“A Fantastic Celebration Break”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Portsmouth
“A Fantastic Celebration Break”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We travelled to Carey's Manor for a Zen Spa Escape Break and were bowled over from the moment we arrived. The reception we received was outstanding. Three members of staff paid us attention and a special mention must go to Michael, who carried our luggage to our room on the other side of the hotel and stopped and showed us everything we would need to know to enjoy our break. Even when we got to our room, Michael was keen to show us everything, how it worked and where to go if we required anything further. Outstanding customer service.

The Spa itself was absolutely world class, as we had heard and were expecting. Some of the facilities we had never used before (such as a tepidarium and locarnicum) were incredibly relaxing. We both indulged in our first professional massage and were much the better for it afterwards!!

The only negative we could think of was unfortunately to do with the food! The Manor Restaurant (fine dining) is a double AA rosette restaurant. We have eaten at other double AA rosetted restaurants, some in the local area (The Glasshouse) and unfortunately the Manor Restaurant didn't live up to our expectations. Anise at East Grinstead Spa was also superior as a double AA rosette restaurant. The prices for the Manor Restaurant were also excessive compared to other restaurants in the local area (£8.50 for a sorbet?)

To balance this, we chose the Thai restaurant the following day for lunch and we were blown away. The Thai restaurant is a single AA rosette restaurant and is infinitely more reasonable on prices. I have to admit, the green Thai curry I had was easily the best I have ever tasted. The ingredients were all extremely fresh and particular attention was paid to textures and fragrances, a detail missing from your typical Thai. To boot, the chef and staff all working there are Thai.

All in all, an amazing spa resort ideal for a relaxing and romantic break. The fine dining restaurant may disappoint but fortunately there are plenty of choices as alternatives. We will most definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Ground floor Oakwood rooms have a patio, tables and chairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your kind comments posted on the trip advisor web site.

I was so pleased that the service you received from our concierge team was outstanding and I have passed this on to them, with your special commendation to Michael.

We are all very proud of our award winning Spa and your comments reiterate this and I sincerely thank you.

I was disappointed to learn that your experience in the Manor Restaurant did not reach our usual high standard and for this I sincerely apologise. I note that you will definitely return to Careys Manor and by then we will have a new Restaurant and dining concept launches which I am confident will exceed your expectations.

Thomas & the Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Lagos State, Nigeria
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I organised a business retreat where i brought 20 people to careys manor for 3 days. I was initially nervous about the location as reviews from trip advisor were discouraging. I only saw the reviews after all the planning was put in place and the retreat was a few days away.. I was pleasantly surprised on visiting the location prior to the day, and i must say all the guests enjoyed their stay. It was such a relief for me, after all the anxiety.

Beautiful hotel in a very nice location, great comfortable rooms and good food. The staff however were not too friendly, and the same complaint was made by members of my team..they were not too keen on our flexible schedule as most of the meetings were running late, so that was a bit of downer. Aside from that, great hotel. Would like to visit again with my husband, for a nice weekend away.

Tolu.

Room Tip: Oakwood rooms are good value for money.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tolu A
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Tolu,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent Business retreat with us. I am delighted that you and your guests enjoyed your stay and that our beautiful New Forest location, bedrooms and food all met your expectations.

I was saddened to learn that you felt the team were not friendly and flexible to your changing daily schedule and having met with you personally I would have relished the opportunity to discuss this with you further as I was left feeling that we delivered all that was desired in a timely fashion to your requirements.

I am thrilled that you would like to return to Careys Manor with your husband and we all very much look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Thomas & the Team
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Positives include excellent service from a well-trained staff, a building and grounds that are easy on the eye, a very comfortable bed, good food at the French bistro and decent gym and pool facilities. These, sadly, are outweighed by negatives, which focus on the room itself, on the provision of helpful information for guests, and on the high prices.

