“EXEMPLARY!!!”

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
“EXEMPLARY!!!”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Took my lady here for a surprise. Where to start? Reception staff informative and very professional, and knowledgable about Rhinefield House's history. Room was clean, plenty of tea/coffee/water available ('rufus' put a smile on our face). Food in the grill room was delicious (the lemon sole was DIVINE!) House wine was exceptionally good and very reasonably priced. Breakfast choice.... everything you could ask for available AND all diets catered for. The hotel staff seemed always willing to go that extra mile : especially the waiting staff. Grounds were tranquil, romantic and fun (even have their own maze and croquet lawn). Had fun there! Can't wait to go back... Thanks to everyone for our fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Guest rooms are to one side of the house. To the other are exclusive apartments.
2 Thank I M
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review entitled ‘Exemplary’.

Rufus is a real draw and I know brings a smile to all ages faces when he greets them on the bed. We only source produce from the Hampshire county which ensures the ingredients are very fresh. Norman my head chef was delighted to read you enjoyed your lemon sole in the Grill Room which has been a very popular dining destination since we launched it in June of this year. Breakfast choice is very comprehensive and enjoyed by all of our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back in due course to receive our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I booked 2 nights, classic room including breakfast. I chose Rhinefield House as it had that 'special' look about it and its location. Service was friendly from reception to being served a cream tea - gift from family. The hotel was full and yet the staff smiled all the time and their willingness to make you feel at ease was paramount. Breakfast was excellant with absolutely every choice you could imagine. There were no airs & graces, dress code was of your own choice, walkers don't need much but if we were to have had a meal in the restuarant then I would have packed accordingly. All the specific areas for relaxation or formal are clearly visible, the bedroom was comfortable, clean and well stocked with teas/coffee/milk, the grounds a pleasure to walk around and both nights we saw several deer. We didn't make use of the swimming pool/gym as we came to relax and it certainly was that. We highly recommend Rhinefield House to anyone whether regular hotel people or just that one off special occasion.

Room Tip: Ground floor overlooking pool. Pleasant outlook and close to exit for the car park.
1 Thank Jean P
Dear Guest

I was so pleased to read that your special birthday was a tremendous success at Rhinefield House Hotel.

From the moment the friendly welcome from reception to the quality of meals in our restaurants including breakfast.

Rhinefield House strives to be a hotel where it is acceptable to kick off your shoes and relax as if you were at home so it is encouraging to read you found the ambience reflective of our ethos.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2011

the wellcome from start to finish was excellant the service was very good indeed and the food was not over priced it was value for money ,the whole place was at peace to the world which was we wanted and nothing was to much trouble ,the only problem was coming back to the real world, thank god there are still places you can go like RHINEFIELD to shut down and relax the superor suite we stayed in was everthing you could wish for apart from maintaince problem and was delt with in a profesional manner NO I WILL STAY AGAIN NO QUESTION ABOUT IT .

Room Tip: GO FOR THE UP GRADE ITS WORTH IT,thesuperior suites ar extra but worth every pennye
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to list your review on Trip Advisor. On behalf of the team may I thank you for your kind words with regards to service, food and that nothing was too much trouble for the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield and if this current weather continues we will all be sitting around the outdoor pool with cocktails!

chichester
Reviewed 26 September 2011

fantastic location, room and food. grounds beautiful, ambiance excellent

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

Whilst short and precise I do feel the comments reflect the hard work of all the team members here at Rhinefield.

London
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We booked a two night stay with our friends and their 10 month old baby to spend some quality time in what we thought would be a fantastic setting...

Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendly reception team who checked us in and told us where our room was. Apparently there wasn't a porter available to help with our luggage as he was busy ... On arrival at our "classic" room I instantly felt deflated; I have never seen such a drab room in desperate need of some updating. I had requested a view over the gardens on booking but was bitterly disappointed to see that our view was in fact a glass building!

Whilst we were waiting for our friends to arrive, we went for a drink in the bar, after 15 mins we finally had our order taken by the bar manager who wasn't exactly polite to us – he challenged what my husband wanted to drink. Later that evening, when we were in the bar the bar manager came to take our order for dinner, he addressed 3 of us and then didn't even dain to look at my husband before saying "and you" in a terribly rude tone. My husband at this point went straight to reception to complain about this individual as he was nothing but rude since we arrived - he should probably consider a career change as the service industry is not for him...

However after we had placed our food order it became apparent that despite them telling us on booking that the baby monitor would work in the hotel, this was not the case and it didn’t work between the room and the bar let alone the restaurant which understandably concerned our friends as they didn't want to leave their baby where he couldn't be heard. When we told reception this on our way to dinner, the receptionist was very polite and someone who I think was the duty manager was terribly surly said "I’m sorry we can't move the hotel walls for baby monitors" - very rude...

