“Lots of positives but a little room for improvement.”
Review of New Park Manor

New Park Manor
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
London, United Kingdom
“Lots of positives but a little room for improvement.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 3 nights at this hotel. It was our first break with our 7 month old son, and overall it was really great. The crèche is a fantastic facility. The staff were great and our baby boy was so happy playing there each morning, he didn't even look up to say goodbye! My husband and I made the most of our time together in the spa, which was lovely, especially the outdoor hot tub. The views were delightful and even in the rain the hot tub was really enjoyable. The food was very good, although evening service was a little slow. We hired a babysitter for 2 evenings and they were both great, and allowed us to enjoy a relaxed dinner together. The service at every point was excellent. All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially regarding things needed for the baby.
Our room was lovely, spacious, and comfortable, however the living room area was very cold at night, as the door to the fire escape and the window in the living room, were very drafty. The only other thing I would say needed a little more attention was the cleanliness at times. Our room had a number of large cobwebs in, for the duration of our stay, and the high chair our son was given on the first day, had food stains and debris on the straps. Minor niggles really, and the three of us had a very lovely first family holiday, in a gorgeous location.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank JS-J09
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Greetings from a sunny New Forest!

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review of New Park Manor on this site.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that baby made the most of the superb crèche facilities, they are an asset to the hotel and constantly receive positive mentions!

It always pleases me when the team are mentioned on here as we work hard on attracting and training the right people, it means so much when that is recognised, thank you.

We work tirelessly on our standards of service and while we aim to be a relaxed version of professional we do aim high, so Im sorry if there were delays in food service.

The baby sitting service we offer is always popular and I will make sure they receive your praise, thanks again.

we hope we get the chance to look after you again shortly.

David and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just back from an excellent weekend at the New Park Manor Hotel. This is the third of the group's hotels we've stayed at. Like the rest it's designed as a luxury hotel for families. In most regards it hits the mark.

First the good. The hotel is a fabulous building in the middle of the New Forest. Great for a wide range of local attractions, many highly suitable for young kids. The creche is a great feature - our girls particularly enjoyed the "breakfast club" session that let us have a quiet morning. The whole hotel is set up for kids, with small but fun gardens with lots of activities, a couple of well stocked playrooms and a great selection of children's storybooks in every room. There is a nice indoor pool with both dedicated adult-only and children friendly times.

For parents, there's a good spa, fine food and, of course the creche!

The staff were uniformly extremely friendly, we had a really warm welcome from the manager, David, and everywhere we went all the staff did whatever it took to make use feel welcome. They were particularly good with our 5 year olds. The creche staff were outstanding.

We had a marvellous weekend.

There were a couple of areas where things could be a little better. We found the food service a bit slow - which can be frustrating when you have a couple of bored and hungry girls to look after. There were also a couple of mistakes with our orders, though these were quickly and politely fixed. Though the spa was a very welcome moment of relaxation, the massages we got were only decent rather than very good.

Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable time. We'll certainly be returning to this and other hotels from the group. They're fairly expensive, but as a parent, I find them a real oasis and our girls absolutely love them. Just what we need.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello from The New Forest!

Thanks so much for talking the time to leave your review on this site.
The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities to be so family friendly.

Ive passed your comments on to the team about their friendliness and thank especially for mentioning me during your arrival, its always lovely to be remembered!

The gardens are lovely and especially at this time of year, and you're right they are well stocked, we are working on increasing the facilities by the purchase of a cool bell tent for the summer and possibly a tree swing, so theres more reason come back!

The Den team are always a hit and they are an asset to the hotel, we are delighted that your girls enjoyed spending time there.

We are constantly striving to make the food service better and we take your feedback on board, so thank you for that.

Im so pleased that you had such a great time and we look forward to welcoming you all back soo

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We chose New Park Manor to celebrate my husband's birthday and to use as a base to get to Peppa Pig World.

I was there with my husband and my two children - ages 3 and 5. Having stayed at Moonfleet Manor previously the children couldn't wait to get into the creche - which was where they rushed in as soon as we arrived to check in. No complaints at all about that - except we weren't able to get the time slot we wanted on our second day.

All food was excellent, although it is pretty pricey. We were on the Anniversary package which allowed us one dinner and two glasses of champagne. We drank the champagne as soon as we'd unpacked - enjoying the calm. Our dinner was superb. I had asked for a birthday cake, which was lovely, and not too expensive - and a picnic was pulled together at very short notice on the morning we left.

