“Totally relaxing stay”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Bognor, west Sussex
“Totally relaxing stay”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights with 2 children and a dog. We ate in the lounge both nights and the food was amazing. I had 2 treatments in the spa and we swam every day. Our time here was very relaxing, nothing was too much trouble, the children were well catered for making full use of the trampoline, table football and the tv above the bath! Even the dog had a good time, walking in the forest in the day followed by a play with daisy the resident dog in the evening! We fully intend to return for another recharge of the batteries soon!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Newpark76, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Hi there, thanks for the lovely feedback. Was lovely to meet you all and really pleased you had a great time with us. Daisy is still panting from all the running around that she did with your pups too! Come and see us again soon.
Steve & the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I have to agree with sentiment of the othe reviews. Our room was lovely and food was great but service all round was really quite bad. Even when we suggested that service could be a little more attentive it got worse. What a shame.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny R
Newpark76, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Jenny,
As with the previous review, I would also be hugely grateful if you could make contact with me so that I can discuss your concerns with the service levels received. If you have time and would like to contact me my email address is steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk and my number is 01590 623467.
Kind regards
London
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We enjoyed our stay but after a very disappointing level of service in the restaurant on the Friday night we elected to go into Lyndhurst for our Saturday evening meal. Good points included a lovely spa and high quality food. However the bar and restaurant service was appalling- let me explain. We arrived at 9pm as per our reservation. We ordered a bottle of wine after being left with the wine list for about 20mins. This did not appear until we had finished our starters despite reminding 2 different members of staff that we were still waiting. The food quality was excellent. We ordered water which arrived quickly but we had finished it before our starter and were not offered more (we were thirsty and were compensating for the lack of wine!) As other diners left their tables were not cleared- by the end of our meal every table around us was covered in dirty dishes- not pleasant. We left the restaurant and went to the bar. The two staff members from the restaurant were standing chatting in reception. Every time we wanted a drink one of us had to walk round to reception. They had no ice so after 2 warm drinks we went to bed! I am not one to post a negative review without first giving the manager chance to respond so I completed a comment card with all of the above on it. I have had no response and this was over a month ago. The setting is lovely however this hotel is very much let down by its level of customer service (with one notable exception- Ariel on reception was excellent.)

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonnyCommuter
Dear Jonny Commuter,
I am deeply sorry to read that you have been let down by us here. I am in the midst of making the necessary improvements to service in the hotel and training is been rolled out to the team to ensure that these kind of reviews do not come our way in the future. Having been recently acquired by Luxury Family Hotels, I would like to assure you that our service levels will increase immediately. I would like to ask for the opportunity to discuss these comments with you and make amends. If you have time and would like to contact me directly my email is steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk or you can call me on 01590 623467.
Kind regards
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and were pre warned about some improvements going on in the entrance hall.
The decor is fitting for a hotel of this age and the staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially within the den (creche) which our kids very much enjoyed, so we could have some peace and quiet!
The food is of very good quality and I enjoyed everything I tried.

BUT.....

We had 7 meals in all there, 3 x breakfast, 3 evening meals and 1 x lunch - For 4 of these we had to remind the staff of items they'd forgotten, and the waiting time for some meals was very long - especially breakfast (over 30 mins after ordering on one day). We also gave up waiting on one night in the lounge after 35 minutes for coffee after dinner!

The Room we stayed in was room 1 - (Barbara Villiers) - it was nice enough, the shower is not so good but it is an old house, but the heat was oppressive. It is right above the kitchen and when it was operating the room temperature was stifling even with the window wide open and the room smells of cooking food. The part of the room used for the children had one small window that was screwed shut so there was no air movement creating a sauna effect - well away from the spa!
There was one small table fan provided (held together with bag ties) - not enough to try and cool down both parts of the room.
The hotel advertises high speed wi-fi in all the rooms - it rarely worked.

