“Still room to improve”
Review of New Park Manor

New Park Manor
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This revamp of an old De Vere hotel still has some way to go to make it top notch, although it was a good enough place for a stopover. The inauspicious entrance to this hotel creates a disappointing first impression and belies a much more stylish interior. The bedrooms, cosy as forewarned, and communal rooms have been done to a high contemporary standard and are really well stocked: the bathroom had copious amounts of Elemis products, an abundant supply of towels and the beds were really very comfortable. We could have done with a fridge and safe however and the noise from the other rooms was disturbing, the children on the other side and above could be heard clearly through the night and early in the morning, stomp, stomp, stomp! The food was great at breakfast but disappointing at dinner. The chateaubriand was really quite odd to taste and we had to leave it. The hotel did remove the £10 supplement for the beef but we still paid a handsome price for the course for two nonetheless. The restaurant also lacked atmosphere, people were talking in hushed tones so as not to be overheard. Come breakfast we were greeted rather rudely by a prim waitress announcing we were too early - at 7.25 - only to be followed in by three other families. It was odd given that other people were already in the restaurant eating and so we wondered if it was really too early for the waitress and not breakfast! Our only other disappiointment was the outdoor pool. On this the hotest weekend of the year so far, we were really looking forward to the morning in the outdoor pool with the kids. It was aged, small and looked dirty on the bottom. It is certainly one area in need of a revamp and was cleverly photographed so you couldn't see the fabric of it from the website. Despite being happy instead to go inside, the indoor pool was like a bath so not ideal given the weather. In all it did the job for a stopover, redeeming itself with the quality of the bedrooms and the comfort of the beds. Other than the morning waitress, the staff were all very friendly and the receptionist was charming.

Room Tip: Top floor room to avoid being disturbed by the stomping!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LondonTravelogue
Steve F, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that you have not been over enamored with our reception area. As a family hotel I think it is important to create a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere for our little ones to help them relax an settle from the moment they arrive, hence the toys and less than normal formal reception desk etc. I am sorry that you had noise issues whilst with us. I appreciate that if you are not travelling with children you are looking for some more peaceful times, and the team here always do their best to allocate rooms accordingly. We currently do not have fridges or safes in the rooms, but do have a fridge in the childrens changing room should our guests require, and our main hotel safe is always on hand to store any valuables. I will make sure the team reiterate this to our guests at check-in going forward. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal and found the restaurant too quiet even when full. I would be hugely grateful if you could email me some further details regarding this as to what you did not enjoy about your meal and how you think we could create a better atmosphere in the restaurant. My email is steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk. I note your disappointment with the breakfast service and will take this up with the team. Again, any further feedback re this would be great and if you have a name too. I am sorry you did not enjoy the outdoor pool. Unfortunately over last winter it became a little stained. We have done our best to remove it but it is not possible. The pool water is tested several times daily and all records kept to prove it is totally clean and safe as always. The lining is a little stained due to age and the photo on the website was taken last year as it was. Unfortunately without closing the pool down for 2 weeks I am unable to replace the lining. As the lining is in great condition, but a little stained, I would rather keep the pool open as it's a great place to relax and swim during this beautiful hot summer weather we are having. I look forward to getting further feedback from you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

My Wife and I stayed at New Park Manor with our pet Border Collie, we had a warm welcome and wonderful stay! The food here is amazing and you won't be disappointed with the surroundings. The Spa is also very nice and it's quite easy to spend hours relaxing in the many facilities on offer!

• Stayed: July 2013
Steve F, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and your 4 legged friend had a great time. We hope that you will be able to come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We booked an overnight spa package with a treatment, dinner and breakfast included. The staff were so welcoming, very friendly and seemed happy to be there. They worked hard to keep us comfortable - nothing was too much trouble. The spa facilities were good, and sitting outside with a glass of fizz was bliss. If I had to give any negatives I would say that although I enjoyed my massage I've had better and at about 3pm the pool was taken over by a parent and baby group. This didn't bother me, but if its likely to hinder your spa experience perhaps find out times for these classes and avoid going to the pool during them. Lastly the food was amazing!! Really yummy and great value for money since it was all included. I'd definitely recommend this hotel and like to come again especially after seeing how child-friendly they are - I may bring my daughter next time.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, facilities and lovely food whilst with us. The baby swim times are done in conjunction with our kids swim times so not to disturb the majority of the day when the spa is a kids free zone, but take on board you comment re this. we hope that you will be able to come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We had a super three days at this hotel ,Our room was lovely. I have a lung condition and when I eventually climbed the stairs to our room I was alarmed that we had feather pillows and duvet as am allergic to feathers. I asked reception of this could be changed and it was done straight away without any hesitation, the lady who did it was very concerned that the bed didn't look pretty enough because of the change. This did amuse me but attention to detail is clearly very important which is great.
The facilities in the spa are fantastic very clean and very well looked after, we had such a relaxing time in there. Sadly I was only able to have one treatment as the treatment rooms were fully booked up. I felt very disappointed because I was really looking forward to lots of treatments.
We only had one evening meal in the restaurant and the reason for this is because quite frankly I didn't really enjoy the food, it wasn't horrible but I felt although it looked pretty it wasn't really very tasty and need more flavour. I did address this at the time with the waitress and she said she would flag it up with chef. The breakfasts were very nice with a good choice for me there was enough breakfast but my husband could have done with extra
I also felt that the wine was very over priced, £8.50 for a glass of Chardonnay and the cheapest bottle of wine on the list was £19.50. I realise that the hotel is governed by prices from the companies that they buy from but I do think the prices were very high.
I'm saying all this just to alert people that's all it's just my feelings but don't be deterred from staying here because it is a fantastic place and I really enjoyed it and will be going back just not to eat an evening meal or partake of wine.