Our room was rather 'tired' and badly in need of an up-date. Neither the iron nor the TV controller worked, although the first was replaced reasonably quickly and the second responded to adjusting batteries + verbal abuse. The room offered insufficient information about hotel facilities (such as hotel menus for the three hotel eateries) and, I think, none about local places of interest. In contrast, there was more than enough marketing for the spa - we had several brochures for this.

The cost was the biggest concern. Although our booking was for a room only, the price charged was perhaps as much as 30% too high. Should we have fancied breakfast one morning, that would have been another £18 each. Should we have fancied access to the spa's no doubt excellent specialist facilities one evening, that would have been an additional £20 each. Specialist spa treatments, had we got that far, also hit high price points.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I am pleased that you found our staff well trained as this is always satisfying to read as we set a high precedent on our training programme. I am however deeply concerned with your remarks regarding the iron and the TV remote, for this please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that I will fully investigate the situation.

With regard to the lack of local information supplied in your room I will research this and see what improvements can be made to supply such information in rooms. We do however have leaflets available in the reception area for the use of our guests and a concierge team who are well informed on places to visit and things to do whilst in The New Forest.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Careys Manor again in the future.

Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We very much enjoyed our two day break.
It is always appreciated to check-in to an automatic upgrade. Thank you.

Our room was spacious and very comfortable and over-looking the charming garden.
Although most surfaces and mirrors were immaculately clean we did notice a few dust pile-ups on pictures and around door-frames and the toilet bowl unfortunately, was not as spick and span as one would expect.

Dinner was delicious albeit the dinning room environment is a little gloomy.
No music and no atmosphere so quite a sombre affair.
We ordered our breakfast through room service and butter for our toast was missing.
That was frustrating. Due to our Spa treatment appointments we didn’t have the time to call and request more.

The Senharmony face and body treatment as promised, was an amazing 90 minutes of total pampering and highly recommended as an ultimate in indulgent relaxation.
We were a little disappointed that our dinner, bed and breakfast break and pre-booked signature treatment didn’t include the hydrotherapy facilities.
We paid the required extra £25 each though and thoroughly enjoyed the use of the relaxations rooms.
The health showers were fun and revitalising and the hydrotherapy pool, herbal sauna and steam rooms:- a tranquil spa haven.

We had late lunch at the Zen Garden restaurant which was a health snack treat of delicious goodness.

We left feeling utterly spoilt and instantly planning our next return spa break .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JacqJains
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review.

I am so pleased that you and you friends enjoyed your two day break and the free upgrade of your room. It is with concern that I read your remark on the cleanliness of the room, for this I sincerely apologise and have asked the Housekeeper to review this with our Housekeeping team.

I am pleased to advise you that in the autumn we are refurbishing the Manor Restaurant and lounge areas which will ensure our guests receive an amazing space and atmosphere to enjoy as you mention, the delicious food our chefs deliver.

It was pleasing to read that you felt utterly spoilt and enjoyed your stay enough to revisit in the future and we look forward to meeting you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second time at careys manor and we very much returned because of the spa rather than the hotel. The spa is expensive but is 100% worth it as the facilities are exceptional and the Thai restaurant attached to the spa was great too. However, for the price we paid, the hotel itself doesn't offer a service which is worthy of the price point. There were lots of little niggles which when combined take the shine of the stay a little bit. If you are not using the spa, there are other local hotels where the experience would be better for the price.

The room

The room was very clean and we had chocolates and a balloon waiting for us for my husbands birthday which was a nice touch. The room was nice but the bathroom could probably do with a refit in the not to distant future. The size of the toiletries was a bit small but a good selection was provided.

Breakfast

This was a bit chaotic on both days with crockery running out and not being replaced, very limited selection of pastries and breads, getting tea instead of the coffees we had asked for etcThe food was ok but was a bit overlooked. On the plus side, juices were freshly squeezed and there was a good selection of cereals.

