“Overpriced for what is on offer”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were a party of five women, celebrating my sister's 60th birthday. My daughter and I arrived and were given the wrong room. Granted when we went to reception they did all they could to help us move. The room had seen better days but was spotlessly clean.
My niece and I are vegans and the hotel had been informed us this months in advance. When we all arrived for our booking in The Manor Restaurant on the Saturday evening, it was clear the chef had not taken the trouble to put himself out to do something for us. We had to choose from a very limited menu and they took all the non vegan ingredients out. My niece and I ended up with some wilted spinach and a few spears of griddled asparagus, no protein in any shape or form. Dessert was awful to say the least. There was nothing on the menu apart from sorbet and we had had that at lunch in another restaurant in the hotel. We were offered a soya milk raspberry rice pudding which was revolting. I have complained but to date have heard nothing in response from the hotel. Also complained on checking out. A lot of money for an awful meal. Will certainly not be going back and will tell friends to avoid. Very disappointing indeed and a lot of money paid for the week-end.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for a front facing ground floor room. Very dark. Rooms at the back are bright a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review following your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I cannot stress enough that we always endeavour to ensure our guests have a pleasant experience whilst staying with us. I am pleased that you found your room to be spotlessly clean, however, very sorry to hear about the problems you encountered in The Manor Restaurant. I do genuinely fully appreciate the disappointment and distress all this caused you and your niece and assure you that we do ordinarily do our utmost to alter dishes to the preference and dietary requirements of each guest but have clearly let you down on this occasion. Your complaint has been taken very seriously and is being investigated fully and, although regrettable, will help us to continue to ensure that we are catering for all manner of dietary requirements and specific guest preferences.
I am sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations and that you felt somewhat let down by this stay not presenting value for money. I do hope you may consider staying with us again where you can be sure to receive a friendly and warm welcome from myself and the team once again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Came to careys with a friend for an afternoon spa package that included use of the spa from 5pm with dinner booked in the Thai restaurant at 9.00pm. The spa is fantastic. Not only does it have great facilities, but they don't over sell the spa so there was plenty of space, loungers and we were able to use the different rooms and experiences without having to wait for queues of other guests. The facilities are incredibly clean and well serviced. Good supply of robes and towels available. My only one comment (which is to the management rather than to put anyone off going here) - the sauna and steam rooms work perfectly and get you nice and hot but the water fountains were all warm so weren't as thirst quenching as you'd like after being in a sauna. Just a comment - would definitely still recommend here. Our package included 3 courses in the Thai restaurant. The food was AMAZING! Beautifully authentic, rich in flavour and great waiting staff too. Although Careys Spa may seem a little pricey compared to other venues, it is completely worth it and you get what you pay for. Not too many people, excellent facilities and attentive staff : )

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
How lovely to hear that you and your friend had a truly wonderful time experiencing our unique and authentic Thai spa at Careys Manor & SenSpa. Thank you for taking the trouble to share your comments with us ~ it’s brilliant to receive such superb praise and I’m delighted we exceeded all your expectations. Our unique state-of-the-art hydrotherapy facilities and unrivalled treatments have been created to provide the perfect tranquil and rejuvenating spa retreat. Tucked away behind the hotel it is undeniably a hidden gem which also offers the most exquisite Thai cuisine in the Zen Garden Restaurant. Our Thai chefs will be delighted to receive your kind praise as too will all the staff who undergo intensive training to deliver our fabulous treatments and how to create a spa ambience of warm and inclusivity.
If you haven’t done so already, please do subscribe to our regular newsletters, via our website, and be one of the first to receive news about some fabulous spa break offers.
We very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