We had ordered a bottle of white wine at the time or ordering our food, when it arrived it was luke warm so I asked for it to be cooled further before it was served. The best was yet to come, despite telling the waiting staff that I was allergic to shellfish the amuse bouche was lobster. When I was questioned whether it wasn't nice, I confirmed that I was allergic to shellfish and hence couldn't eat it - no apology just walked away. At this point our friends had gone back to the room to check on their baby to find him crying so brought him to join us at dinner. Our friend had ordered her starter without the mushrooms as she is allergic to them and the bisque froth but it arrived with all of unrequired items on the plate. When my friend informed the waiter of this, he just took it away, no apology, nothing.

The waiting staff slightly redeemed themselves by moving us to a smaller room for private dining with the baby. This was appreciated and the main course was reasonable and finally we got our white wine which was now very cold (but funnily enough it wasn't the same bottle we originally opened - had they found a chilled bottle somewhere else???). However we had just settled the baby and the restaurant manager dropped (we think on purpose) a knife to wake the baby up when it hit tiled floor. At this point our friends had to quickly eat their desert in order to take their upset baby back to bed and settle him.

However whilst we were eating, my friend was so upset with the overall situation and the terrible experience so far, we told reception that we would not be staying for the two nights as previously booked and would appreciate them finding us alternative accommodation for the second night. The lady at reception couldn't have been any nicer to us, she duly found us alternative accommodation at New Park Manor and agreed that due to the appalling experience we had with Rhinefield House that we would receive a full refund for the two nights.

The next morning we had breakfast in the Armada restaurant, the buffet was mediocre and the Full English was disappointing - the eggs were swimming in grease when they arrived - not my idea of a fine breakfast.

Unfortunately we didn't get the name of the lady at reception who dealt with us as I would personally like to thank her - she handled the situation very well and we appreciated her compassion in what was a terrible experience. She also managed to book us superb accommodation at New Park Manor .

Incidentally, this is the second hotel that I have stayed at in the Hand Picked Hotel Group (First being Rookery Hall in Cheshire) and I will NEVER stay at a Hand Picked Hotel again.

Room Tip: The Executive Rooms are pretty standard - The "Classic" rooms are poor even before being u...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank SarahLLondon
dorset, england
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Spent one night at the hotel after securing a good price for under occupancy. We have always wanted to stay at Rhinefield House and were really looking forward to the experience.
However, on arrival we were shown to our classic room which was extremely disappointing. The room is awaiting refurbishment and at present has a depressing drab colour scheme, dirty marks on the carpet, mould around the bath, wallpaper peeling off and ivy growing on the inside of the window frame! After complaining we were moved to a room downstairs which had been refurbished and was much more what we were expecting. The staff were all very friendly and attentive and our breakfast in the morning was very good. What a pity that management consider accomodating guests in rooms like this even when better rooms are available. At the end of the day first impressions do count and for this reason I doubt if we would return which is a real shame.If you are considering booking a room here insist on having a room that's already refurbished.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that's been refurbished!
1 Thank peeky
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
I was certainly disappointed with your impression and description of your initial bedroom. Whilst we are committed to continually invest in the hotel I do believe that all our bedrooms are befitting of a 4 star hotel. As I have mentioned before we do review all bedrooms on a rolling monthly basis to highlight areas which our in house maintenance team complete. I can find no hotel bedroom that has ivy growing on the inside of the window frame or any bedroom with a drab colour scheme. All our Classic bedrooms have a bright cream colour scheme. I was pleased to read we were able to move you to a vacant bedroom which is not always possible when you are busy as we are.
I was pleased to read you found the staff to be friendly and attentive.
As the general manager I am committed to always ensuring our bedrooms and public areas display to the best of our abilities.
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Although it is a 4 star hotel there is no airs and graces and you don't feel out of place wearing jeans etc. The staff are very nice and attentive and the food in the 'Grill Restaurant' was lovely. I had the Vegetarian option and although it was a basic dish the taste of the food was amazing and you got plently. The waiter in the lounge bar was really friendly, chatty & helpful and the lounge of the hotel is a lovely relaxing place to have a cocktail or 2. The bedroom (a classic room) was lovely and clean and the bed comfy, dressing gowns & slipper were provided which is always a nice touch and it was nice and quiet. The hotel grounds are lovely too. My only complaint is that the swimming pool is tiny and the water in it was very cloudy, the hot tub was not working either which was a shame. all in all though I would love to go back to this hotel and think the price of the room is well worth it, you definately get what you pay for with this hotel!

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Trip Advisor.

Rhinefield House has always tried to maintain a kick your shoes off and relax atmosphere. Whilst we offer efficient service we do want our guests to treat the hotel as if it was their own home!

Norman my head chef will be delighted that you enjoyed the Grill Room cuisine.

William has recently joined the team as our new bar, grill and terrace manager and like me was really pleased to read that you found the lounge waiter to be friendly and chatty.

I have noted your comments about the pool and can confirm that we were completing a routine back wash operation which did with regret cause some discolouring of water.

On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Best Wishes

Jonathan Owen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!