Dinner- Manor restaurant

The Manor restaurant is looking a bit tired now and while there is a pianist, the ambiance isn't great. The food was nice and the service was pretty attentive. However, as a contrast when we have stayed at other hotels at an equivalent price point ,the meal included canapés, an amuse bouche, free coffee etc. it just makes for a different level of experience . The restaurant was only half full on a Saturday in August which possibly suggests the only people eating were residents.

Room turnaround

Both days we were disturbed by the cleaning team- once at 9.10 while we were still in bed and once at 10 which was ok as we had come back from breakfast. You could argue that we should have had the do not disturb sign up but no-one should be knocking on your door at 9.10 on a Saturday morning unless you have checked out.

Reception
We had a good experience checking in and out. The only niggle was that we were charged for papers which we were expecting to be complimentary (again standard for the price we paid for the weekend). I wouldn't have minded if someone had said at check-in that they were chargeable.

All in all, the spa really is fantastic but the hotel needs a bit of work to justify the prices that are charged. We spent apr £850 for a weekend and for that price it is not unreasonable to have pretty high expectations. I would not hesitate to recommend the spa but I'm not sure that I would stay over again until there has been a refurb.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your detailed and constructive review on Trip Advisor.

I have passed your comments onto the relevant team managers to fully investigate and where necessary, re-train staff members.

In the Autumn I am pleased to inform you that we will be refurbishing the Manor Restaurant and lounge which will include carpets, curtains and furniture, we are sure that this make over will add to the overall ambience of the hotel. I do hope that when this is completed we can entice you back for a return visit when a member of the team will gladly show you the improvements we have made.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

On our arrival mid afternoon, we were welcomed by the porter who spent some time explaining about the hotel before taking us to reception where we went through the niceties of the day welcome, have you travelled far?, have your had a nice day?, etc, etc. - the whole process taking more than 20 minutes. I am sorry, but this type of insincere, inconsequential, babble is not part of the English service style. If I would like my bottom kissing when I visit a hotel, I will request it in the section on the booking form or I shall ensure my trousers are suitably adjusted. Just check me in and if I need anything I will ask you. The room was lovely, impeccably clean and well supplied with toiletries etc. The bed was most comfortable and the shower efficient. We had a pleasant dinner in the Thai restaurant and a good nights sleep which was lucky for some in the morning.

We went down to breakfast only to find that the place was awash with children, most of whom were well behaved and under the control of their guardians, some, however, were not. Rolling around under tables, screaming and shrieking whilst the ignoramuses responsible for their conception wholly ignored their behaviour. One cannot blame Chardonnay, Tuscany or Chlamydia (or whatever they may be named) for their appalling behaviour, that rests exclusively with their incompetent parents who had clearly forgotten the au pair had the day off. Sadly, this will be our defining memory of Carey's Manor and I am sure the same for many others. Perhaps the children could be fed by room service???? This, I fear, is something which will need to be addressed sooner rather than later given the inability of thirty something's to control two year olds!

I will come back when the policy on "younger" guests is defined

2 Thank Timthetrainer
I was pleased to read that your room was lovely, impeccably clean and well supplied with toiletries and that the bed was most comfortable and the shower efficient. I was also pleased that you had a pleasant dinner in the Thai restaurant and a good night’s sleep.

It is with regret that you felt your welcome to Careys Manor was lengthy and insincere, as all our guests usually appreciate the time spent with our award winning concierge team. It usually helps to relax them and make them aware of the wonderful facilities that Careys Manor has to offer.

As we are at the height of the Summer School holidays it is inevitable that we have a number of younger guests staying with us and it is unfortunate that this impacted on the enjoyment of your stay.

We are predominantly an adult Spa Hotel and have a policy of not allowing under 16's in the pool and SenSpa however this does not extend to the hotel.

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Booked for a birthday treat, was not let down in any way, room was fantastic over looking the garden, restaurant food was very nice, staff very good, did not have time to use the spa but that looked lovely.
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debbie W
I was very pleased to read that your experience here at Careys Manor was lovely and enjoyable and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thomas & The Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,014 reviews

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!