A friend and I stayed at Carey's Manor last weekend for a 1 night spa break. The hotel is nice and the front of house staff were helpful and accommodating. The room was a bit dated but clean and practical. We paid to use the full spa facilities which I would recommend. I am often disappointed by hotel "spas" which are in reality just a pool and jacuzzi with steam room, but Carey's Manor Zen Spa was nice with a variety of facilities. We had afternoon tea in the spa restaurant which was very nice. Later on we went to the quiet room for a coffee. There was a menu but we couldn't work out how to order coffee. It wasn't appropriate to go to the spa restaurant as they were fully booked for dinner and we were in dressing gowns. We went to the spa reception and the receptionist told us to use the phone in the quiet room. We tried but it was not working. A member of staff came in and we asked her if we could order coffee, to which she replied "I don't know". We left it there but felt quite disappointed and unimpressed with the service. We dined in the French Bistro. The decor was slightly odd (a bit like a Granny's house with the addition of scary mannequins dressed in berets) but the food and service were great. Would highly recommend! We didn't eat in the main hotel restaurant but heard from other guests that it was ok but lacked atmosphere. After dinner we went to the main hotel lounge and could relate to this. It was empty and there was nothing going on. We ordered lattes and played chess beside the fireplace... We decided to get a bottle of wine and the bar staff seemed inconvenienced by this as they had locked up the bar (it was pre-11pm). However we did get a bottle which we took to our room. We had a nice buffet breakfast before leaving. When I arrived home I realised that I had left my watch in the room. I don't live close enough to return to the hotel easily so phoned to ask if I could arrange collection. The person I spoke to on the phone was rather impolite and unhelpful and told me that he didn't have it (which I didn't expect him to!) and that if it was found they would call me. It's 5 days later and I haven't received a call to let me know either way. I have called numerous times since but have either been unable to get through or not provided with any helpful information. I don't usually leave reviews but in this instance I have been left very disappointed and, as I have been unable to speak to anyone directly at the hotel, have felt obliged to. To summarise, our stay at Carey's Manor was pleasant enough but the service from some staff (not all) left a lot to be desired. Based on the post-visit customer service I have received, I doubt I will return.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Twice a year, I treat myself to a 'spa' week - relax, treatments, pamper, unwind - in preparation for frantic months of overseas work ahead; this time I selected the Carey's Manor and SenSpa - it was my first visit!! WOW! Due to my work, I stay in endless hotels that offer a 'spa' experience; let me tell you, this trumps the lot. You arrive at reception via a gravel drive-way, to be met by a charming, be-suited concierge - your experience starts here. Your vehicle will be parked - if you so desire - then to reception and your room. I upgraded to a Rosewood room (strongly recommended!), spacious, comfortable, garden facing. To be honest, the restaurant offers are so-so, but the staff are super friendly and so eager to help - way superior to your normal hotel restaurant experience. However, the best is yet to come - the SenSpa!! It's 5 star all the way. Absolutely charming, Thai/ European staff, delightful service, sublime treatments, fabulous pools, steam/sauna/aqua-therapy etc, beautifully designed, well presented, a complete and utter joy. I could go on but, best you book and experience it for yourselves. Will I return? What do you think? Matt.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest
How fantastic to hear you had a truly wonderful time experiencing our authentic Thai spa at Carey’s Manor Hotel & SenSpa. Thank you for taking the trouble to share your comments with us and describing so many of all the highlights ~ it’s brilliant to receive such superb feedback and I’m delighted we exceeded all your expectations. SenSpa’s unique state-of-the-art hydrotherapy facilities and unrivalled treatments have been created to provide the perfect tranquil and rejuvenating spa retreat and have won multiple awards. Great to hear too that you liked the Rosewood Room and found it to be spacious, beautifully appointed, comfortable and stylishly furnished. I am also very pleased to read your lovely comments about all our staff as they make a tremendous effort to ensure our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Delightful rural atmosphere. Our king room was moderate size; cozy rather than crowded. Hotel building is long and rambling due to a history of add-on building over centuries. Grounds are beautiful with several top quality onsite restaurants. Train station and the village of Brockenhurst are in short walking distance. In room wireless was adequate. Staff was friendly and helpful; the spa facilities are luxurious.

Room Tip: Because the hotel has a ramblig construction, some rooms are quite a distance form the lobby. If wal...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us following your recent stay at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed by the facilities and services we provide throughout the hotel and our unique spa. I was also pleased how much you enjoyed the setting and appreciated the combination of stylish modern and original features. Thank you for your kind praise towards the staff who always aim to create that home from home feeling. Being only a stone’s throw from both Brockenhurst station and the beautiful New Forest, we hope you will visit us again in the future as there’s so much more to enjoy and explore within the hotel itself and its surrounding area.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We've been trying to get back to Careys Manor ever since our first trip a few years ago. It's always a risk in case somewhere you really enjoyed once before has gone downhill. We were glad to discover that Careys Manor is still a fabulous spa hotel, and we enjoyed every minute of our stay.
Three hours in Senspa were well worth the additional charge as we chilled out and took advantage of the hydrotherapy pool, steam room and sensory showers. Fabulous.
Dinner followed in the Manor Restaurant, a good all round selection with salt cod and venison mains, a decent cheese board and good dessert wines. Amuse bouche were a nice touch.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially on the front desk.
We stayed in a large Knightwood room looking into the gardens, and the bed was extremely comfortable.
Breakfast had something for everyone and fresh local produce- a great start for our journey onwards to Devon.
All in all a lovely return trip and hopefully we will be back again soon. The Friday night special package is a great value deal.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

...We were perhaps unusual guests in that we did not book this as a spa break but wanted a good quality hotel to stay in for our anniversary. Had we paid the full price for our one night stay we would have been disappointed. On arrival we had to wait a considerable and unacceptable length of time to be shown to our room, despite there being nobody else to deal with. The Oakwood garden room was spacious, clean and pleasant enough and it was very nice to be able to sit comfortably on the patio area outside overlooking the gardens. The bathroom area was small but served it's purpose though I thought the amount of shampoo etc was rather stingy. We were going to have an evening meal there but felt that all three restaurants were rather pricey for the choices you got so did not bother. We were glad we didn't after having their breakfast the morning we left. It was just not up to 4* standards: there was only one toaster which was too small and one had to retrieve one's toast with some difficulty using long tongs; having got my bacon, tomatoes & something resembling a hash brown (which turned out to be so overcooked there was no potato left in it) there were no fried eggs ready; I, amongst others, waited and waited and waited whilst more bacon, scrambled egg and hash browns (better cooked this time) came out. Still no fried eggs and by the time they eventually came the other food was cold so I had to replace the lot and start all over again-such a waste! By this time my partner had almost finished his food. Simply not acceptable in any hotel let alone a 4* hotel. In addition there was no jam, marmalade or honey jars on the table, just small open bowls over by the fried food containers-not very hygienic- though the fresh honeycomb was a nice touch. The spa facilities looked very nice and our room was pleasant enough but they need to pay more attention to getting the basics right. We had better service and food in the 3* we had stayed in the previous night. We would be reluctant to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KAS747
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!