New Park Manor
Rhinefield House Hotel(Brockenhurst)
  • Breakfast included
Lime Wood Hotel(Lyndhurst)
View Hotel
All reviewshot tubcinema roomfamily hotellistening servicekids clubluxury familyoutdoor jacuzzinappy binbaby listeningnew foresthotel catersmonth old sonmeal timesafternoon teaspa facilitieshigh chairhummus
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were a family group of 2 children and 7 adults. The service in the restaurant was poor most of the time. When I say poor I mean: hugely long waits for food (from 20 minutes to half an hour) between ordering and first food arriving, and similar waits between courses, lack of clearing the plates completely between courses, poorly trained staff in the basics with one or two exceptions, forgetting some orders (one meal 3 of the 9 of us simply did not receive their ordered food) and lack of interest from the staff in fulfilling any additional requests such as fresh toast at breakfast.
The front reception staff were mostly poor too. On arrival 2 parties of our group were given the wrong rooms, so the first night one couple, the wife being 8 months pregnant, were given the smallest room in the hotel (which should have gone to a single person in our group) with the result that they hardly got any sleep in a large single bed only instead of a double bed, with no shower over the bath in the bathroom (watch out as these are not stipulated in their information nor pointed out upon reservation) so the pregnant wife could also not bathe the next morning. This was in spite of the husband phoning down to reception twice to ask whether they hadn't been given the wrong room. We were furious the next morning at the mistake when we met at breakfast (they had arrived fairly late the previous evening) and realised what had happened. In addition we were told during the first evening (not when we checked in) that we would have to move room the next day as our room was booked the next night. We had booked about 7 months in advance and could not believe it - we had never been told that about this at anytime until that evening. They insisted, saying the other couple had specifically asked for our room….which actually beggars belief as we had booked so far in advance. In addition to these complaints I would say some beds were not that comfortable, with the mattress in our second room being lumpy and sagging resulting in 2 nights poor sleep for me. Also the pillows in both rooms were completely worn out, with virtually no filling left.
The attitude of staff, including the manager, was not apologetic nor did they offer any compensation. They did provide a free bottle of champagne on the last night when we told them it was our wedding anniversary and that was why we were there. But really they could have asked at the time of us reserving the rooms and done this anyway.
There were some good points about the hotel, hence the 2 star rating I'm giving it. The food was excellent when it arrived, and the childcare was also very good. It is very child friendly. The spa was also good, with those of us having a treatment all saying it was a very good experience, although it is quite an old fashioned spa and gym. The staff at the spa were all very good.
The bed linen on the beds were of good quality, which was very nice.
We took a dinner bed and breakfast deal, which was fairly reasonable, but as the wait for the meal was so long I wouldn't recommend doing that if you don't need to.

13  Thank havecrocswilltravel
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you and your family for taking the time to write your reviews, it is always disappointing to receive negative feedback despite our best efforts.

With regards to the room mix up, as I said at the time, we had no notes on the allocation of rooms for your party and allocated them as we thought correct, I am pleased that when we had word that this was not to your wishes, we changed as quickly as we could and offered complementary Champagne for the inconvenience.

As I mentioned during our previous conversations, we do not offer single beds as standard in any of our rooms. The room you reserved is classified as a small classic room, which has a standard double bed and this is the room you received.

All of our rooms are reserved by room type and allocated initially by any specific requests for particular rooms and where possible we these requests are met, had this been the case with your party we would of course tried our utmost to deliver this but I appreciate this could not have been the best start to your stay and for that I apologise, however my colleague was correct that we could not move rooms earlier and we did so as quickly as we possibly could.

Our restaurant team have of course taken your comments very seriously and are currently working on corrective training to ensure the smooth operation we operate continues to improve and we thank you for your comments on the food, spa and Den team, they are appreciated.

We hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future.

David and the team.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel as a birthday treat. I’d booked their function room a year ago for a birthday party and had had a wonderful time so we looked forward to our return.

It is in a super location right in the middle of the forest with a herd of deer living in the fields just beyond the hotel (look out for the white one). Brockenhurst station is only about a mile away if you are travelling by train and it has free WIFI.

Our room was on the first floor and elegantly furnished with a large sash window overlooking the garden. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. There was a TV & DVD player in the room with tea/coffee making facilities. The three course dinner is beautifully presented and delicious being served in one of three rooms at the back of the hotel overlooking the croquet lawn.

Your hotel stay includes entry to the spa which has a large swimming pool with Jacuzzis, warm tiled seat with footbath, sauna rooms etc. Just outside is a lovely café and do try the outdoor Canadian Hot Tub. It’s a delight to sit in here, relax and enjoy the views of the forest.

This is a hotel for families so do expect the giggles of excited children if you are an adults only party. The hotel lays on lots of activities to entertain them.

Sadly during our stay we had several issues which the management took seriously and resolved to our satisfaction. Their prompt attention was much appreciated and I was impressed by the level of customer service.

I know you will enjoy your stay at this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: There are no rooms on the ground floor so please be aware if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from the New Forest and thank you for your review.

Im so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that any issues encountered were dealt with sincerely and professionally.

Chef is delighted that you enjoyed the food so much and he thanks you for sharing your thoughts on here.

You're right about the location, we are very lucky to be right in the heart of The New Forest.

