“Excellent young family break but very pricey”
Review of New Park Manor

New Park Manor
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent young family break but very pricey”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed from Sunday to Wednesday in August with our 10 week and 2 year old. We went to Manor Park because we had a recommendation from friends. It is right in the middle of the New Forest in a good setting beside a farm, a polo venue and a couple of campsites. It is a good distance from the main road.

Reception were generally helpful but sometimes seemed understaffed. We had to wait half an hour to check-in. The patio doors to the entrance are not easy to negotiate with buggies. The hotel could really do with an easier route from reception to the rest of the ground floor for buggies. Otherwise it is up a flight of stairs or through a couple of single doorways and over raised thresholds. The hotel would be well served by a lift.

We really liked the room. Room no.1, named 'Henry' was big as two adjoining rooms - one a big hotel room with a good view and another sort of reception/bed room with two z beds for children with side bars to stop them falling out. The z beds can fit an adult but are far from comfortable. There's plenty of space for a cot in here too. The bathroom was off this room and was a good size with good facilities. The room also had a split system air conditioning, which was a real bonus in the hot weather we've had. The rooms also achieve a good ‘black-out’ for getting children to sleep.

The food was very good and the waiting staff very courteous and helpful. The food often took a long time to turn up, particularly breakfast and lunch, which doesn't suit young children. If the weather is good, my tip would be to grab your table, order your food and go play outside, asking the staff to give you a shout when it's ready. We would have liked to see a change of the dinner menu for the three nights we stayed. We enjoyed our three evening meals utilising the listening service. The BT handheld ‘monitors’ did not work well in the main dining room, presumably because of the thick traditional construction walls. They seemed to work fine in the side dining room though. We were not the only ones to have this problem and the hotel should really sort this out. A relaxing meal becomes significantly less relaxing if your child monitor is not working!

We enjoyed the heated outdoor pool very much, which was a good temperature. We saw this being cleaned and it had a good cover.

Breast feeding around the hotel was not a problem and my wife was made to feel this was OK and normal (as it is of course). There were other mothers with breast feeding children being fed in communal areas. This is a big plus as no one wants to spend most of their break in the room or hiding elsewhere to breast feed.

There were not many children's toys outside except for a big trampoline and a couple of toy cars. I understood from talking to the manager that this was about to be improved significantly. I hope that is the case.

We used the childcare facility in 'The Den' for 2 hours for 3 days. This was great and my 2 year old daughter enjoyed it very much. The carer, Lucy is excellent and an asset to the hotel. The indoor 'Den' was very good. The outdoor area could do with newer facilities including a soft floor.

My wife used the gym and was pretty happy with it. She also enjoyed her massage. I enjoyed the lounge where I sat and read the paper for the first time in a long while whilst I ordered tea.

We very much enjoyed our stay and would probably go back again, if we can afford it. We paid circa £1,500 half board including childcare for three nights in a family room/suit. Bearing in mind that you can get 2 weeks half board holiday in a 4* Greek island resort with Mark Warner inc. childcare (out of school holidays) for £2,600, this was a big outlay!​

Room Tip: We were in the Henry room (room no.1,) which were were happy with. There is, I understand only one o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank johnbartley75
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Greeting from The New Forest and thank you so much for your detailed review.

Im so pleased you enjoyed your stay and it certainly looks like you made the most of our wonderful setting and facilities.

Henry is a great room with loads of space for a family and has great views across the parkland too.

You're right of course in that we have absolutely no problem with breast feeding in the hotel or its grounds, and you're right again..why would we?

We are aiming to have some large outdoor play equipment in the future and we are updating the smaller equipment all the time to make sure that they are all in tip top condition at all times.

The team are delighted that you found them to be friendly and efficient, exactly what we aim for!

I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to New Park Manor in the near furture.

David and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Rather disappointing - was recommended it and expected it to live up to the 'luxury family hotel' especially with the price - we paid 370 per night!!

