“such a shame :(”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Sussex
“such a shame :(”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We decided to stop here for afternoon tea, we have stayed in many lovely hotels and when we pulled into the car park thought maybe we had found a little jem we could maybe come and stay again as we have a baby and we already knew it was baby friendly. My first initial good impression soon started to disappear, we were taken to one of the side dining rooms, gorgeous room, gorgeous views but with rather cheap furniture, not what we expected.
After another long wait (We had already waited 20 minutes for 2 glasses of Champagne) we finally received our very disappointing afternoon tea consisting of slightly stale very simple sandwiches, scones were fine and the most disappointing of all the cakes!! 2 small slabs each of very dull tasteless sponge and and equally tasteless small chocolate slab and a strange tasting pannacotta.
Also I needed to change my baby so took him to the ladies toilet/babies kitchen which is a brilliant idea, especially if your staying as it has bottle warmers/fridge for baby food etc though the whole thing stank and completely filthy!! Dirty nappies overflowing all over the floor and just generally not very pleasant!!
Its such a shame as it could be a really lovely baby friendly hotel but sadly not one we'll be using :(

4 Thank Larlotte
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on this site, Im so sorry that we fell short of our usual high standards on the day of your visit.

Naturally our chef was very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the cakes, but has taken the feedback seriously and we are looking into our offering as we speak to ensure that we offer the best dishes that we can.

I was very disturbed to read of the toilet being anything less than spotless. We have stringent systems to ensure that all of our public areas are checked thoroughly and regularly so it was most frustrating to read of your disappointment.

Im convinced that, with the help of honest and constructive feedback, we can move our hotel forward and improve on the high standards that we set ourselves.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

A lovely country family hotel easily accessible from Lyndhurst, a quick run down from the M27 and only a few minutes from Poultons Park and Pepper Pig World. As a large group I was worried that we would struggle to find a hotel that would cater for 17 (6 children under 5 + 1 dog). However it was pleasing to see staff that coped well with us all. A wonderful terrace and garden for a long lunch and toys in the garden for children to play with. The children's Den and it's qualified staff gave is time to use the spa as well as babysitters later that night for an adult night out. A lovely hotel for families that may not suit a quiet romantic break, but that's where it hits the mark as a family hotel.

Stayed March 2014
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hi There from The new Forest

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a glowing review! The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much!

As I said at the time it was a genuine pleasure to take care of such an important occasion!
We hope you enjoyed the Anniversary Champagne as much as the picnic at Peppa Pig World!

We hope to welcome you all back soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We visited New Park Manor last week for two nights and were really impressed by several things. Firstly, the whole ambience - we settled in the lounge for lunch and it really felt like we were staying in a welcoming country house. The lunch itself felt a little pricey - my husband had a goats cheese tart for £8 which was very small.

They are really brilliantly well equipped for families. We took our 5 month old, and our friends brought along their 2 month old. It all felt like the hotel was totally set up for us - I particularly welcomed the free bottle sterilising service!

A fridge was also brought up to our room to keep milk cold, and the baby listening service in the evening was great as it allowed us to have a stress free dinner. The food in the evening (2 courses included in the price) was excellent, and the selection very good.

Swimming pool was really warm, so perfect for little ones, and the creche was spot on. I didn't feel confident enough to leave my 5 month old, but took him there outside of creche hours for a quick play. It was very clean and organised and the manager of the creche was extremely warm and welcoming. I would definitely feel happy leaving our son there for a few hours in the future - I think he'd love it!

Staff were, on the whole, really friendly and happy to help.

You are able to hear other people a bit in the next rooms - esp the babies, but we didn't particularly mind as we had a baby of our own!

Overall, a great break!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Greetings from the New Forest!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a glowing review!
We are so pleased that your family enjoyed the weekend and as I said at the time, it was a genuine pleasure to take care of such an important event.

We hope you enjoyed the Anniversary Champagne as much as you enjoyed the picnic at Peppa Pig World!

We hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future!
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

never been to this hotel before but thought i would treat my mother to afternoon tea. When we got there I had a look around the hotel and I must say the amount they go out of there way for to keep customers happy is outstanding. The spa had such a good location with deer running though the fields whilst you were bubbling away in the hot tub. A dog friendly hotel which was lovely as my dog Woolie was treated with a warm welcome. All in all a great hotel and me and my mother (and Woolie) had a great day.

Hi from the Forest!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review on this site.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon tea!

Woollie was a pleasure to have around the place and certainly seemed to enjoy the fuss made of him!

