiful New Forest and easily accessible by train as well as road with plenty of lovely walks right on our doorstep.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had a work weekend away here recently. It was a busy night with a wedding and another function, so understandably food service was a bit slow, but having worked in the industry can appreciate this. The waiting staff could do with a bit more knowledge on what food they are bringing out, as he told us the brulee was the soup, to me an obvious error. Having said this Ruben the bar man, was excellent, worked really hard for our heavy drinking group all night and his cocktails were delicious! My spa treatment was great, and the healthsuite was lovely! Also had thai lunch which was very good. However the breakfast wasn't great, there needed to be more staff and they had barely any food, we had to keep asking the poor staff for more items. Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: Anything will be fine they are lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us following your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. We do take on board all feedback both positive and negative and so I am sorry to hear about the lapses in service and the breakfast in the restaurant. It was a particularly busy evening with two other functions taking place but this is still no excuse and I will raise this with the Restaurant Manager to ensure this does not happen again. I am however delighted that your overall experience of the hotel and staff was so positive and especially pleased that Ruben’s assistance in the bar was really appreciated and you enjoyed the cocktails he made for you. Great to hear too that you made the most of your work stay to visit our award winning authentic Thai spa and enjoyed one of our unrivalled treatments as well as sampling the delicious food served in the Zen Garden restaurant.
I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Perhaps one of our fabulous Spa Breaks would appeal to you ~ do checkout the website for details on our Spa Breaks or sign up to receive our Newsletters with details of new treatments and special offers.
With kind regards
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here for our 1st wedding anniversary/Babymoon and we could not have picked better!
The food was amazing, the rooms were amazing, the views were beautiful..We could not fault this hotel even if we wanted too :)
The staff from the minute we entered the hotel couldnt do enough for us. We arrived at 11am and even though booking in wasnt until 3pm our room was already available, we were informed we were by the carpark, so good for the car (I rolled my eyes thinking what a rubbish view) but when we got into the room the view was of the grounds and so beautiful.
We ate in the Thai restaurant on the Saturday evening and the food was amazing as was the Manor house restaurant on the Sunday evening!
We have honestly never had such a relaxing trip away.
I would recommend this hotel to anyway who is looking for a bit of luxury but not at ridiculous prices, to relax and get away from it all.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and recommendation to others following your recent stay with us at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. It’s extremely rewarding to hear when we have completely surpassed a guest’s expectations and impressed you with our facilities and service, especially when you have chosen our hotel to celebrate such a very special occasion.

I am delighted that you found your room attractive and enjoyed its outlook to our beautifully maintained hotel gardens. Our specialist Chefs in the Zen Garden will also be pleased to hear your fantastic praise about their exquisite Thai cuisine. Thank you also for mentioning all the highlights of your stay. I will pass your kind comments onto the staff who all take a genuine interest in our guests to ensure their stay is comfortable and relaxing and that they have everything they need. I very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at Carey’s Manor in a Knightwood room. I've given it a 3 but really it's a 3.5 - better than a 3 because of the positives but not quite a 4.

The positives
The staff – everyone we came into contact with was friendly, professional and courteous. It’s rare to find a hotel where all the staff are so pleasant.

The spa – the spa area looked lovely, and the smell of lemongrass as you walked through really made it feel as though you were in Thailand. Although I didn’t get to use the area or have any treatments as I’m pregnant we did make use of the pool which was very pleasant in the evening and in the morning when it was quiet.

Le Blaireau – we had a wonderful dinner here, and again the staff were all lovely.

The negatives
The room – we had booked a Knightwood room which is classed as a small double, so we knew it wasn’t going to be big. Had we been staying more than one night we would have upgraded but we weren’t expecting to spend that much time in our room and just wanted a cheapish break. The room was extremely small, but what disappointed us was the décor. The room was very dated and not what we would expect from a luxury spa hotel. The net curtains looked old and yellowed, the furniture was cheap and shabby. The bed linen was ok but the whole room felt worn and uncared for. The shower was very poor.

We have stayed at much cheaper hotels who have managed not only to have rooms which are better decorated, but have included little touches which make you feel like you are staying somewhere special. If Carey’s Manor had decorated the rooms in a similar fashion to the Thai spa, with simple clean finishes and decent furniture (maybe a bit less given the size of the room or better laid out) then the rooms would have a real wow factor. As it was it was a bit ‘Best Western’.

Also, the pillows were dreadful.