Good points:
Family friendly
Nice food for kids
Creche (Den is great - lovely ladies and lots of toys)

Overall design is tired. Entrance is very basic and does not create a great feeling upon arrival. Reception staff aren't particularly welcoming or warm - i carried my toddler's bag up to my room and i'm almost 9 months pregnant - only half way up did the reception offer!? She then later lugged our luggage up while i bought smaller bags up after her - where is the porter?! That's not a luxurious arrival!

Rooms are ok - up market premier inn. You expect a lot more for 370 per night.

Outdoor pool - very tired. no towels. steps in to deep end rickety. This is the only pool that children are allowed in all day but if it wasn't a sunny day (which in england you can't guarantee) you would be pretty annoying as other than the trampoline, there isn't much to do.

Indoor pool - only allowed in with children during 8-10am, 3-5pm. In a family hotel, you would expect more family time!

Food menu - same each night - small menu - we were there 6 nights so this got very tedious! When we ordered sea bass it was a tiny portion! tasted nice but v small.

spa - treatments are average.

LImewood house is 2 miles from here - you can get a room there for 315 per night - i would stay there - it's considerably better than this place and family friendly!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank cat r
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review New park Manor, Im sorry that it appears we have not lived up to your expectations on this visit.

We don't have dedicated concierge as such but we do have a well trained and eager team that are delighted tom help with any luggage on arrival and it concerns me that our receptionist was not quicker with their offer of assistance.

The pool times are slightly longer than mentioned and our indoor pool is open until 6pm for children, this is to allow parents some free time to themselves and relax, it's your holiday too after all!

Im sorry that you feel that there is not much to do in the garden and did not make use of the rest of our facilities such as the crèche, blue room where we keep our Xbox, internet computers and table football, cinema room or indeed the garden games such as vintage croquet, cricket, swing ball, football, badminton and bell tent that houses our crèche team during the day offering story time, arts and crafts or just a place for the kids to chill out and make friends.

We hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Gimont, France
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We paid £120 for the use of the spa and two treatments. The spa is very small, 5 seats in total, the same number of hooks for towels/robes etc, over subscribed with lots of families and children. No warning on booking that this would/could be the case. It's definitely not a Spa!
The changing rooms were dirty, robes and towels in a pile on the floor the bin was overflowing with hand towels and there were empty glasses everywhere.
Massage was the best part but we could see the girls were understaffed and over worked.
We booked to stay overnight and the quote we received far exceeded the special offer rate online £315 Dinner B&B we were quoted as opposed to £230 online.I challenged this and was offered a rate of £265 which we accepted as arguing can ruin a relaxing weekend once onsite and relaxing was the whole point of staying here, but still it seemed duplicitous considering the rate offered online…
We love our daughter but we were on an adult away weekend, some guidance on this from the hotel when we booked, as we stated 2 adults, would have been appreciated seeing as the hotel was full of families with very young children so why was our room located above the outside play/eating area when they knew we were two adults on our own? we would have stayed in another hotel.
Dinner was lovely and the staff were superb on Friday evening.
We slept very well in the comfy beds..the best part of our stay!
Would I go back - No
Would I recommend this hotel to others - Not adults but families would enjoy it
For the price there are many more wonderful hotels with far superior standards and better quality facilities even for those with families.
A shame for our very rare time away on our own :-(

Room Tip: Not a room above the outdoor eating/play area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Terralinarose
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of New Park Manor.
I have raised your concerns over the tidiness of the changing rooms with our Spa Manager who certainly takes your comments on board and has discussed them with her team.

Im pleased that the initial confusion over the publicised rate was manoeuvred and a swift resolution found, but I apologise for any distress this could have caused.

The hotel itself is part of a group called Luxury Family Hotels and our target market is squarely aimed at families. We make no excuses or apologies for this and we take great care with our marketing and web sites to ensure that all of our guests are aware of what facilities and services we offer.