The suite - two bedrooms and a bathroom - was tiny but more than adequate. We loved the monsoon walk-in shower and the roll top bath. The children were very impressed with the mini fridge - useful for our leftover picnic bits as we could then take them away with us instead of binning them.

Service was also excellent - a real can-do attitude - as bed guards and step were supplied (to our room) on request. Only one receptionist was a little cool but everyone else was super friendly.

The spa and pool were also great. The restricted swim times for children - 8-10 and 3 - 6(?) were a surprise but were not a problem at all. It would have been nice to have another therapist as spa treatment slots were pretty hard to come by. Only the broken shampoo dispensers in the showers in the ladies changing rooms let them down. They were just a bit yucky.

We would go again in a shot. It was expensive, but we all left feeling like we'd had fun; and that we'd had a chance to relax/play.

On the 'luxury' side - the prices are luxury, but the style is very much 'shabby chic'. The trappings are there, just sometimes a little blurred around the edges. If you're with your family I don't think that is a problem.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Greetings from The New Forest!

Thank you so much for leaving such a detailed and positive review on this site.
The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed you and your family enjoyed your stay....and secretly thrilled that you find us to be your favourite!

We aim to have all of our guests contacted a week prior to arrival by The Den team now to avoid families not getting their preferred slots, we understand that not everyone knows which slot they want but it is working and generally we please the vast majority of families this way.

We are so pleased that you found the dinner and service to be top notch and Ive passed your comments on to the teams.

I am very pleased that you found the team to be super friendly and have a can do attitude, we work hard on recruiting the right people and training so its lovely when these efforts are noticed.

it certainly sounds like you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back....hopefully "in a shot!"

crazytreamtravel
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed for a weekend (couple with three year old). Having stayed at other hotels in the Luxury Family hotels, we were expecting much more. Our room was in a new wing. The room was small and completly lacked character. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable.

The hotel is small (was full when we were there), which does not provide much space. Wifi in the hotel is very poor and my mobile phone did not get reception. The hotel mush upgrade its wifi!!

The pool/spa are is new and is the best part of the property. For a family hotel we found the swim times for kids restrictive. The staff in the creche is also good.

The hotel was both understaffed and the training of the staff was average. Generally friendly, other than the reception which was just terrible--particularly on check in. Also the hotel is so small, when sitting in one of the common areas you could overhear the staff complaining amonst themselves about their shifts, fellow staff memebers etc...not pleasant.

Food was in the restuarant was slow and dinners last hours--and was at best average!! I don't think the kitchen is large enough to handle the size of hotel!

The hotel could use some bikes for hire (easily) as there are good trails. We did do some walks in the country which were nice.

We travelled by train and then took a taxi which was very easy and quick from London.

It is unlikely we would return to this hotel and frankly are questioning if we would return to the Luxury family resorst.

5 Thank Crazyteamtravel
Hello from Brokenhurst,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review new Park Manor on this site.
We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have certainly addressed the issue of staff complaining in public areas, Im so sorry that you overheard this. Its not only uncomfortable for you but highly unusual, we have a very happy team here who do work hard but because they genuinely enjoy themselves.

Im so pleased you enjoyed the Spa facilities and you're right, it is relatively new, as was the room you stayed in. We usually receive great feedback aout these rooms as they are larger and more practical due to their shape, but Im sorry if this did not meet your expectations.

We do try to make dinner a leisurely affair, especially when adults are dining without children as this is one of the main reasons guests choose to stay here, to have the children listened out for while they enjoy a relaxed dinner.

We actually have a number of bikes on site and they are easily booked at reception, the information is in the guest information pack in the rooms, or make the request at reception and we'd be delighted make the necessary arrangements for you, should our stock run out...they are very popular!

Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

David and the team.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My boyfriend and I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel, such a pretty location. Our room was decorated tastefully, very comfy beds. The staff were very friendly but maybe a little untrained as some things were mixed up but didnt really bother us. The food is definitely not a selling point, it's ok but nothing to write home about. I had a treatment which was average....I think they might need to work on this area a little bit. If you are not keen on kids this is not the hotel for you, they are everywhere!!!!! I thought there would be a child free area (like the snug) but that's not the case. Overall I enjoyed our stay but if you are looking for top class luxury you wont get it here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ColB17
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Greetings from The New Forest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on this site. Its always nice to hear that our guests have enjoyed themselves.

I have to say that Chef was disappointed to hear your thoughts on the food, we usually receive such positivity in this field, but we take your comments and use them to move forward.