The public areas – the bar is very odd like a portable bar. They didn’t have anything on draught and the soft drinks were all warm. We got a couple of drinks and sat in the lounge area but there was a wedding party who took over reception, the bar area and the lounge which meant it wasn’t really comfortable to stay there without feeling like you were gatecrashing.

We thought we would try the swimming pool, however it was very busy and there was nowhere to sit, or even put our towels and gowns where they wouldn’t get wet apart from a small stool outside the steam room. We had a quick dip, and then walked through the cold corridors, wet, back to our room where we spent the afternoon reading!

We had a nice one night stay, and found it relaxing, but it wasn’t luxurious. Would we go back? I’m not sure but probably not as I don’t think even the upgraded rooms look particularly special and the public areas all look a bit tired. It’s a shame as the spa is so special and the staff all seem great.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us following your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us and that you found everyone to be friendly and welcoming. Lovely to hear also that you were able to visit our award winning spa and spend some time in the pool area though it’s a great shame you felt you could not experience any of the treatments due to your pregnancy. Included in the spa’s treatment range we do offer a specialised pregnancy massage for mums-to-be who are past the first trimester. Specially created, the well-needed full body oil massage provides the relaxation, support and calm that both mother and baby require during this special time.
Our Head Chef in Le Blaireau will be delighted to hear you enjoyed his authentic French cuisine and were well looked after by the staff. Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff. They are a very committed and friendly team who take a genuine interest in our guests to ensure their stay is comfortable and that they have everything they need.
I was however very sorry to learn of your disappointment towards the Knightwood Rooms and some of the public areas of the hotel but am very grateful for your feedback. Your feedback is important to us and will be taken on board in order to enhance everything we do to ensure our valued guests have an enjoyable their stay with us. With regards to the feather pillows, some guests do prefer hollow fibre filling and our Night Porters will always be very happy to swap the pillows to ensure guests of a comfortable and good night’s sleep.
I am sorry our hotel did not meet all your expectations and I really hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Reviewed 20 March 2014

To celebrate our wedding anniversary last weekend my husband and I spent two nights at Careys Manor.We have stayed here before on several occasions and once again were not disappointed. Our room and the meals we had in both Le Blaireau and the Manor restaurants were excellent and the whole atmosphere very relaxing. Upon returning home we discovered that my husband had left his medication in the bedside cabinet in our room, A telephone call to Careys resulted in the medication being found and posted to us without delay.Many thanks for sorting this out so quickly!

Room Tip: Room 45 offered plenty of space with a sofa and chair and table. Also had a good view over the garde...
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us. It’s really heart-warming to hear that you had another wonderful stay and that we once again exceeded your expectations. We also feel very honoured that you chose Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa as the venue to celebrate your wedding anniversary and therefore delighted that we successfully helped to make it an occasion to remember. Our brigade of Chefs will also be pleased to hear your kind compliments. We do also aim to create that home from home feeling ensuring you of a comfortable and relaxing stay and so it’s always satisfying for the team to hear these efforts are noticed.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I attended a small business meeting on the Saturday, but had booked in a night early to enjoy some quality time with my wife.
On our first night, we had dinner at the French-themed restaurant called Le Blaireau Bistro - they have a great menu using locally sourced ingredients, and we enjoyed friendly service and a beautiful meal. Our second evening saw us dining with our business colleagues in the main hotel - again, great service, and truly excellent food.
Rooms were very well appointed, and they have a wonderful spa - for a weekend break, or longer, you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Rooms are strung out along two wings, the room we had looked into a very pleasant garden courtyard...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us following your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. What a great idea to book in a night early to enjoy an evening with your wife before attending your business meeting. We are proud to be one of the few UK hotels to provide excellent business and conference facilities within a four-star country house hotel offering 3 very different dining options to choose from as well as a truly unique authentic Thai spa. Only last year we were voted in The Independent’s ‘Top 50 Best British Business Hotels’ awards adding to SenSpa’s multiple awards including winner of the Good Spa Guide Awards 2013 for ‘Best Spa in the UK: South East’ and European Health & Spa Awards 2013 UK Winner of ‘Best Hotel Spa’. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and services of the hotel and really appreciate your kind comments about the food and staff in our French bistro Le Blaireau and the Manor Restaurant in the hotel. All dishes are designed personally by our Head Chefs and they will be delighted to receive your compliments.
I very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future ~ maybe next time to enjoy a Spa Break and experience some of our unrivalled treatments.
With kind regards
Thomas & The Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!