“Thoroughly enjoyable anniversary break”

Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“Thoroughly enjoyable anniversary break”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I booked to stay here between 22nd and 24th of August for a surprise weekend away with my wife. I did not book directly, but rather through an intermediary. However I did call the hotel directly in advance to 1) book a table at the Thai restaurant, and 2) request an upgrade to the "SenSpa" facilities. Each time I called the staff were excellent. In particular when I called to upgrade, I was asked if there was any specific reason for my stay and I mentioned it was for our anniversary. This was clearly noted as on our arrival (for which the check in was very smooth and friendly) and having been shown to our room there was a congratulatory card and box of chocolates waiting for us - very thoughtful.

The hotel itself looks excellent, with a wise decision being made to house the reception in the Manor House with the extended, more modern buildings hidden within the garden area. We stayed in a double room in the Manor House, which was spacious and well appointed and had free wifi which actually worked (a rarity, I find). The only detractor here was the shower, which was not very powerful (but that might be my personal preference!).

The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and knowledgeable, particularly the reception staff who went out of their way to ensure we knew where we were going and how to get around.

We upgraded to use the SenSpa (a nominal charge on top of the room) so I didn't use the leisure facilities, but they did look good. The SenSpa was high quality, very relaxing and not too busy, with plenty of different hydrotherapy treatments to try. My wife had a Thai massage which she thoroughly enjoyed.

Speaking of Thai, the Zen Garden restaurant was probably the highlight of the trip (other than some wonderful, scenic cycling through the forest!). While the service was ever so slightly frenetic, the food spoke for itself; it was easily the best Thai food I have ever eaten.

When Sunday rolled around I was sad to leave. Checkout was painless and friendly though. I have a feeling we will visit this hotel again in the future if we can, for the Spa, for the Thai food and for the excellent service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
We were so pleased to read your review and are grateful to you for taking the time to post it.

It is feedback such as this that really lifts the spirit of the whole team and I have past your remarks on to them.

During your weekend visit, from your comments it would seem that you were able to experience and enjoy most of the facilities that we have on offer exceeding your expectations. We find this very gratifying as all the team here at Careys Manor Hotel and SenSpa are proud of our Hotel and the service we provide.

You and your wife may find it an advantage to sign up to our newsletter to ensure that you are aware of any of our future breaks.

We all look forward to welcoming you both back again in the future.

Thomas & the Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I got married in early August 2014 and cannot praise Careys Manor enough for how the day went. Francoise (wedding co-ordinator) was extremely helpful in the build up to the wedding and on the day itself. She was very organised and always willing to answer questions. The staff on the day were amazing. They were very helpful, polite and seemed to enjoy the day as well. The Mast of Ceremonies was incredible and seemed genuinely interested in making our day the best we could hope for. It was evident that Careys Manor prides itself on delivering an excellent service. As bride and groom, we were well looked after and everything we wanted we got, and all went to plan. Careys Manor was flexible with what we wanted for our wedding and were open to us creating a unique wedding that fitted us both. We were able to try (complimentary) six of the courses that were available for our package deal (complete celebration) on a night several months before the day which included complimentary wine. The food was amazing and did not disappoint on the day. We received a lot of positive feedback from our guests on the food and the wedding as a whole. The bridal suite was also exactly what we wanted and we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we went to our room (which we did not expect). The next day, the staff had moved all of our items in a separate room which made it easy to pack away into our cars. My wife and I then used the spa facilities and were joined by our parents and friends in the pool and jacuzzi which was a nice way to end the weekend. The breakfast (buffet) was also very good.

The only negatives that I would highlight would be the price of alcohol which, although to be expected in the new forest, I was still a little surprised at. The other negative was the evening buffet (we selected cold meats, breads and dips) which was a little basic for the price and did not cater very well for vegetarians.

Nonetheless, overall, I would definitely recommend Careys Manor for a wedding venue and we are both very grateful for the staff in making our day the best it could have been.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
It is always gratifying to read that all the meticulous planning Françoise puts into making our weddings unique come to fruition and that you and your wife had a most enjoyable day with us here at Careys Manor. I will share your feedback with all the teams involved in your day as it is comments such as yours that lift the spirit of all concerned.

Our liquor prices are regularly checked with our competitors to ensure that we are in keeping with hotels of a similar stature, but I am Sorry that you found this slightly disappointing. With regard to the evening buffet not providing a suitable selection of vegetarian options I have already asked our Executive Chef to review the menu to address this.

Thank you for all your kind and constructive comments and we all look forward to seeing you again at some time in the future.