I am sorry that New Park is not the hotel for you when enjoying an adult only break but we would delighted to welcome your family at a later date.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I don’t usually complain and I would consider myself a very well travelled person. I have been travelling for over a decade and have stayed at luxury hotels in Malaysia, Dubai, London, Manchester Hong Kong and many others. I have stayed at fours season hotels, Hilton group, Radisson, crowne plaza, and so forth.
I believe that I have a good eye for hotel quality and value.
I strongly believe that this hotel is falsely advertised. It is advertised as “ a luxury family hotel” and I paid in excess of £240 per night!!
I only chose to book it because of the fact I have a young 3 month old and I wanted a treat for my family.
I was utterly disappointed,
The front entrance is small and off to the side, not an inviting grand courtyard as you would expect from the pictures on the website.
As soon I walked in, the reception staff had little knowledge of the local area, could not initially find my booking, even tough I had paid a hefty deposit. They also had NO LIFT facilities and so I was left carrying my luggage by myself to the bedroom. Not exactly luxury service with a wife and baby!
There was no concierge, just a single female receptionist who was not available 24 hours.
The room was small and pokey and awful considering I was paying 250 pounds per night.
I cannot phathom how anyone can ask for so much money and offer so little.
Truly awful hotel. Avoid at all costs!!. You are paying for a third rate hotel.

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel. maybe book well in advance if you need to stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Mobeen A
greetings from the New Forest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, Im sorry that you feel the hotel did not match your expectations on this visit.

We don't have a concierge as such but we do have a dedicated and friendly team who are eager to assist in any way they can so Im sorry that you carried your luggage yourself, this is not out usual standard at all.

Our receptionist team, including night managers are available 24 hours a day to assist wherever necessary and in any way they can, so I apologise if there has been any confusion on this issue.

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back in the future and you are able to see the improvements that we are making constantly.

Bosham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

From the friendly staff to all the child friendly touches, this was a perfect two night break. The staff in the crèche are fantastic, and our girls enjoyed their time in The Den. Extra activities such as crafting and storytelling were all complimentary.
The food was very good. Children's menus all very well thought out with good extras. Adult food was a little pricey but certainly of a good quality. The spa is superb. My husband enjoyed the ice shower and it was great to have a big spa pool instead of a little jacuzzi. Sitting on the terrace having a drink and looking out to the forest was a treat. There were around 50 deer next to the outdoor pool - a magical sight. We spent a lot of time in the heated outdoor pool, and would love to return soon. The staff are to be commended, particularly Lauren and Lucy in The Den, and the smiley cleaner who services out room, not to mention restaurant staff who went out of their way. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Eciloppots
Thank you for such a glowing review of New Park Manor!

Im so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and that the team made a difference to your time with us.

I have passed on your comments to the team who are delighted that they were mentioned in such a positive way, we are a friendly bunch and comments like yours go a long way in motivation and job satisfaction, thank you.

We do put a lot of effort into our menus and your comments have delighted chef and his team.

It certainly looks like you have made the most of our facilities and we hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Sunbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My wife, girls and I stayed here and had a really great time. The kids loved playing in the large grounds and loved both swimming pools. The Den (kids club) was great for the girls, they couldn't wait to go in (usually they're reluctant at this kind of thing). This also meant that my wife and I could have some time relaxing on our own.

We had a great stay, the only downside was the lack of variety on the menu in the restaurant, but for a short four night stay this was ok.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for such a great review of New Park Manor!

The team and I are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and made full use of all of our exciting and relaxing facilities.

The Den team are a real asset and they are constantly receiving glowing reviews and I have passed your comments onto them.

We are lucky to have two pools and they are both very popular, Im so pleased you managed to make the most of them both.

We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a relaxed style country house hotel, pretty but not too precious so relaxing to stay with kids. We enjoyed the outdoor pool but the indoor pool looked nice too. We had a 2 room suite which was not huge but accommodated as all fine. The location was amazing, I would have liked to stay for longer. Restaurant service was friendly in a pleasant dining room.

• Stayed July 2014
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
hello from Brockenhurst,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review!

The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and thrilled that you mention the staff in such a positive way.

The restaurant service is aimed to sit in the professional but friendly bracket and Im so pleased that you agree with the feel.

We are lucky to enjoy two pools in season and the outdoor pool is very popular all day with our guests.

I think you're right about the feel of the hotel too, we don't aim to be precious at all as its important that our guests can relax and feel at home!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

David and the team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Balmer Lawn
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Lime Wood Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!