Room Tip: If you are disabled please be aware as there are no lifts and lots and lots of stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write you review. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, but would be really grateful for some further feedback on the dishes that did not meet your expectations and would service issues you were not happy with so that I can make the necessary changes. If you could contact me on steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk I would be really grateful. I am sorry that you did not get all of the treatments that you wanted. We do pre advise all of our guests to pre book in advance to avoid disappointment, as your rightly state we are very popular in the New Forest. We hope that you will be able to come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed with our five month old daughter and dog. On arrival the hotel looked great, and the reception staff could not have been more helpful. Our room was lovely and clean, everything we could possibly need for our stay was provided within the room.

We had planned to meet with some friends in the lounge area for afternoon tea. On arrival into the lounge we waited some time before anyone came over with menus. We then waited longer for someone to take our order, which seemed to be an inconvenience for them as I felt they wanted to get our order and get out the room asap. The afternoon tea arrived in dribs and drabs, and last but not least the plates and cutlery (which we had to ask for). We had booked to have dinner with our daughter at 6pm in a special dining area for parents with young children, again the service was sticky and we decided to drive into Lyndhurst for dinner instead. Breakfast the following morning was by far the worst, we were shown to our table and sat for 20minutes, at this point I asked a member of staff if any hot breakfast was available, to which he replied 'yes, what do you want', after not being offered or shown a menu and not wanting to risk the waiter leaving, and us having to wait even longer for someone to come back, we ordered two cooked breakfasts to keep it simple! In all fairness the breakfast was nice, and nicely presented.

On leaving the hotel, I was disappointed that the service had let them down so much, as everything else had been faultless. Unfortunately the level of service went from bad to worse, on our journey home, I realised that we had accidentally left our camera in the hotel room. We called the hotel immediately and asked them if they could retrieve it from the room, and if for any reason it was not there, to check the spa area as we did take it in the swimming pool area with us to get some pictures of our daughters first experience in a swimming pool. Considering our hotel room was a two minute walk from reception, it took for us to call them again two hours after the first phone call, to ask them if they had any update on finding the camera, to which they replied they was unsure as housekeeping had been in the room, so it may have been locked away. Long and short of it is, we had to call the hotel back numerous times to see if the camera had been retrieved and unfortunately it had not, which leads me to think housekeeping helped themselves to it. I feel if the staff at reception had simply walked round to our room when we contacted them, we may have been able to get our camera back, instead of waiting to check with housekeeping. Its not so much the monetary value of the camera, its the photos on there which were so precious to us, and I am lost for words that possibly someone within a 'luxury family hotel' has kept our camera and not done the good deed of handing it in.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank soph132

I would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss your review and the issues of service that you encountered. I would also like to discuss the issue of your missing camera and put to rest that our housekeeping team would most certainly not have stolen it. The hotel number is 01590 623467 or you can email me on steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We really enjoyed here. The staff really friendly, room great and felt really pampered.
Only down side was the restaurant was not up to scratch for the price you pay for a meal.

Will defiantly stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would be grateful to hear from you re the meal side of your stay so that I can make the necessary improvements, please feel free to email me on steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk. I'm really pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I went with a friend for two nights to chill out, use the spa facilities and be pampered with treatments. The facilities are superb both in the spa, treatment rooms and all that we saw for families. If only these wonderful family hotels were around when we had our young son; he would have had a wonderful time in the "den" and I would have welcomed the other facilities provided for babies and all the family. The staff were extremely friendly and caring. The food we found to be excellent. I think the cooked breakfast could be improved quantity-wise, maybe buffet style would be the answer. The help-yourself quality of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, nuts, seeds, etc. was extremely good, as was the choice. You do need to book your massages, etc. well in advance as they are very popular - the massage I had was excellent. and I was sorry we could not book any more treatments. If you have trouble with stairs ask for a lower room. I think the "family hotel" concept is excellent but, like me you can stay at the hotel without children and have a great time..

Room Tip: Check where the room is if you have trouble with stairs
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write you review. I'm really pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. If you have any specific comments re the hot breakfast I would be really pleased to here from you on steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk and I will make the necessary changes to ensure our offering is of the highest standard possible. I hope that you will be able to come back and see us again very soon.
Steve & the Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!