“Birthday treat”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel as a birthday treat. I’d booked their function room a year ago for a birthday party and had had a wonderful time so we looked forward to our return.

It is in a super location right in the middle of the forest with a herd of deer living in the fields just beyond the hotel (look out for the white one). Brockenhurst station is only about a mile away if you are travelling by train and it has free WIFI.

Our room was on the first floor and elegantly furnished with a large sash window overlooking the garden. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. There was a TV & DVD player in the room with tea/coffee making facilities. The three course dinner is beautifully presented and delicious being served in one of three rooms at the back of the hotel overlooking the croquet lawn.

Your hotel stay includes entry to the spa which has a large swimming pool with Jacuzzis, warm tiled seat with footbath, sauna rooms etc. Just outside is a lovely café and do try the outdoor Canadian Hot Tub. It’s a delight to sit in here, relax and enjoy the views of the forest.

This is a hotel for families so do expect the giggles of excited children if you are an adults only party. The hotel lays on lots of activities to entertain them.

Sadly during our stay we had several issues which the management took seriously and resolved to our satisfaction. Their prompt attention was much appreciated and I was impressed by the level of customer service.

I know you will enjoy your stay at this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: There are no rooms on the ground floor so please be aware if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Greetings from the New Forest and thank you for your review.

Im so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that any issues encountered were dealt with sincerely and professionally.

Chef is delighted that you enjoyed the food so much and he thanks you for sharing your thoughts on here.

You're right about the location, we are very lucky to be right in the heart of The New Forest.

The team an d I hope to get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

David and the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked over one year ago to go to what I thought was going to be a fantastic hotel. On arrival there was a couldnt care less attitude check in, the room was smaller than expected and hot. I asked for a small fridge which we eventually found but it had not been washed out an has a smell as my mother needed to have medication kept cool, There were no mugs in the room and also no safe to keep our items. We were told to manually lock the door or else it would be left open. On using the spa there was no receptionist and the watere jets in the pool were not working along with one of the foot spas. The breakfast was good but the waitress had no personality, we were left with used plates on the table and the smoked haddock which was ordered was still frozen in the middle. We asked for coffee on the 2nd morning and the cafeteria was filled with water but not coffee. Whe we explained this we got a curt look and not even an apology. On checking out we were not asked did we enjoy our stay, nothing. No customer service. I have to say one redeming feature was on arrival back into the hotel on the saturday evening we asked for some milk for the room and the young man could not have been more helpful, he had a lovely personality and even said have a good evening - he was charming and a total pleasure. Considering we paid £100 each per night for bed and breakfast I would have expected a more professional service and certainly the team to appreciate their guests. I will not be returning back to them....

Room Tip: The room was very quiet but very very hot and small, looking tired - did have tea and coffee facilit...
11 Thank 42lynnp
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of New Park Manor, Im so sorry that we did not match our usual high standards of service on this occasion.

I have discussed your comments with the team here who are as unhappy as I am that we did not match your expectations and as a team we take comments on board.

The spa jets have now been repaired Im pleased to say. It is always frustrating to see equipment fail.
I offer no excuses for the unapologetic waitress and her coffee mishap, this is unacceptable and Im sure that following corrective training this will not happen again.

Im sure that should you return to New Park you will notice a significant improvement in standards and attention to detail.

Hampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay. Felt comfortable there with a 6 year old and a baby. My 6 year old decided it was the best ever holiday. Staff are very helpful and nothing too much trouble. Beautiful food, amazing staff at the crèche. Thank you

• Stayed August 2014
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hi there from The New Forest and thank you fro such a great review!

Im so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and felt comfortable with your family here, that's exactly what we aim for. Im sure that you and your family managed to make the most of our excellent facilities.

The team are thrilled that they helped in making your stay a memorable on we all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed from Sunday to Wednesday in August with our 10 week and 2 year old. We went to Manor Park because we had a recommendation from friends. It is right in the middle of the New Forest in a good setting beside a farm, a polo venue and a couple of campsites. It is a good distance from the main road.

Reception were generally helpful but sometimes seemed understaffed. We had to wait half an hour to check-in. The patio doors to the entrance are not easy to negotiate with buggies. The hotel could really do with an easier route from reception to the rest of the ground floor for buggies. Otherwise it is up a flight of stairs or through a couple of single doorways and over raised thresholds. The hotel would be well served by a lift.