To summarise then,

- The Staff - are very good very friendly and helpful.
- The Restaurant - Food good, waiting times poor (think they have staffing issues - especially as some of the staff appear to do everything!)
- The Room - decor fine, comfortable, products are as expected, WiFi doesn't work, but far far too hot especially for kids.
- Facilities - The children liked the den and pool, the spa was good as well.
- Overall - The place is being modernised but I think at the moment the problems stem from staffing issues (especially in the restaurant) - would I go back? Maybe in a few years when they've ironed out the niggles and do something about the room temperature (even use pedestal fans for a start).
The Good points are let down by the bad points hence the average rating!

Still we did the typical british thing and didn't complain, so the other rooms may have been a lot better!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ssrat72
, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Hi Ssrat72,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking some time to put on some feedback. I am really disappointed to read that after waiting for 35 mins for coffee you had to give up and leave. I will ensure that all of your feedback is given to the team and put the necessary actions in place to ensure that we pick up from where we have let you down. I very much hope that you come back soon to see what we have done, and will continue to do with the hotel and the development of the team. It would be my pleasure to personally book this for you and ensure that you have a wonderful stay with us in every aspect.
Best wishes.
Storrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Reading some of the reviews of this hotel prior to arriving led us to being a little unsure about this hotel, but what made us decide to book here in the end was the fact that virtually all the reviews in the last six months had been very positive, with mention of new management and things having improved since their taking over.

Having spent a couple of nights there over this weekend I can confirm that all the positive reviews are spot on - the hotel has a lot going for it and we had a lovely time there, having had a good experience at the hotel and spa.

The hotel's location midway between Lyndhurst and Brokenhurst is very convenient for the whole New Forest, and both the villages are very close with a bus connection to both (and if feeling energetic both are easily walkable). A half-mile drive through a showground site taking you from the main road, you arrive at a lovely setting - the hotel is a large 17th century house is acres of lovely countryside, perfect for a quiet relaxing time.

I've noticed some criticism on here of the decor within the hotel. Well, it's a 3 or 400 year old house and the decor is appropriate for a house of that age - an ultra-modern post-modern interior would just not be right for a building of this age - wood panelling, high ceilings and period furniture are spot on.

From the arrival to checking out, the service is excellent; all the staff have an excellent attitude, very polite, attentive and friendly. Can't say any more than that really!

The food is excellent. Breakfast is full English, continental, or a choice of a few other options (e.g. wafels, boiled eggs) along with the usual toast, tea and/or coffee. As for dinners, the hotel has an excellent chef, with a good range of meals available with interesting ingredients, along with a more traditional and less-adventurous menu available in the lounge (where the quality of food is equally as good). There is an extensive wine list available too.

The spa facilities at the hotel are excellent - well maintained, very clean, and in a lovely environment. We spent a lovely afternoon swimming (in a good-sized indoor pool, much larger than most hotel swimming pools) and relaxing in the spa, and my wife had a scrub and massage which she said was very good.

There is redecorating work going on at present in the foyer/reception area but it does not get in the way of the day-to-day working of the hotel and appears to be part of the new management's changes and improvements.

The room we had (number 3) was a good size, nice bed, lovely view of the countryside (with nest of House Martins just outside adding a nice avian addition!), and en-suite facilities were good too, although the lack of a shower curtain was a bit odd.

Overall I have given the hotel 4 stars. It is an excellent place and would highly recommend it, but there are a few niggles that (at present) prevent it from getting a full 5 stars (reasons below) but I feel that the new management here have already got a number of the fundamentals right and are clearly working hard to present the full package. I'm sure that it will only be a matter of time before the New Park Manor Hotel is a top-notch hotel experience.

