“Comfortable but over-priced and over-rated”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 15 May 2014

An enjoyable 2 night stay in a comfortable room, but we would expect more for the price. We were surprised that bathroom toiletries were not replenished when the room was serviced on the morning of Day 2, There was no turn down service in the evenings, no chocolate on the pillow touch here. Newspapers, other than the Independent were chargeable, no mini bar etc. Breakfast was pleasant but no omelette chef, no cold meats other than salami and little bread choice (no rolls). Our room suffered badly from noise from the room above - we could hear their TV and footsteps all night - along with their laughter and conversation.
Most staff were very helpful, save the Duty Manager who was not helpful regarding our complaint about the overhead noise. The Manager has subsequently offered us a 50% rate reduction and free bottle of bubbly if we return, but I suspect we will find other better value places instead, there are plenty around!
We ate in the Manor and the Zen Garden restaurants, both meals were very nicely prepared and served and very tasty, but again quite pricey.

Room Tip: Don't have a ground floor room!
1  Thank TimKNottingham

Reviewed 14 May 2014

From the first minute to the last we did not meet one member of staff who were anything but smiling and helpful; from check in through housekeeping to restaurant. Some more expensive hotels exude an air of aloofness but certainly not this lovely place. Nothing is too much trouble and this feels very much like a home from home. My only advice is to be careful not to get too comfortable and stay inside - the area is so beautiful remember to go out and explore it!

1  Thank Highexpectati0ns
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed for two nights over the weekend with a couple of friends. Our room was clean and roomy though lacked a minibar fridge or coat hooks on the wall. We experienced all three restaurants and would highly recommend the Zen and main restaurant where the food was of a very high standard. The hotel is a bit warren-like but this did not detract from the spa experience which was great fun and well worth the money. The hydrotherapy pool and saunas were fab and the treatments of a good standard. There is something for everybody there. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ana P
Reviewed 13 May 2014

As my boyfriend and I drove up the gravel path and to the entrance of the manor, both our jaws hit the floor in amazement of this stunning building in front of us....of course it was ruined by the fact we couldn't get parked right outside and got soaked, but ah, it's British weather, it always happens!

We were instantly greeted by the concierge who pointed us in the right way to check in. the service was quick, prompt and welcoming. We were telling the polite lady at the desk we'd never been before and another member of staff offered to show us around (I only wish I got his name as he was so friendly and more than willing to make us feel at home) We were absolutely amazed at the size of the hotel. I can definitely see why people have got lost! it definitely helps to be shown around, especially if you are to use the spa as everything is explained as soon as possible.

We were then shown to our beautiful room in the actual manor, room 17 was charming, rustic and had that heart of history you'd expect from this kind of hotel. I couldn't wait to google what had been of this hotel years before.

Everything you need is in this very room. It was extremely clean and comforting. I especially liked that as soon as we'd left, housekeeping had drawn the curtains for us and turned down our bed for the evening. First class.

Our first port of call was the spa. I have never been so relaxed or comfortable at a spa in all my life. You say it's expensive but trust me, if you work hard for a living it is most definitely worth it.

Again the staff were lovely, asking if it was our first time, what our plans were etc etc. The complimentary bath robes, slippers and towels are a huge bonus if you dont want to bring your own, you are more than welcome to walk around the spa in them without feeling uncomfortable. First up was the hydrotherapy pool...WOW! my advice is to go on a Monday afternoon, we had the whole spa to ourselves for about an hour.

We also had a rhassoul mud treatment which was incredibly relaxing and my skin now feels amazing. I was a tad worried as I have very sensitive skin, but nothing to worry about at all!

We spent the best part of five hours in this spa and I would happily have spent 5 more! I am definitely considering becoming a member as it's just so fantastic. Unfortunately we didn't get time to sample the thai restaurant as the member of staff who showed us around at the beginning really sold it to us!

We returned to our room to dress up for dinner. I was completely unaware of the dress code and I'm glad I checked beforehand, men, do note that you need a decently ironed shirt!

The bath was a perfect size and everything you need was within reaching distance.

We dined in the manor restaurant, our table was booked for 9pm, we arrived at 8.45pm but were greeted and sat straight away. The gentleman who sat us absolutely set the bar for service as soon as we sat down. Nothing goes un-noticed.

Special thanks go to Anna. She was clearly passionate about her job. Nothing was too much trouble for her and she always had us laughing and feeling relaxed! She is an absolute asset to Carey's Manor and if I were to go back I'd specifically want her to serve us as she is just such a star!

The restaurant for me was a little dated. In all honesty I felt like I'd just stepped onto a fine cruise back in the 90's. It does need an overhaul. However this doesn't at all reflect on the food or service. I had the 8oz serloin steak which was perfectly cooked and sumptuous. Followed by the passionfruit cheesecake, I was a little bit apprehensive about the size but I struggled to even finish it as I was so full!

Our nights sleep was wonderful, I even enjoyed being woken up by the birds in the tree next to our room. It gives you a full experience of the new forest. I was tempted to break into song Cinderella style but I don't think my boyfriend would have appreciated it.

Breakfast was just as brilliant as dinner. Everything you need, cereals, pastries, full english etc. The staff were fantastic, always making sure everything was where we needed it. I can't thank them enough for making our stay so special and one to remember.

Check out was just as good as check in. I honestly could have stayed for another week. Thank you Carey's Manor for being so accommodating.

(stayed for 1 night, 12/5/14)

1  Thank paigetBournemouth
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest
How lovely to hear that you had a truly wonderful time experiencing our award winning authentic Thai spa at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa. Thank you for taking the trouble to share your comments with us ~ it’s brilliant to receive such superb praise and I’m delighted we exceeded all your expectations. It's particularly pleasing to read that our facilities and treatments impressed you enough to consider becoming a member of SenSpa and I wonder if you would be so kind to provide an email address so that I may then send you further information about the various options available. I also really appreciate all your kind feedback about the cleanliness of your room, the standard of food and the fabulous dining options on offer and our very dedicated team who are always on hand to help to ensure your stay is comfortable and that you have everything you need. I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.
With best wishes
Thomas & The Team

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here for my birthday and must say that I was blown away by how welcomed I was made to feel! Staff went that extra mile constantly and exceeded my expectations! It was apparent that all members of the Carey's team thoroughly enjoy their jobs this was clear to see! I was pleasantly surprised by my birthday balloon and gift that awaited us in our free upgraded room which was a sweet touch!! ( I get a sneaky impression that the manager of this establishment must be the sweet natured type as the whole manor environment had a lovely warmth about it)

The spa facilities were excellent! With clean and sanitary spaces! The women's changing area was lovely with an abundant supply of clean towels, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and chilled water (as hours spent in the steam and sauna meant cold water was very much appreciated)

The breakfast was phenomenal great selection of locally sourced sausages, bacon et al but must say the two items at breakfast that had my partner and I blown away was the local honey with comb that tasted like heaven! Plus the incredibly creamy 'Ebly' farm yogurt vanilla flavour nearly had me doing my when Harry met Sally impression!!

Overall the the food was to a good standard!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Francesca N
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Comfortable and well - appointed Oakwood room. Friendly, professional, well - informed and helpful staff throughout. Fantastic spa and hydrotherapy facilities. Very good food with plenty of variety to suit most tastes. Lovely mix of traditional country house and modern cutting edge facilities. Spotlessly clean. Unobtrusive service ranking with the best anywhere in my experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had one night at the hotel on this occasion. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. We didn't use the spa, as feel it is expensive unless you have time to get the benefit of it which we didn't on this occasion. The showers however around the pool were cold and this was a shame. Generally the food was good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!