We really liked the room. Room no.1, named 'Henry' was big as two adjoining rooms - one a big hotel room with a good view and another sort of reception/bed room with two z beds for children with side bars to stop them falling out. The z beds can fit an adult but are far from comfortable. There's plenty of space for a cot in here too. The bathroom was off this room and was a good size with good facilities. The room also had a split system air conditioning, which was a real bonus in the hot weather we've had. The rooms also achieve a good ‘black-out’ for getting children to sleep.

The food was very good and the waiting staff very courteous and helpful. The food often took a long time to turn up, particularly breakfast and lunch, which doesn't suit young children. If the weather is good, my tip would be to grab your table, order your food and go play outside, asking the staff to give you a shout when it's ready. We would have liked to see a change of the dinner menu for the three nights we stayed. We enjoyed our three evening meals utilising the listening service. The BT handheld ‘monitors’ did not work well in the main dining room, presumably because of the thick traditional construction walls. They seemed to work fine in the side dining room though. We were not the only ones to have this problem and the hotel should really sort this out. A relaxing meal becomes significantly less relaxing if your child monitor is not working!

We enjoyed the heated outdoor pool very much, which was a good temperature. We saw this being cleaned and it had a good cover.

Breast feeding around the hotel was not a problem and my wife was made to feel this was OK and normal (as it is of course). There were other mothers with breast feeding children being fed in communal areas. This is a big plus as no one wants to spend most of their break in the room or hiding elsewhere to breast feed.

There were not many children's toys outside except for a big trampoline and a couple of toy cars. I understood from talking to the manager that this was about to be improved significantly. I hope that is the case.

We used the childcare facility in 'The Den' for 2 hours for 3 days. This was great and my 2 year old daughter enjoyed it very much. The carer, Lucy is excellent and an asset to the hotel. The indoor 'Den' was very good. The outdoor area could do with newer facilities including a soft floor.

My wife used the gym and was pretty happy with it. She also enjoyed her massage. I enjoyed the lounge where I sat and read the paper for the first time in a long while whilst I ordered tea.

We very much enjoyed our stay and would probably go back again, if we can afford it. We paid circa £1,500 half board including childcare for three nights in a family room/suit. Bearing in mind that you can get 2 weeks half board holiday in a 4* Greek island resort with Mark Warner inc. childcare (out of school holidays) for £2,600, this was a big outlay!​

Room Tip: We were in the Henry room (room no.1,) which were were happy with. There is, I understand only one o...
1 Thank johnbartley75
Greeting from The New Forest and thank you so much for your detailed review.

Im so pleased you enjoyed your stay and it certainly looks like you made the most of our wonderful setting and facilities.

Henry is a great room with loads of space for a family and has great views across the parkland too.

You're right of course in that we have absolutely no problem with breast feeding in the hotel or its grounds, and you're right again..why would we?

We are aiming to have some large outdoor play equipment in the future and we are updating the smaller equipment all the time to make sure that they are all in tip top condition at all times.

The team are delighted that you found them to be friendly and efficient, exactly what we aim for!

I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to New Park Manor in the near furture.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Rather disappointing - was recommended it and expected it to live up to the 'luxury family hotel' especially with the price - we paid 370 per night!!

Good points:
Family friendly
Nice food for kids
Creche (Den is great - lovely ladies and lots of toys)

Overall design is tired. Entrance is very basic and does not create a great feeling upon arrival. Reception staff aren't particularly welcoming or warm - i carried my toddler's bag up to my room and i'm almost 9 months pregnant - only half way up did the reception offer!? She then later lugged our luggage up while i bought smaller bags up after her - where is the porter?! That's not a luxurious arrival!

Rooms are ok - up market premier inn. You expect a lot more for 370 per night.

Outdoor pool - very tired. no towels. steps in to deep end rickety. This is the only pool that children are allowed in all day but if it wasn't a sunny day (which in england you can't guarantee) you would be pretty annoying as other than the trampoline, there isn't much to do.

Indoor pool - only allowed in with children during 8-10am, 3-5pm. In a family hotel, you would expect more family time!

Food menu - same each night - small menu - we were there 6 nights so this got very tedious! When we ordered sea bass it was a tiny portion! tasted nice but v small.

spa - treatments are average.

LImewood house is 2 miles from here - you can get a room there for 315 per night - i would stay there - it's considerably better than this place and family friendly!!!!

10 Thank cat r
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review New park Manor, Im sorry that it appears we have not lived up to your expectations on this visit.