As mentioned, there were a couple of things that were not quite up to the standard of the rest of the hotel:
--- the bedding in the room was, I think, down rather than man-made and consequently was rather too hot for the summer. Both of us, including my wife who normally needs thick duvets, were simply too hot at night and struggled to sleep comfortably. Also, some people are allergic to down pillows and duvets
--- the tap and shower head on the bath was a bit wobbly, and the hot water pressure wasn't that strong (but not too weak either)
--- music in the lounge. It was nice to have the likes of of Sinatra, Dean Martin et al being played in the lounge, but please please please can you have more than the one CD playing all of the time? A little bit of variety would go a long way.

That said, this hotel does most things very well. The service overall is excellent, as is the food. The overall aspect and decor is lovely, and the spa is brilliant. And I also like the fact that young children are so well catered for here and a lot of thought has gone into looking after them. And the managers' pet dog (Daisy) is just lovely!

So all in all, a wonderful relaxing weekend for my wife and me and very pleasant surroundings and we would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart J
, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Hi Stuart,

First of all I would just like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about you stay. I'm so pleased that you both had a lovely time with us.

As you quit rightly say, we are in a transitional period with the hotel. In just 2 weeks time the works to the house will be complete and we will have our beautiful new Forest rooms back on sale, the new reception area will be finished (it's already looking fantastic), as will the new Snug and Blue room for the older kids. We are continually working hard to get the 'basics' right but feel that we are definitely heading in the right direction.

I totally agree with you about the music. We are investing so that we can have a continuous stream of music playing that will have a nice variance. I will also check regarding the duvets with our housekeeping teams and ensure lighter ones are put on.

We hope that you can make it back to us soon to see the new developments.....and of course Daisy will be bounding around the hotel saying hello to everyone as normal!

Best wishes

Steve & and team at New Park Manor
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We recently visited New Park Manor for a birthday visit having previously stayed there last year under the old management. What a difference! I noticed so many improvements immediately - the hotel has been opened up and the menu has changed so much for the better. Most of all though, the atmosphere has changed. It was lovely - the staff are all animated and really helpful, they look like they are enjoying their jobs. I had a full body massage on my birthday which was amazing followed by a really lovely dinner with my family and a delicious birthday cake made by the chef! Breakfast was really excellent and all in all we had a really relaxing break Our room in the eaves was small but we didn't spend much time in it so it was fine. Thank you to Steve and his team for making my birthday special.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Hollojelly
Newpark76, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you have seen improvements since your last visit. We are continually working hard in the hotel to make our guests stay the most enjoyable that we can. I will certainly pass your feedback on to the whole team and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again in the near future.
Best wishes.
Steve and the team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed at the New Park Manor over the Jubilee bank holiday weekend as it was advertised as having become part of the luxury family holidays group. I stayed with my husband and two small children. We stayed in room 1 which had little seperate area for the children to sleep in and my husband almost turned around and left as he was really unhappy with how dated everything was. Luckily we stayed and found the hotel has the most amazing spa but even better was the staff - particularly Casper in reception. They catered to every single need and were very attentive during our entire visit. We both had an amazing treatment with a lovely beauty therapist whose name escapes me but she's Spanish and was extremely friendly. The food on the whole was very good and breakfast was excellent. They have a creche with lots of things for kids to do and you can even leave them there for a session with Kirsty - needless to say my Daughter adored her! They are in the process of refurbishing more of the bedrooms to make the hotel even more child friendly so definitely recommend visiting.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Newpark76, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Hi Kerry,
Thanks for your review and we are pleased that you stayed with us and had a great time. Next week we are starting on our 2nd part of the refurbishment plan and will see the lobby area totally transform into the new reception area. The area outside of my office will also see a new staircase put in so that it is connected with the room above. This will create a beautiful and relaxing Snug for our guests to relax in, whilst upstairs will become a Blue Room with a pool table and games stations for the old kids. All of this will be ready for the middle of July and am more than sure it will be hugely enjoyed by our guests over the summer. We have got further plans for after the summer when our Refurb team will be making a start on the main house bedrooms in the Eve's.
Look forward to seeing you again in the near future hopefully.
New Park Manor Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!