We are very child friendly as you point out and one of main aims is to ensure that families with all their needs can relax and make use of the facilities and areas in a care free and leisurely manner. Im pleased to say that this makes our atmosphere one of friendliness and relaxation.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'll start off with the good things....: Lucy the children's club manager and her team are great: our 5 yo and 3 yo really loved going to it, and having access to the creche room outside of club hours was also useful. The pool itself is also nice - good size, very warm and nice little sauna and steam rooms attached. And where the hotel is located is also good for access to the Forest.

And the poor..... the hotel is not clean: everything you touch feels sticky.... food from dinner service is still on the floor at breakfast time, tables and high chairs are lucky to get a cursory wipe. And the smell of damp is completely overwhelming esp. in the 'cinema' room. Our 3 yo has a severe nut allergy, but the breakfast buffet did not include any information about which foods had nuts in them - and when we pointed this out (isn't this a food standards requirement?) no action was taken. The food is poor for the price. Whenever we could we ate out, and by our 3rd night, we had taken to buying food from m+s for dinner and eating in our room because the menu in the restaurant didn't change at all: very very average. We booked 2 spa treatments - 1 was terrible and the other was.... average.

If the hotel billed itself as a middle range family hotel (and priced itself that way) it would have been ok, but to pay for what is described as a luxury experience.... well, a really big disappointment.

5 Thank 775mins
Hello from Hampshire!

Thank you for talking the time to leave a review for New Park Manor on this site, constructive feedback is always welcome.

I am sorry that your son picked a croissant topped with almonds from the buffet, we do take every care to obtain as much detail as we can during the reservation making process and ask as many questions as we feel we can, unfortunately we were not aware of the allergy so I do apologise for any concern caused.

I am also concerned to read that you do not feel we offer value in our restaurant, as discussed we are more than happy to offer the lighter Manor menu or for guests to enjoy fewer courses should this be more appropriate to their needs.

I understand that there was some confusion over the treatment offered and although I am pleased that team took the initiative to remove any charge for this, I do apologise for the confusion.

I hope we can welcome you back to the New Forest soon.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Husband, 9 year old son and I booked New Park Manor to celebrate my 40th birthday after reading the many favourable reviews on Trip Advisor. I appreciate that there are many happy guests who have stayed here but I honestly thought we'd gone to a totally different place to the one that was depicted
I will not go into the finer details as the Manager did a good job at persuading us to stay after making it clear that we intended to check out after the first night. The Manager himself was very courteous and apologetic and went to great lengths to compensate us for the issues that we encountered.
Due to the Manager's intervention, I thankfully had a pleasant birthday evening. It is a shame that this was only achieved by my complaining.
The hotel surroundings are really lovely. The hotel itself is pleasant enough although not what I would call luxurious by any means. The facilities were adequate, again nothing special. Our "Forest" bedroom was ok. Very standard size and layout, The bonuses being the comfy bed and views from the window. The food was also good. Both dinner and breakfast were very nice and of a good standard. The spa/pool area were pleasant, but nothing more than that.
There are many things that let this hotel down. First and foremost, the service is seriously lacking. The majority of the staff are untrained, unfriendly, have zero enthusiasm and have little, if any product knowledge. The exception is Ben. He is a credit to this hotel with his friendly, professional and attentive manner.
There also appeared to be a few things that were not working. The outdoor hot tub was out of action for quite some time. The mens changing room was not in use. There was an xbox for older children however no tv on which to play it! Our bathroom had a tv but the remote control didn't have any batteries in.
Prices for drinks are verging on outrageous. I am well aware that hotel prices are above average but £8.20 for a small 175ml glass of wine is a joke. General rack rate prices are also laughable. We are talking in excess of £300 per night on a bed and breakfast basis. I really do not know how the establishment can justify this!
I know from my conversation with the Manager that he is new to the hotel and had been in his role a matter of weeks. I really hope he can turn the place around by ensuring that current practices are looked into and improvements made as a priority.
I wouldn't go back to New Park Manor, nor would I recommend it either. There are other hotels in the vicinity that are much better all round and for a lot less money.

6 Thank MrsR1974
Hello from Hampshire!

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of New Park Manor on this site.

I would also like to thank you for your comments about me personally, although I am concerned that whilst we spoke at length about the issues you encountered on your first evening, it would appear I could not change your mind despite my best efforts. At the time, I felt sure we had corrected any perceived shortcomings. I do apologise if I was incorrect.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your birthday meal and massage in the afternoon and sincerely hope that we can welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!