We don't have dedicated concierge as such but we do have a well trained and eager team that are delighted tom help with any luggage on arrival and it concerns me that our receptionist was not quicker with their offer of assistance.

The pool times are slightly longer than mentioned and our indoor pool is open until 6pm for children, this is to allow parents some free time to themselves and relax, it's your holiday too after all!

Im sorry that you feel that there is not much to do in the garden and did not make use of the rest of our facilities such as the crèche, blue room where we keep our Xbox, internet computers and table football, cinema room or indeed the garden games such as vintage croquet, cricket, swing ball, football, badminton and bell tent that houses our crèche team during the day offering story time, arts and crafts or just a place for the kids to chill out and make friends.

We hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Gimont, France
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We paid £120 for the use of the spa and two treatments. The spa is very small, 5 seats in total, the same number of hooks for towels/robes etc, over subscribed with lots of families and children. No warning on booking that this would/could be the case. It's definitely not a Spa!
The changing rooms were dirty, robes and towels in a pile on the floor the bin was overflowing with hand towels and there were empty glasses everywhere.
Massage was the best part but we could see the girls were understaffed and over worked.
We booked to stay overnight and the quote we received far exceeded the special offer rate online £315 Dinner B&B we were quoted as opposed to £230 online.I challenged this and was offered a rate of £265 which we accepted as arguing can ruin a relaxing weekend once onsite and relaxing was the whole point of staying here, but still it seemed duplicitous considering the rate offered online…
We love our daughter but we were on an adult away weekend, some guidance on this from the hotel when we booked, as we stated 2 adults, would have been appreciated seeing as the hotel was full of families with very young children so why was our room located above the outside play/eating area when they knew we were two adults on our own? we would have stayed in another hotel.
Dinner was lovely and the staff were superb on Friday evening.
We slept very well in the comfy beds..the best part of our stay!
Would I go back - No
Would I recommend this hotel to others - Not adults but families would enjoy it
For the price there are many more wonderful hotels with far superior standards and better quality facilities even for those with families.
A shame for our very rare time away on our own :-(

Room Tip: Not a room above the outdoor eating/play area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Terralinarose
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of New Park Manor.
I have raised your concerns over the tidiness of the changing rooms with our Spa Manager who certainly takes your comments on board and has discussed them with her team.

Im pleased that the initial confusion over the publicised rate was manoeuvred and a swift resolution found, but I apologise for any distress this could have caused.

The hotel itself is part of a group called Luxury Family Hotels and our target market is squarely aimed at families. We make no excuses or apologies for this and we take great care with our marketing and web sites to ensure that all of our guests are aware of what facilities and services we offer.

I am sorry that New Park is not the hotel for you when enjoying an adult only break but we would delighted to welcome your family at a later date.

David and the team.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I don’t usually complain and I would consider myself a very well travelled person. I have been travelling for over a decade and have stayed at luxury hotels in Malaysia, Dubai, London, Manchester Hong Kong and many others. I have stayed at fours season hotels, Hilton group, Radisson, crowne plaza, and so forth.
I believe that I have a good eye for hotel quality and value.
I strongly believe that this hotel is falsely advertised. It is advertised as “ a luxury family hotel” and I paid in excess of £240 per night!!
I only chose to book it because of the fact I have a young 3 month old and I wanted a treat for my family.
I was utterly disappointed,
The front entrance is small and off to the side, not an inviting grand courtyard as you would expect from the pictures on the website.
As soon I walked in, the reception staff had little knowledge of the local area, could not initially find my booking, even tough I had paid a hefty deposit. They also had NO LIFT facilities and so I was left carrying my luggage by myself to the bedroom. Not exactly luxury service with a wife and baby!
There was no concierge, just a single female receptionist who was not available 24 hours.
The room was small and pokey and awful considering I was paying 250 pounds per night.
I cannot phathom how anyone can ask for so much money and offer so little.
Truly awful hotel. Avoid at all costs!!. You are paying for a third rate hotel.

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel. maybe book well in advance if you need to stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Mobeen A
greetings from the New Forest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, Im sorry that you feel the hotel did not match your expectations on this visit.

We don't have a concierge as such but we do have a dedicated and friendly team who are eager to assist in any way they can so Im sorry that you carried your luggage yourself, this is not out usual standard at all.

Our receptionist team, including night managers are available 24 hours a day to assist wherever necessary and in any way they can, so I apologise if there has been any confusion on this issue.

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back in the future and you are able to see the improvements that we are making constantly.

David and the team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Lime Wood Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,743 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!