Portsmouth
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We travelled to Carey's Manor for a Zen Spa Escape Break and were bowled over from the moment we arrived. The reception we received was outstanding. Three members of staff paid us attention and a special mention must go to Michael, who carried our luggage to our room on the other side of the hotel and stopped and showed us everything we would need to know to enjoy our break. Even when we got to our room, Michael was keen to show us everything, how it worked and where to go if we required anything further. Outstanding customer service.

The Spa itself was absolutely world class, as we had heard and were expecting. Some of the facilities we had never used before (such as a tepidarium and locarnicum) were incredibly relaxing. We both indulged in our first professional massage and were much the better for it afterwards!!

The only negative we could think of was unfortunately to do with the food! The Manor Restaurant (fine dining) is a double AA rosette restaurant. We have eaten at other double AA rosetted restaurants, some in the local area (The Glasshouse) and unfortunately the Manor Restaurant didn't live up to our expectations. Anise at East Grinstead Spa was also superior as a double AA rosette restaurant. The prices for the Manor Restaurant were also excessive compared to other restaurants in the local area (£8.50 for a sorbet?)

To balance this, we chose the Thai restaurant the following day for lunch and we were blown away. The Thai restaurant is a single AA rosette restaurant and is infinitely more reasonable on prices. I have to admit, the green Thai curry I had was easily the best I have ever tasted. The ingredients were all extremely fresh and particular attention was paid to textures and fragrances, a detail missing from your typical Thai. To boot, the chef and staff all working there are Thai.

All in all, an amazing spa resort ideal for a relaxing and romantic break. The fine dining restaurant may disappoint but fortunately there are plenty of choices as alternatives. We will most definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Ground floor Oakwood rooms have a patio, tables and chairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments posted on the trip advisor web site.

I was so pleased that the service you received from our concierge team was outstanding and I have passed this on to them, with your special commendation to Michael.

We are all very proud of our award winning Spa and your comments reiterate this and I sincerely thank you.

I was disappointed to learn that your experience in the Manor Restaurant did not reach our usual high standard and for this I sincerely apologise. I note that you will definitely return to Careys Manor and by then we will have a new Restaurant and dining concept launches which I am confident will exceed your expectations.

Lagos State, Nigeria
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I organised a business retreat where i brought 20 people to careys manor for 3 days. I was initially nervous about the location as reviews from trip advisor were discouraging. I only saw the reviews after all the planning was put in place and the retreat was a few days away.. I was pleasantly surprised on visiting the location prior to the day, and i must say all the guests enjoyed their stay. It was such a relief for me, after all the anxiety.

Beautiful hotel in a very nice location, great comfortable rooms and good food. The staff however were not too friendly, and the same complaint was made by members of my team..they were not too keen on our flexible schedule as most of the meetings were running late, so that was a bit of downer. Aside from that, great hotel. Would like to visit again with my husband, for a nice weekend away.

Tolu.

Room Tip: Oakwood rooms are good value for money.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tolu A
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Tolu,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent Business retreat with us. I am delighted that you and your guests enjoyed your stay and that our beautiful New Forest location, bedrooms and food all met your expectations.

I was saddened to learn that you felt the team were not friendly and flexible to your changing daily schedule and having met with you personally I would have relished the opportunity to discuss this with you further as I was left feeling that we delivered all that was desired in a timely fashion to your requirements.

I am thrilled that you would like to return to Careys Manor with your husband and we all very much look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Long Eaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Positives include excellent service from a well-trained staff, a building and grounds that are easy on the eye, a very comfortable bed, good food at the French bistro and decent gym and pool facilities. These, sadly, are outweighed by negatives, which focus on the room itself, on the provision of helpful information for guests, and on the high prices.

Our room was rather 'tired' and badly in need of an up-date. Neither the iron nor the TV controller worked, although the first was replaced reasonably quickly and the second responded to adjusting batteries + verbal abuse. The room offered insufficient information about hotel facilities (such as hotel menus for the three hotel eateries) and, I think, none about local places of interest. In contrast, there was more than enough marketing for the spa - we had several brochures for this.

The cost was the biggest concern. Although our booking was for a room only, the price charged was perhaps as much as 30% too high. Should we have fancied breakfast one morning, that would have been another £18 each. Should we have fancied access to the spa's no doubt excellent specialist facilities one evening, that would have been an additional £20 each. Specialist spa treatments, had we got that far, also hit high price points.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I am pleased that you found our staff well trained as this is always satisfying to read as we set a high precedent on our training programme. I am however deeply concerned with your remarks regarding the iron and the TV remote, for this please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that I will fully investigate the situation.