The team an d I hope to get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked over one year ago to go to what I thought was going to be a fantastic hotel. On arrival there was a couldnt care less attitude check in, the room was smaller than expected and hot. I asked for a small fridge which we eventually found but it had not been washed out an has a smell as my mother needed to have medication kept cool, There were no mugs in the room and also no safe to keep our items. We were told to manually lock the door or else it would be left open. On using the spa there was no receptionist and the watere jets in the pool were not working along with one of the foot spas. The breakfast was good but the waitress had no personality, we were left with used plates on the table and the smoked haddock which was ordered was still frozen in the middle. We asked for coffee on the 2nd morning and the cafeteria was filled with water but not coffee. Whe we explained this we got a curt look and not even an apology. On checking out we were not asked did we enjoy our stay, nothing. No customer service. I have to say one redeming feature was on arrival back into the hotel on the saturday evening we asked for some milk for the room and the young man could not have been more helpful, he had a lovely personality and even said have a good evening - he was charming and a total pleasure. Considering we paid £100 each per night for bed and breakfast I would have expected a more professional service and certainly the team to appreciate their guests. I will not be returning back to them....

Room Tip: The room was very quiet but very very hot and small, looking tired - did have tea and coffee facilities but had to ask for mugs, no safe, good hairdryer, nice bedding and towels.
11  Thank 42lynnp

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of New Park Manor, Im so sorry that we did not match our usual high standards of service on this occasion.

I have discussed your comments with the team here who are as unhappy as I am that we did not match your expectations and as a team we take comments on board.

The spa jets have now been repaired Im pleased to say. It is always frustrating to see equipment fail.
I offer no excuses for the unapologetic waitress and her coffee mishap, this is unacceptable and Im sure that following corrective training this will not happen again.

Im sure that should you return to New Park you will notice a significant improvement in standards and attention to detail.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay. Felt comfortable there with a 6 year old and a baby. My 6 year old decided it was the best ever holiday. Staff are very helpful and nothing too much trouble. Beautiful food, amazing staff at the crèche. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2014
David K, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hi there from The New Forest and thank you fro such a great review!

Im so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and felt comfortable with your family here, that's exactly what we aim for. Im sure that you and your family managed to make the most of our excellent facilities.

The team are thrilled that they helped in making your stay a memorable on we all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed from Sunday to Wednesday in August with our 10 week and 2 year old. We went to Manor Park because we had a recommendation from friends. It is right in the middle of the New Forest in a good setting beside a farm, a polo venue and a couple of campsites. It is a good distance from the main road.

Reception were generally helpful but sometimes seemed understaffed. We had to wait half an hour to check-in. The patio doors to the entrance are not easy to negotiate with buggies. The hotel could really do with an easier route from reception to the rest of the ground floor for buggies. Otherwise it is up a flight of stairs or through a couple of single doorways and over raised thresholds. The hotel would be well served by a lift.

We really liked the room. Room no.1, named 'Henry' was big as two adjoining rooms - one a big hotel room with a good view and another sort of reception/bed room with two z beds for children with side bars to stop them falling out. The z beds can fit an adult but are far from comfortable. There's plenty of space for a cot in here too. The bathroom was off this room and was a good size with good facilities. The room also had a split system air conditioning, which was a real bonus in the hot weather we've had. The rooms also achieve a good ‘black-out’ for getting children to sleep.

The food was very good and the waiting staff very courteous and helpful. The food often took a long time to turn up, particularly breakfast and lunch, which doesn't suit young children. If the weather is good, my tip would be to grab your table, order your food and go play outside, asking the staff to give you a shout when it's ready. We would have liked to see a change of the dinner menu for the three nights we stayed. We enjoyed our three evening meals utilising the listening service. The BT handheld ‘monitors’ did not work well in the main dining room, presumably because of the thick traditional construction walls. They seemed to work fine in the side dining room though. We were not the only ones to have this problem and the hotel should really sort this out. A relaxing meal becomes significantly less relaxing if your child monitor is not working!

We enjoyed the heated outdoor pool very much, which was a good temperature. We saw this being cleaned and it had a good cover.

Breast feeding around the hotel was not a problem and my wife was made to feel this was OK and normal (as it is of course). There were other mothers with breast feeding children being fed in communal areas. This is a big plus as no one wants to spend most of their break in the room or hiding elsewhere to breast feed.

There were not many children's toys outside except for a big trampoline and a couple of toy cars. I understood from talking to the manager that this was about to be improved significantly. I hope that is the case.

We used the childcare facility in 'The Den' for 2 hours for 3 days. This was great and my 2 year old daughter enjoyed it very much. The carer, Lucy is excellent and an asset to the hotel. The indoor 'Den' was very good. The outdoor area could do with newer facilities including a soft floor.

My wife used the gym and was pretty happy with it. She also enjoyed her massage. I enjoyed the lounge where I sat and read the paper for the first time in a long while whilst I ordered tea.

We very much enjoyed our stay and would probably go back again, if we can afford it. We paid circa £1,500 half board including childcare for three nights in a family room/suit. Bearing in mind that you can get 2 weeks half board holiday in a 4* Greek island resort with Mark Warner inc. childcare (out of school holidays) for £2,600, this was a big outlay!​

Room Tip: We were in the Henry room (room no.1,) which were were happy with. There is, I understand only one other room like this in the hotel.
1  Thank johnbartley75

Greeting from The New Forest and thank you so much for your detailed review.

Im so pleased you enjoyed your stay and it certainly looks like you made the most of our wonderful setting and facilities.

Henry is a great room with loads of space for a family and has great views across the parkland too.

You're right of course in that we have absolutely no problem with breast feeding in the hotel or its grounds, and you're right again..why would we?

We are aiming to have some large outdoor play equipment in the future and we are updating the smaller equipment all the time to make sure that they are all in tip top condition at all times.

The team are delighted that you found them to be friendly and efficient, exactly what we aim for!

I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to New Park Manor in the near furture.