Please pop in soon and don't forget to bring Woollie!
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were given a voucher for a decadent afternoon tea here by some friends as a gift to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We booked a few weeks ago and arrived yesterday afternoon, dressed for the occasion expecting a warm welcome, and a lovely tea in elegant comfortable surroundings. On arrival the young couple at reception were clearly busy doing something else and directed us up the stairs saying some one would see to us up there.Well, there was no-one up there for some time. Eventually a waiter arrived and seemed a bit taken aback when we said we had booked for afternoon tea . He looked round for somewhere for us to sit. The quite small main lounge was full and he took us up to a half landing which contained lots of childrens toys, a small seating area and no views other than the car park. I asked if there was anywhere else we could sit, perhaps with a view of the gardens. After another pause, and clearly flustered, poor lad, he showed us to a small dining anteroom which contained a few tables,clearly a family eating area with several high chairs and basic seating. I could see the garden through the one window and my husband faced the high chairs. By now I was feeling rather upset as this was just not what we were expecting.There was a half eaten chip under our table and the room was generally a bit grimy.
In due course.... some time later, our tea arrived. Sandwiches, scones cream and jam were fine but the cakes were just tiny slices of basic plain tea, ginger and banana loaves - no sign of the - I quote " extra special New Forest Gateaux" mentioned in the blurb. Two pannacotta were also served but they were so highly flavoured with vanilla they were inedible. It was the sort of tea one would expect in a run of the mill village tea room, certainly not the high end experience we were so looking forward to. Now we face the difficulty of our friends who treated us asking how it went and that is very embarrassing too.
For any one interested I had afternoon tea at Carey's Manor in Brockenhurst for just £2 more a head a few months back. Wonderful service ambience and delicious food - total contrast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank woodcwbmwm
Im so sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to New Park.
I have shared your experience with the team here who share my disappointment.

We have served a similar tea menu for some time now, although the flavour of cakes does vary but I need to look into where the advertised New Forest Gateau is placed as this dish does not form part of our menu, I am sorry if you were expecting this and were disappointed.

I am sure that we can regain our laurels on your next visit and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon.
Southampton
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a spa day here with 14 other ladies ranging in age from 15 - 50.
As the organised I arrived first and was greeted by Ashleigh who gave me a rough itinerary of the day and his away the surprises organised for the bride.
When the others arrived, she ensured everyone had filled out medical forms and gave us all a tour of the spa facilities.
The spa itself is on the right hand side of the hotel and is set in the beautiful new forest. We were able to watch the deers in the near by forest whilst swimming in the pools! They had a lovely area outside aswel as inside with a hot tub and lots of seating.
Inside there is lovely changing rooms (could do with being much bigger and having actual changing cubicles) very clean and good facilities. We didn't need to bring out hair dryers or anything! We were given robes, towels and flipflops for the day which were very comfy.
One negative - they only came in one size. In our party we had a few plus sized ladies and the robes unfortunately were too small, so slightly embarrassing and uncomfortable at times.
I had a back massage. My therapist was very professional and the room was set up beautiful. Very tranquil, lovely music and warming massage oil.
After my massage I was directed to a room across the hall that sofas and lay down beds etc that was dark and relaxing. We had 1/2 hour treatments that were split into two.
In between the 2 sets of treatments we had a cream tea lunch. There was 2 scones each and unlimited tea and coffee which I felt was very good value for the price paid. They had made arrangements for one of our ladies who was dairy free and ensured they had spare chairs for 2 extra ladies who were unable to join as at the spa but were able to join us for tea. They even made arrangements for the ladies to have tea and coffee with us.
One giant plus is that nearly everywhere you went (even the swimming pool) there was jugs of fresh water with ice! Great especially when you are spending a lot of time in and out of saunas etc.

The entire day was fantastic from start to finish. It went without a hitch thanks to Ashleigh and her team of therapists and staff! We have one very happy bride to be!
Many thanks! We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed March 2014
Greetings from The New Forest!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your Spa Day with us and the team are thrilled you picked up so many of the little points that we offer.

Chef is also pleased that you enjoyed his afternoon tea and the unlimited tea!

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This place could be so good but it misses the mark, probably through a lack of leadership. There were lots of niggles that you wouldn't expect from a "luxury" hotel, it just wasn't clean enough, the food was patchy, our room was noisy from the people above - they weren't being noisy it was just that we were in a building not sound insulated to the degree one usually encounters in a hotel. But the biggest problem was the dead atmosphere. The staff were just about OK but they didn't create any kind of feel (of the ten or so staff we encountered three had a little sparkle about them, the rest were going through the motions), frankly we could have been in a Travel Lodge in Crawley. There was no feeling that they were a team who enjoyed working together, they seemed leaderless and mostly inexperienced.
There were good spots - the Crèche facilities were very good and we found an enthusiastic staff member here. The pool was good.
The food was not enjoyable. The second night the menu was a repeat and the "specials" were just the things they hadn't sold the previous night. The cooking was OK but the flavours were bland. The "Classic Tarte Tatin" was no such thing. Soggy pastry, baked apple chunks and a thin caramel sauce. Why do "chefs" feel the need to re-invent and ruin dishes that are actually "Classics"?
I'm sure the manager will respond to my low score and invite us back. Please don't bother, we won't, but it would have been good to see you there on the day marshalling your team.

4 Thank Iesq
Hi,

Im so sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us in The New Forest. it appears that we have fallen well short of our usual high standards on this occasion.

I have taken your feedback and used it in our management meetings so that we do not allow these misgiving to reoccur.

I would like to talk personally with you regarding your stay but I cannot match your reservation name to your TA name, please could you contact me on david.knight@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Balmer Lawn
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Lime Wood Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!