With regard to the lack of local information supplied in your room I will research this and see what improvements can be made to supply such information in rooms. We do however have leaflets available in the reception area for the use of our guests and a concierge team who are well informed on places to visit and things to do whilst in The New Forest.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Careys Manor again in the future.

Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We very much enjoyed our two day break.
It is always appreciated to check-in to an automatic upgrade. Thank you.

Our room was spacious and very comfortable and over-looking the charming garden.
Although most surfaces and mirrors were immaculately clean we did notice a few dust pile-ups on pictures and around door-frames and the toilet bowl unfortunately, was not as spick and span as one would expect.

Dinner was delicious albeit the dinning room environment is a little gloomy.
No music and no atmosphere so quite a sombre affair.
We ordered our breakfast through room service and butter for our toast was missing.
That was frustrating. Due to our Spa treatment appointments we didn’t have the time to call and request more.

The Senharmony face and body treatment as promised, was an amazing 90 minutes of total pampering and highly recommended as an ultimate in indulgent relaxation.
We were a little disappointed that our dinner, bed and breakfast break and pre-booked signature treatment didn’t include the hydrotherapy facilities.
We paid the required extra £25 each though and thoroughly enjoyed the use of the relaxations rooms.
The health showers were fun and revitalising and the hydrotherapy pool, herbal sauna and steam rooms:- a tranquil spa haven.

We had late lunch at the Zen Garden restaurant which was a health snack treat of delicious goodness.

We left feeling utterly spoilt and instantly planning our next return spa break .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JacqJains
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review.

I am so pleased that you and you friends enjoyed your two day break and the free upgrade of your room. It is with concern that I read your remark on the cleanliness of the room, for this I sincerely apologise and have asked the Housekeeper to review this with our Housekeeping team.

I am pleased to advise you that in the autumn we are refurbishing the Manor Restaurant and lounge areas which will ensure our guests receive an amazing space and atmosphere to enjoy as you mention, the delicious food our chefs deliver.

It was pleasing to read that you felt utterly spoilt and enjoyed your stay enough to revisit in the future and we look forward to meeting you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second time at careys manor and we very much returned because of the spa rather than the hotel. The spa is expensive but is 100% worth it as the facilities are exceptional and the Thai restaurant attached to the spa was great too. However, for the price we paid, the hotel itself doesn't offer a service which is worthy of the price point. There were lots of little niggles which when combined take the shine of the stay a little bit. If you are not using the spa, there are other local hotels where the experience would be better for the price.

The room

The room was very clean and we had chocolates and a balloon waiting for us for my husbands birthday which was a nice touch. The room was nice but the bathroom could probably do with a refit in the not to distant future. The size of the toiletries was a bit small but a good selection was provided.

Breakfast

This was a bit chaotic on both days with crockery running out and not being replaced, very limited selection of pastries and breads, getting tea instead of the coffees we had asked for etcThe food was ok but was a bit overlooked. On the plus side, juices were freshly squeezed and there was a good selection of cereals.

Dinner- Manor restaurant

The Manor restaurant is looking a bit tired now and while there is a pianist, the ambiance isn't great. The food was nice and the service was pretty attentive. However, as a contrast when we have stayed at other hotels at an equivalent price point ,the meal included canapés, an amuse bouche, free coffee etc. it just makes for a different level of experience . The restaurant was only half full on a Saturday in August which possibly suggests the only people eating were residents.

Room turnaround

Both days we were disturbed by the cleaning team- once at 9.10 while we were still in bed and once at 10 which was ok as we had come back from breakfast. You could argue that we should have had the do not disturb sign up but no-one should be knocking on your door at 9.10 on a Saturday morning unless you have checked out.

Reception
We had a good experience checking in and out. The only niggle was that we were charged for papers which we were expecting to be complimentary (again standard for the price we paid for the weekend). I wouldn't have minded if someone had said at check-in that they were chargeable.

All in all, the spa really is fantastic but the hotel needs a bit of work to justify the prices that are charged. We spent apr £850 for a weekend and for that price it is not unreasonable to have pretty high expectations. I would not hesitate to recommend the spa but I'm not sure that I would stay over again until there has been a refurb.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your detailed and constructive review on Trip Advisor.

I have passed your comments onto the relevant team managers to fully investigate and where necessary, re-train staff members.

In the Autumn I am pleased to inform you that we will be refurbishing the Manor Restaurant and lounge which will include carpets, curtains and furniture, we are sure that this make over will add to the overall ambience of the hotel. I do hope that when this is completed we can entice you back for a return visit when a member of the team will gladly show you the improvements we have made.

Thomas & The Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!